music sung in Finnish!

Moderator:Naava

RabidIrishGuy88
music sung in Finnish!

Postby RabidIrishGuy88 » 2006-05-07, 12:37

Alright, I'm trying to learn a little Finnish. One of my favorite ways to do such things is to find a band or music group who sings in the language I'm learning. Thus, my request is this:

Please leave the names/CDs of any Finnish singers that you like, and leave a description of their style of music/lyrics.

Thanks!
I'm back! I used to "unilang" all the time, years ago! Nice to see old avatars still around!

American English, native. Mexican Spanish, well. Turkish, pretty well. German, not bad. Irish, working on it. French, passable. Dutch elementary. Interested in learning Breton, Welsh, Cornish, at least being familiar with Scots Gaelic, Ojibwe bits and pieces, that kind of stuff. I'm all over the place.

Buke

Postby Buke » 2006-05-07, 14:34

I don´t know a band that sings finnish, but you might like to listen to "Hengettömiltä Hengiltä" by Korpiklaani (you can download it for free: http://www.spv.de/SoundsF/2/22952%7E0001012.mp3). Sadly, it is quite short but the singer pronounces the words very slowly and distinctly, which is convenient for a learner of the language :)

If you also want to read the lyrics, contact me.

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2006-05-07, 15:34

Try Scandinavian Music Group which is one of my personal favourites. From here you can download some videos: http://www.scandinavianmusicgroup.com/DOWNLOAD.html

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-05-07, 15:55

Do they have to sing only Finnish?

PMMP
Nightwish
HIM
Apocalyptica
Sentenced

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-05-07, 16:27

Loiks wrote:Try Scandinavian Music Group which is one of my personal favourites. From here you can download some videos: http://www.scandinavianmusicgroup.com/DOWNLOAD.html

They are fine, but I think they did better things in Ultra Bra.

Nem rosszak, de szerintem az Ultra Brában jobb dolgokat csináltak.
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-05-07, 17:00

ultra bra?

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-05-07, 21:17

As I`m slightly into world music, I can`t help mentioning Värttinä and Hedningarna; which at the other hand seem me to be so famous that I better should have helped not to mentioning them at all. :oops:

I like Kuupuu quite much, but here I only suppose it`s being sung in finnish, as I can`t even recognize if the gently broken creeping voice serves there just as another athmosphere-adding instrument, or if there is some real lyrics in it.

Steisi

Postby Steisi » 2006-05-07, 21:37

I like to listen to Apulanta, and I don't know how cool that makes me exactly :D
If you want I can send you some songs through dcc, its kind of rock pop stuff. Their newest single is "Usko" I think.

www.apulanta.fi
Native: English
Fluent: Finnish
Want to resuscitate: German
Actively learning: Hebrew
Wishes she had time for: Northern Sámi
En usko humalaan.

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2006-05-08, 9:26

Hreru, judging by those Kuupuu clips, you may like Paavoharju...

http://myspace.com/paavoharju
http://www.miasmah.com/music/index.html

I also share your interest in the more traditional styles of Finnish music.
If a tree falls in the woods
And no-one's there to hear
...the man under it scream
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-05-08, 10:45

Ulven wrote:Hreru, judging by those Kuupuu clips, you may like Paavoharju...

I do! :D
... however, I like them only since this very Friday, when I`ve heard two songs of them for the first time.
So, I wanted to say, if I didn`t happen to hear Paavoharju three days ago, I wouln`t know them at all, which would be a pitty, and then your tip would be something to thank for, therefore I thank you for it anyway ... :P

Fonal records seems to be very interesting record label. As they say about themselves, "there has been releases so far varying from ambient, experimental, naive pop to semi-acoustic psychedelic folk", which sounds good to me. I`ve heard Paavoharju and Kemialliset Ystävät from "their" artists, and liked them both; at the moment I`m listening to Islaja, because I found description of the music (music for growing plants :)) likeable.

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2006-05-08, 16:08

Loiks wrote:Try Scandinavian Music Group which is one of my personal favourites. From here you can download some videos: http://www.scandinavianmusicgroup.com/DOWNLOAD.html

thank you , i downloaded their videos,really nice

Loiks

Postby Loiks » 2006-05-08, 16:14

CoBB wrote:

They are fine, but I think they did better things in Ultra Bra.

Nem rosszak, de szerintem az Ultra Brában jobb dolgokat csináltak.

Well, Ultra Bra is past now unfortunately. Although it's really good, there's nothing new coming any more. But I guess the styles of UB and SMG are quite different, only connecting link is Terhi Kokkonen's voice (OK, something else too, that I can't express really). I have four UB cd's and two SMG's (three in next week), they're all fantastic to me.

CoBB

Postby CoBB » 2006-05-08, 17:44

Loiks wrote:I have four UB cd's and two SMG's (three in next week), they're all fantastic to me.

I think Nimikirjaimet is the best SMG album so far. The third one is a little step back in my eyes, even though it features a few good songs. But UB was much more imaginative. Of course three times as many brains can't hurt, especially if Koskinen is among them. ;)

Szerintem eddig a Nimikirjaimet a legjobb SMG album. A harmadik kicsit visszalépés a szememben, pedig van rajta egy-két jó szám. De az UB sokkal ötletesebb volt. Persze háromszor annyi agy sosem árt, főleg ha Koskinen is köztük van. ;)
Tanulni, tanulni, tanulni!

A pő, ha engemély, kimár / De mindegegy, ha vildagár... / ...mert engemély mindet bagul, / Mint vélgaban a bégahur!...

RabidIrishGuy88

Postby RabidIrishGuy88 » 2006-05-08, 19:12

Alright thanks y'all!
I'm back! I used to "unilang" all the time, years ago! Nice to see old avatars still around!

American English, native. Mexican Spanish, well. Turkish, pretty well. German, not bad. Irish, working on it. French, passable. Dutch elementary. Interested in learning Breton, Welsh, Cornish, at least being familiar with Scots Gaelic, Ojibwe bits and pieces, that kind of stuff. I'm all over the place.

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2006-05-09, 1:59

hreru wrote:Fonal records seems to be very interesting record label. As they say about themselves, "there has been releases so far varying from ambient, experimental, naive pop to semi-acoustic psychedelic folk", which sounds good to me. I`ve heard Paavoharju and Kemialliset Ystävät from "their" artists, and liked them both; at the moment I`m listening to Islaja, because I found description of the music (music for growing plants :)) likeable.
My local music store, which has the best 'world music' section in my state, maybe even my country, has just ordered 4 cd's from Fonal at random. I'll take a squiz at them when they arrive with the headphones at the store if I haven't already heard the samples on the website :D The album I bought, by Paavoharju, was moved from the world music section to the electronic section. The guy in the store and I agreed that more people would find what they were looking for if it were placed there.
Personally, I'd be happy if this style of music is an up and coming movement for Finland. At the moment, the Scandinavian section would be a haven for people who like the pop and metal styles. But my favourite styles aren't as plentiful there. But this experimental stuff could be a new under-current in Finnish music, at least in its being sold overseas. I'll wait and see.
I've actually learnt to sing one of Paavoharju's songs. It's quite a challenge, given that I'm a male singer :lol: I love singing high-pitched ethereally, haha.
Incidentally, I find it interesting to know that they're (Paavoharju members) Born-again Christians. It shows how diverse the world is getting. Not even Born-again Christianity can be tied down to a stereotypical image now, which is nice :) They come across moreso like the witch or heathen stereotype, haha.
The lyrics are beautiful. They are similar to the lyrics of Hedningarna (the Heathens) and other folk-based music. Nice contrast to the odd and scary sound they have.
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

Egein

Postby Egein » 2006-05-09, 2:12

It's so amazing how finnish is a clear language. I understand every word I know! It's such a relief from icelandic.

Finnish makes me want to give up Icelandic!
(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Ulven

Postby Ulven » 2006-05-09, 5:49

Egein wrote:It's so amazing how finnish is a clear language. I understand every word I know!
Unfortunately, this only applies to the spoken words which actual resemble the written form. But 'tis true, one can hear the pronunciation better than with many languages. Even if I don't know what the words mean, I can often write down what I've heard when I hear an excerpt. In Danish, forget about it! They might as well not have a written form, haha
Is he really hurt?
And did he deserve it?

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-09, 8:58

Ulven wrote:
Incidentally, I find it interesting to know that they're (Paavoharju members) Born-again Christians.

Really :shock: ? I didn't know there was a movment of born-again Christianity here in Finland. Or maybe I just know it by another name or something... But it's really refreshing to know that active Christians can make all kinds of music, not just the spreading-the-message kind :P .

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2006-05-09, 9:03

Ulven wrote:In Danish, forget about it! They might as well not have a written form, haha

Hearing Danish makes me want to laugh :oops:. And I'm always embarrased that I can only understand about 3% of it :oops: .

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-05-09, 17:09

And as this thread`s topic is slowly turning from the original Music sung in Finnish to Difficulties of Danish, may I turn it back ... a bit ... and ask (preferably Ulven) about any interesting Danish music? :wink:
As I`m thinking of it now, isn`t it inappropriate and maybe even rude, asking such a question in Finnish forum, though the Danish one is just behind the corner? :oops:

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”