Is there a Finnish something like Reddit?

Moderator:Naava

Woods
Is there a Finnish something like Reddit?

Postby Woods » 2021-07-09, 10:02

Is there a Finnish-language something like Reddit, with different sections where people discuss different things?

I want to use it to market my French lessons, and also maybe to chit-chat from time to time about different stuff in order to practise my Finnish or discuss what's going on (I could also do here but I come mainly when I have a linguistic question).

Naava
Forum Administrator

Re: Is there a Finnish something like Reddit?

Postby Naava » 2021-07-24, 8:43

The closest similar thing I can come up with is Jodel, but I'm not sure if you'd find any students from there unless maybe if you paid for an advertisement. There's also vauva.fi, but it's typically used by middle-aged people, and suomi24, but I don't know how popular it is today or how seriously people would take your message there because I haven't used it myself. Facebook might also work, but teenagers have escaped from there to Instagram and Snapchat so if that's your target group, it's no use.

But you could use all of the above to chitchat to practise Finnish. (Although be warned: Jodel is a popular app with lots of users, discussions about what's happening in your city at the moment, subcategories with themes that might interest you, and threads with genuinely nice and helpful people, which all might sound good to you - but there's also lots of trolls. If you go there, don't take stuff too seriously.)

Woods

Postby Woods » 2021-07-25, 9:44

Naava wrote:The closest similar thing I can come up with is Jodel, but I'm not sure if you'd find any students from there unless maybe if you paid for an advertisement. There's also vauva.fi, but it's typically used by middle-aged people, and suomi24, but I don't know how popular it is today or how seriously people would take your message there because I haven't used it myself. Facebook might also work, but teenagers have escaped from there to Instagram and Snapchat so if that's your target group, it's no use.

Thanks for the overview!

I actually meant Reddit as a website - I know that is has an app too, but I don't feel like installing something extra on my phone. And this Jodel is an app only - but I had never heard of it, it's good to know :)

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2021-07-28, 6:11

There's also Ylilauta, which I really would not recommend to anyone, but it matches what you're looking for nonetheless. (not like it's that much worse than vauva.fi anyways :lol: )

A smaller but still quite active community is LearnFinnish server on Discord. Maybe not the best place to advertise your lessons, but it's a good place for practicing your Finnish online.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

stefan85

Postby stefan85 » 2022-08-10, 3:01

Ma lihtsalt kasutan Redditi soome subreddite uurimiseks lihtsalt mugavuse huvides. Ma ei usu, et ma viitsiksin proovida otsida mingeid eksklusiivseid saite, aga hea teada, et on olemas. Niikaua kui foorumis räägitakse muust kui autodest, olen huvitatud.

Return to “Finnish (Suomi)”