Czech music

Mantaz
Czech music

Postby Mantaz » 2005-05-07, 15:12

Hi to everybody,

I'm really in Eastern Europe music and already got some Estonian, Latvian, Polish, Ukrainian, Bosnian and Serbian songs, but here I also need some Czech music to get ;)

So could you recommend some famous Czech singers to look for and give some links to mp3, if possible.

Thank you in advance :)

Re: Czech music

Postby Guest » 2005-05-16, 18:00

I commend website www.freemusic.cz

Mantaz

Postby Mantaz » 2005-05-17, 18:40

Thank you! :D

Cassius

Postby Cassius » 2005-07-04, 7:40

Ahoj! I like Nohavica, a very versatile singer.

Mara

Postby Mara » 2005-07-04, 18:04

Cassius wrote:Ahoj! I like Nohavica, a very versatile singer.

Welcome! How do you know Nohavica? In Italy? :shock: Are you a Czech, or do you have any relatives/close friends in the Czech Republic? I thought Nohavica's songs were very Czech (I mean, not easily understandable by a non-native speaker or someone without the cultural background).
I am always sorry when any language is lost, because languages are the pedigree of nations.
-- Samuel Johnson, in: The Journal of a Tour to the Hebrides by James Boswell (1785)

Cassius

Nohavica in Italy...

Postby Cassius » 2005-07-10, 12:20

Ahoj Mara!
Yes, a friend of mine lent me her cd and I liked it very much. So when I went to Czech republic I bought Nohavica's songs. I understand some words but his lyrics are very difficult to understand not only for the language but also for the themes which are very close to the Czech mentality.
I always try to read the texts and to translate them so that I can understand better the meaning. The music itself is very nice to listen to.

Pa pa.

darkina

Postby darkina » 2005-07-16, 16:56

One Czech band I really like is Krystof. My Czech penfriend sent me some songs from this band :)
век живи, век учись, а дураком помрешь

Pleasures remain, so does the pain

Kojott

Postby Kojott » 2005-07-20, 14:27

And what about Dan Bárta?

He's a very good singer...

George

Krígl

Postby Krígl » 2005-09-14, 11:34

I can recommend Karel Kryl, great folksinger. If you like metal, then Silent Stream of Godless Elegy (singing in English except one song but still excellent), Forgotten Silence or Dark Gamballe (singing in Gamballe, their own ConLang). Or Do Shaska! - indefinable style (militant ethno? industrial? perverted dance music?). From Slovakia Ľahká múza, Slovak sung industrial gothic, very gloomy and touching. You´d have the advantage with them cause their last album was issued by Lithuanian Dangus production, so it´s easier to buy it there. And from Hungary Kiss Erzsi (will force you to dance even if you don´t want to) and Scivias (neofolk avantgarde), both sung in Hungarian.

Rikita

Postby Rikita » 2005-11-04, 23:34

one of my very favorite singers is czech... Iva Bitova... though I guess her music may not be everyone's taste... but it's really great...

Rapunzela

Postby Rapunzela » 2005-11-29, 17:40

Tak jsem našla odpověď na jednu z mých otázek. Už vím, že posloucháš Ivu Bittovou. Já taky, je opravdu úžasná. Zatím se nemůžu nabažit netu doma, ale blíží se vánoce a času bude čím dál míň. Aspoň u nás je prosinec časem spousty vánočních a adventních koncertů, výstav, mikulášských a vánočních večírků a návštěv. Taky se předpokládá ( od žen), že se doma pořádně uklidí a napeče se spousta cukroví, vyzdobí se byt atd. atd.

luap

Postby luap » 2006-12-06, 22:09

I found this when searching for Latvian Music???

Boli sme raz milovaní - The origional version by Pavol Habera is beautiful even though I don't understand a word.

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2006-12-06, 22:13

@luap:
Pavol Habera is actually a Slovak singer and that song is in Slovak language, not Czech, even though I don't know it... :wink:
If you want the translation, don't hesitate to ask.
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

luap

Postby luap » 2006-12-07, 14:01

I assumed it was Czech as I found the lyrics on a Czech site :D

The Finnish Spaniard

traband

Postby The Finnish Spaniard » 2006-12-08, 2:54

I really like the Czech band "Traband". I saw a music video of theirs on Link TV of their song "Cernej Passazer" (sp?).

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2006-12-08, 17:11

right, it's "Černej pasažer" and it can be translated into English like "storeaway" or "deadhead" I don't know which one you use. :D
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

The Finnish Spaniard

Postby The Finnish Spaniard » 2006-12-08, 23:50

Aachie, are you a fan of Traband?

-Michael

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2006-12-09, 16:40

actually not really, hadn't heard of them before you mentioned 'em :wink: :oops: well maybe I did, but I don't know them by name...

hreru

Postby hreru » 2006-12-09, 20:12

The Finnish Spaniard wrote:Aachie, are you a fan of Traband?

If you're looking for one, here I am, at your service. :D

hreru

Re: Czech music

Postby hreru » 2008-11-04, 20:54

I thought i might introduce some Czech music that would be suitable to listening to the language, something nice and clear and quiet, my attention to to this goal has been distracted by a series of associations though, so the result is closer to a small collection of some of my favourites. :)

Mňága a Žďorp plays pleasant smooth rock, „happy songs about sad things“ as they put it. Melodic music and pessimistic lyrics about how life is grey and dull, sung in rather monotonous uninterested voice.

Folk musicians/singer-songwriters tend to sing clearly, so I thought of Karel Plíhal with his soothing guitar and playful sung poems; Jaroslav Hutka – he writes his own deeply philosophical songs, but I always liked him singing traditional folk stuff better for I usually didn’t get the point of the lyrics he wrote; and Sestry Steinovy , two girls playing guitars and singing in their charachteristic cheerful way. Relaxing.

Another two girls came to mind, this time playing cellos, Tara Fuki. They usually sing in Polish though, so I wouldn’t recommend it for learning Czech. Otherwise strongly recommended. :)
And as we’re still among females, Radůza plays an original mixture of anything she met on her journeys, using accordion mostly.

Another accordionist with passionate way of expression, lyrics with humanistic message and cute sense of humour, Vašek Koubek. Try number 5 – Sedni a jen se dívej – there could be hardly anything more optimistic in the world. :D Here, in song number 4 - Hospoda – there's Traband playing along. Traband, a group that broke up two years or so ago, but recently they started anew, that means with completely new repertoir and approach to music. I like their older things, inspired by Balkans brass music, gipsy music, klezmer and old Prague street songs, more. This song belongs to the old ones.

A bit of alternative rock, Ty Syčáci and Už jsme doma. Oh this song of the latter is cute, too. Big show. :mrgreen:
Funny that I can never say anything about music I love the most. :hmm:

To finish on a classical note, here’s some classical rock, Hudba Praha and classical underground, Psí vojáci. :ohwell:

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”