Is it allowed to write ú instead of ů?

Woods
Is it allowed to write ú instead of ů?

Postby Woods » 2017-02-11, 13:53

For a complete beginner, what do the acute accents mean?

I read somewhere that u with the round thing (ů) is indeed ú, but they decided to write it differently for some reason. Is this because the person who got to decide had a special thing for Scandinavia or one of the Scandinavian countries? The Czech money is also called "crowns," so I couldn't help but ask myself the question.

And my main question is: is it allowed to write ú instead of ů, if I find it more consistent with the overall orthography and I like it better, or would that be wrong? I would also be happy writing the round thing everywhere instead of the accents, but I don't think that's possible :)

supikoira

Re: Is it allowed to write ú instead of ů?

Postby supikoira » 2017-02-15, 14:16

For a complete beginner, what do the acute accents mean?
Acute accent is ´ and means long pronunciation - a short x á long

I read somewhere that u with the round thing (ů) is indeed ú, but they decided to write it differently for some reason. Is this because the person who got to decide had a special thing for Scandinavia or one of the Scandinavian countries? The Czech money is also called "crowns," so I couldn't help but ask myself the question.
I think there is nothing with Scandinavia. In fact ring over the u is o :D So changes throught ages were ó - uo - then u with little o on its right side down I cannot write it - and finally ů.

And my main question is: is it allowed to write ú instead of ů, if I find it more consistent with the overall orthography and I like it better, or would that be wrong? I would also be happy writing the round thing everywhere instead of the accents, but I don't think that's possible :)
Definitely not. But you can try it. :D

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-15, 15:39

Woods wrote:And my main question is: is it allowed to write ú instead of ů, if I find it more consistent with the overall orthography and I like it better, or would that be wrong? I would also be happy writing the round thing everywhere instead of the accents, but I don't think that's possible :)

There's more than one way to be "consistent". The reasons for maintaining distinct symbols are more than just historical. <ů> alternates with <o> whereas <ú> does not, e.g. <dům>, locative <domu>, but <úl>, loc. <úlu>.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2017-02-15, 18:26

Oh, so both letters ú and ů are present in the Czech alphabet... apparently what I've read (that the ů took over the ú) was wrong. So ú is a long u, what is ů then?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-15, 18:33

Woods wrote:Oh, so both letters ú and ů are present in the Czech alphabet... apparently what I've read (that the ů took over the ú) was wrong. So ú is a long u, what is ů then?

They represent the same sound from different sources, like <rz> and <ż> in Polish. There's a summary of the historical developments here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czech_orthography#Letter_.C5.AE. (My understanding is the that <ou> often replaces <ú> in vernacular speech, but I don't know the details.)
Last edited by linguoboy on 2017-02-15, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Woods

Postby Woods » 2017-02-15, 18:34

I’m also curious – what are Ď, Ň and Ť?

I also see the small letters Ď and Ť are written with an apostrophe instead of the accent – probably because it’s considered the accent wouldn’t fit with the line of the d, or for some other reason?

For these two, is it allowed to write the accent instead of the apostrophe?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2017-02-15, 18:38

Woods wrote:I’m also curious – what are Ď, Ň and Ť?

I also see the small letters Ď and Ť are written with an apostrophe instead of the accent – probably because it’s considered the accent wouldn’t fit with the line of the d, or for some other reason?

For these two, is it allowed to write the accent instead of the apostrophe?

Do you not have access to Wikipedia articles in your country?

Woods

Postby Woods » 2017-02-15, 22:26

Yes, but I've been too busy today. I'll check it :)

And I also added an extra reply before your last post indeed...

opipik

Postby opipik » 2017-02-26, 8:17

Yes, you can write the accent, but the apostrophe is used more.

הענט

Postby הענט » 2017-05-06, 8:52

Woods wrote:For a complete beginner, what do the acute accents mean?

It's easy. At the beginning of a word you write ú and in the middle there's ů. The only exceptions are some compound words like trojúhelník (triangle) = troj úhelník ( pětiúhelník etc.) and some foreign words. For example kůra (tree bark) and kúra ( cure).

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”