Můj český deník.

Aurelia
Můj český deník.

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-19, 11:50

(Please help with anything in italics and correct mistakes...)

Ahoj vsichni!

Jsem "Aurelia", studentka z Finska. Studuju angličtinu at the university, je můj poslední rok. Taky studuju čestinu, protože myslím že česky je krasný jazyk. Snažím se mluvit a psát hodně – chci se učit.

Byla jsem v Praze v listopadu (taky two times before) a doufám že one day možná můžu bydlet tam. Chci studovat čestinu at Karlova Univerzita, ale bohužel je příliš drahý...

To je vsechno for now... Brzo budu psát vice!
[flag]fi[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]he[/flag]

Ashrak

Re: Můj český deník.

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-19, 14:15

Aurelia wrote:(Please help with anything in italics and correct mistakes...)

Ahoj vsichni!

Jsem "Aurelia", studentka z Finska. Studuju angličtinu at the university na vysoké škole, je můj poslední rok (i'm not sure what do you mean by this, but probably it would without the comma: posledním rokem). Taky studuju čestinu, protože myslím že česky čeština je krasný jazyk. Snažím se mluvit a psát hodně – chci se učit.

Byla jsem v Praze v listopadu (taky two times before, czech would say "this was my third time already: už potřetí) a doufám že tam možná one day [b]jednou budu moct bydlet možná můžu bydlet tam. Chci studovat čestinu at Karlova Univerzitana Karlově Univerzitě, ale bohužel je to příliš drahý...

To je pro teď všechno for now... Brzo budu psát napíšu více!

Ahoj Aurelie,
doufám, že ti to pomohlo. Kdybys měla jakékoliv otázky nebo se zeptat :)

Edit:
I'm gonna explain some things :)

Vysoká škola vs. Univerzita - When can only undergraduate and graduate degree it's Vysoká škola (don't confuse with High school) if you can get post-graduate as well then it's Univerzita, but in general day-to-day speech we use Vysoká škola regardless of the type (Univerzita is seldomly used, only when it's part of the name, as in Karlova Univerzita)

česky vs čeština -> Umím česky - I can [speak] czech, but čeština je těžká -> Czech [language] is hard :)
native: [flag=]cs[/flag]
almost native(C2 level): [flag=]en[/flag][flag=]de[/flag]
understand natively, but not speak much:[flag=]sk[/flag]
just started: [flag=]eu[/flag][flag=]es[/flag]
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-19, 16:34

Děkuju moc!

By poslední rok / rokem I mean that I graduate (with Master's) after this year, so it is my last year at the university.

And oh yes, the psát-napsat -thing is still an unknown territory for me, since Finnish doesn't have that difference in the verb but in the object (e.g. Kirjoitin kirjeen - I wrote a letter [and finished it] vs. Kirjoitin kirjettä - I was writing a letter). But I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.
Last edited by Aurelia on 2012-01-19, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-19, 16:42

Nemáš za co,

well there are many ways to say that it's you final year, the most used way would be to use to the word "ročník" for year, so: Studuju angličtinu na vysoké a jsem v posledním ročníku (i'm in my last year)

ročník is more like grade in, first grade, second grade like on high school or elementary school, but we use it in connection to university as well :)

Anyway if you'd like occasional chat in Czech you can contact me on Skype (text only as my microphone died last month :( ) -> ashrak8

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-19, 21:49

Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that some time, though at the moment my problem is that my internet only works five minutes at a time...

As to my Czech studies... Studuju čestinu třikrát týden, ale není dost. Myslím že the best way učit se jazyky je bydlet in the country. A nebydlím v České Republice. Tak, musím objevit other ways of hearing Czech: Youtube :).

Protože jsem Finka, tak zajimám se o hokej. Můj oblíbený tým je Leijonat z Finska, samozřejmě, ale taky mám ráda český národní tým. A můj oblíbený hokeijisti jsou finský útočník Saku Koivu a český brankář Ondřej Pavelec. Tak... Můžu hledám videa!

Napřiklad: http://youtu.be/FutrSaDEYN0

The first time I watched this, I did not understand one single word, except for his name :). But I watched it again, and again, and again... And suddenly started hearing things!

...slávný brankář
...poznáte kdo to je?
...vstávám, trening (spelling?), spánek, odpoledne
...hezké povolání
...bydlím sám
...proč - nevím
...který holky
...líbí se vám
...pozitivní, sympatický
...nezalezí
...světlý, blondýnka
...poslední milá
...černý vlasy
...co děláte?
...mám to správně?

Things I recognise! Even though I understand less than 5% of the vocabulary used, I am able to guess they talk about how isn't being a goalie boring when a lot of the action happens somewhere else, about if he recognises the forwards and who are the most dangerous scorers, about if he has any special rituals on game days, and about how he lives alone, is single (I think??) and what kind of girls he likes. Although the actual content of course is still a mystery - I don't know what his ideal girlfriend is like :).

I also notice things like how the polite form is used - something that would not happen on Finnish tv. And how he says "no" and "jo" for "ano". And "Prosím?" when he doesn't hear the question.

AND - this is the real language I want to learn to understand! So Youtube - the best free teacher there is ;). I'll keep doing this on the days I don't have class, no matter how little I understand at first.

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-20, 6:36

Aurelia wrote:Thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that some time, though at the moment my problem is that my internet only works five minutes at a time...

As to my Czech studies... Studuju čestinu třikrát týden týdně, ale není to dost. Myslím že the best way nejlepší způsob jak se učit se jazyky je bydlet in the country v dané (or té) zemi. Ale já nebydlím v České Republice nebydlím. Tak, musím objevit (better would be najít, eventhough objevit je taky správně) najít other ways of hearing Czech jiné způsoby jak poslouchat češtinu: Youtube :).

Protože jsem Finka, tak zajimám se o hokej. Můj oblíbený tým je samozřejmě Leijonat z Finska, samozřejmě (we don't put of course, or obviously separately), ale taky mám ráda český národní tým. A můj moji oblíbenýí hokeijisti jsou finský útočník Saku Koivu a český brankář Ondřej Pavelec. Tak... Můžu hledám videa! (what was the original sentence?)

Napřiklad: http://youtu.be/FutrSaDEYN0

The first time I watched this, I did not understand one single word, except for his name :). But I watched it again, and again, and again... And suddenly started hearing things!

...slávný brankář
...poznáte kdo to je?
...vstávám, tréning (spelling? -> correct :) ), spánek, odpoledne
...hezké povolání
...bydlím sám
...proč - nevím
...který holky
...líbí se vám
...pozitivní, sympatický
...nezaleží
...světlý, blondýnka
...poslední milá
...černý vlasy
...co děláte?
...mám to správně?

You use quite colloquial language, with lot of forms that aren't gramatically correct, but are used in day-to-day language, should i correct them as well, or let them be? :)

Aurelia wrote:Things I recognise! Even though I understand less than 5% of the vocabulary used, I am able to guess they talk about how isn't being a goalie boring when a lot of the action happens somewhere else, about if he recognises the forwards and who are the most dangerous scorers, about if he has any special rituals on game days, and about how he lives alone, is single (I think??) and what kind of girls he likes. Although the actual content of course is still a mystery - I don't know what his ideal girlfriend is like :).

Jan Kraus (the moderator) is very sarcastic (i mean sometimes even czechs have hard time to get the actual meaning sometimes) and he said that it IS boring. But the rest you got right :)

About the ideal girlfriend he said that he won't tell, as he don't want to loose posibilities :) (for example if he said he likes blondes and met a dark haired girl whom he liked and she said: "Oh but you said you liked blondes" <- his own reasoning.

Aurelia wrote:I also notice things like how the polite form is used - something that would not happen on Finnish tv. And how he says "no" and "jo" for "ano". And "Prosím?" when he doesn't hear the question.

Prosím is the czech word for Please or Excuse me. "No" and "jo" are the colloquial forms for ano, which are acceptable in a talk show, but not in News for example. About the polite form, not sure what you mean?

Aurelia wrote:AND - this is the real language I want to learn to understand! So Youtube - the best free teacher there is ;). I'll keep doing this on the days I don't have class, no matter how little I understand at first.

You rock, keep at it :) (i wouldn't understand a word in Finnish :-D )
interested in: [flag=]sv[/flag][flag=]he[/flag][flag=]ja[/flag][flag=]grc[/flag]

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-20, 8:56

Ashrak wrote:Můžu hledám videa! (what was the original sentence?)

Můžu hledat videa? Would that be right? I can look for videos (on Youtube)?

You use quite colloquial language, with lot of forms that aren't gramatically correct, but are used in day-to-day language, should i correct them as well, or let them be? :)

Hmmm, this is interesting, because I speak the way / words my teacher teaches me - I don't know if they are formal or colloquial :D. Of course I need to be able to understand colloquial too, if I want to spend time in Czech Republic. So if you don't mind, it would be helpful if you can point out the difference.

Jan Kraus (the moderator) is very sarcastic (i mean sometimes even czechs have hard time to get the actual meaning sometimes) and he said that it IS boring. But the rest you got right :)

About the ideal girlfriend he said that he won't tell, as he don't want to loose posibilities :) (for example if he said he likes blondes and met a dark haired girl whom he liked and she said: "Oh but you said you liked blondes" <- his own reasoning.

I got that sarcastic feeling from his tone and the few things I understood, like ("oh that's a nice profession" --> e.g. you get to sleep all afternoon). Actually, I kind of do like sarcasm, and when I lived in the Oceanian countries, they sometimes didn't understand me... Ooops. Oh well, I don't like being mean though, and I don't think I made any enemies.

And hey, maybe I have a chance if he is still single ;)... (Though I don't want to live in Winnipeg so that's a problem!)

Prosím is the czech word for Please or Excuse me. "No" and "jo" are the colloquial forms for ano, which are acceptable in a talk show, but not in News for example. About the polite form, not sure what you mean?

Well in Finnish we would say "sori?" (colloquial 'sorry', obviously loaned from English) or "mitä?" ('what?'), if we need repetition. So my first reaction would be to blurt out "Co?!" (or "what" in English) if I didn't hear something. But it's not exactly polite.

By the polite form I mean the verbs, poznáte, máte, děláte, and so on. We have the same in Finnish: you can use the 2. person plural form to address one person to be more polite. Interestingly enough, it also ends with -te :)! However, as an extremely informal and almost "rude" nation (who doesn't have a word for "please", for example), we don't really use it, unless we are talking with the elderly in an official situation or someone like the president. If Saku Koivu was on a talk show in Finland, there is no way the host would say something like "olette pelannut", "hral jste", but "olet pelannut", or even more informal "sä oot pelannut", "hral jsi".

In English I've had to get used to small talk and more politness, in Czech I think I'll have to be even more attentive to these things - which is a part of getting into the mindset of the language.
Last edited by Aurelia on 2012-01-20, 10:22, edited 2 times in total.

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-20, 9:26

Aurelia wrote:Můžu hledat videa? Would that be right? I can look for videos (on Youtube)?

yes that's correct :)

Aurelia wrote:Hmmm, this is interesting, because I speak the way / words my teacher teaches me - I don't know if they are formal or colloquial :D. Of course I need to be able to understand colloquial too, if I want to spend time in Czech Republic. So if you don't mind, it would be helpful if you can point out the difference.

the words are ok, the difference is in conjugation and declination :) as i will have more time, i will show you the the difference

Aurelia wrote:And hey, maybe I have a chance if he is still single ;)... (Though I don't want to live in Winnipeg so that's a problem!)

Well don't want to spoil your dreams ;) but the video is already over six months old :-P

Aurelia wrote:In English I've had to get used to small talk and more politness, in Czech I think I'll have to be even more attentive to these things - which is a part of getting into the mindset of the language.

Czechs are quite sensitive to this, e.g. you can use "ty" to a person you didn't know before (there are some exclusion, like interest groups with familiar atmosphere etc) and according to your social position to the other person you need to either wait to be asked to use "ty" or when it's appropriate offer using the familiar form

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-20, 10:29

So is it the woman who suggests using ty-forms? Or the older (or somehow "higher") person? How do you say it in Czech?

I have heard that in German colleagues who have worked together for 35 years might still call each other Sie - is it the same in Czech or do you eventually start using ty, if you get to know each other?

I was with my Czech friend when she was introduced to a man about the same age, and later on she said she had no idea if she should've said dobrý den instead of ahoj, but since they were introduced with first names only, she said ahoj. Somehow I'm glad we don't have this problem in Finnish :).

P.s. A girl can always dream... He is nice to look at you know! :D

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-20, 10:48

Usually it is woman, unless she i way younger (like when the woman is in her twenties and the man fities/sixties than it's up to him), or she is the employee in the boss-employee relation (even though she might be older). Under same gender it is always the older who has tu offer (unless again boss-employee relation)

Yes it is much the same as in German :) one exception are generally ENglish speaking companies, where in many of them is Ty used straight from the first day (as the one i'm working in).

In Czech is acceptable polite form and first name, but since she is the woman she could choose whether to use Ty or VY

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-20, 10:54

Anyway this is a VEEEEERY difficult topic :) which very hard to explain with all it's unwritten rules and exceptions :)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-20, 12:41

I can only imagine... Haha! So let's pretend I'm in Prague and a man starts talking to me using vy - how would I tell him to say ty instead?

Because in English, this usually happens when you meet someone's parents, and you call them Mr and Mrs Smith, and they say "Oh please call me Bob/Mary". But you said that in Czech first name doesn't necessarily mean you can use ty.

In Finnish we have a special verb, sinutella, for calling someone ty instead of vy (teititellä), but like I said it is so rare that I have never been in a situation in which I would've had to say that.

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-20, 12:51

Tykej mi. (for saying say Ty to me)
anebo
Vykejte mi. (say Vy to me)

the second one is implied therefore we use it only as a as noun "vykání" e.g. Já si s ním vykám (I'm sayng vy to him and he to me)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-20, 21:00

Ok, I'm going to try that some time!

Today I've been working on the accusative. Since I've gone to my Czech class for only two months, we haven't covered the other cases yet (I've glanced at them but I'll try to learn this one well first). Since Finnish has 14 cases, I'm not really scared of Czech, though the Slavic mindset is different and adjusting to it takes time.

Tohle je dárek.
Tohle je pro jednoho mého kamaráda.
Tohle je pro jednou moji kamaradku.

And here is another thing that confuses me: demonstrative pronouns. There's ten, ta & to, meaning 'the/this'. And also tenhle = tento? tahle = tato? tohle = toto? meaning 'this (here)'. What's the difference?

Should this example be "Tenhle je dárek", since dárek is masculine? Or is that for when you say something like "Tenhle dárek byl drahý". Similarly "To je pes." - "Ten pes je starý."?

Ashrak

Postby Ashrak » 2012-01-21, 10:40

The example with the dog is perfect. Cause when you are specyfing some object for the first time you TO
TOHLE je pes -> THIS is a dog
TENHLE pes je starý -> This DOG is old

ten, ta & to is more like that -> Teb muž byl divný - That guy was weird

The difference between tenhle and tento, is that tenhle is colloquial and tento is formal form and it both means this here (usually you accompany it by showing by your hand or looking at it which of them you mean).

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-22, 19:02

Děkuji moc zase!

Dnes večer jsem unavená! O vikendu jsem pracovala - dvanáct hodin v sobotu a šest hodin dnes. Pracuji jako prodavačka a obvykle se mi líbí, ale dvanáct hodin není žádná legrace. A ted' nemůžu studovat, protože jsem příliš unavená...

Ale vím, že zítra bude lépe (nebo lepší?)... :)

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-22, 21:43

Oh and please can you recommend some current Czech bands? Male vocalist, rock/pop style, possibly with an electro twist, is my favourite style, but I'll listen to anything really :).

perskychrt

Postby perskychrt » 2012-01-23, 10:25

Aurelia wrote:Pracuji jako prodavačka a obvykle se mi líbí

"obvykle se mi to líbí" - you have to put the subject here;

Aurelia wrote:Ale vím, že zítra bude lépe (nebo lepší?)

Lépe is correct ;)

Aurelia wrote:Oh and please can you recommend some current Czech bands? Male vocalist, rock/pop style, possibly with an electro twist, is my favourite style, but I'll listen to anything really .

I think most of Czech bands have serious problem with lyrics. I mean, finding a decent lyricist is really not easy. There are some, though. Your definition fits in nicely with Tata bojs, although their music can get quite progressive (and they're generally not relying on radio-friendly choruses), but it's extremely intelligent and worth listening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Irpns6gk_Y4

And one of my very favourite bands, Priessnitz. They lack the electro-part, their music is quite guitar-heavy and emerges from early gothic-rock style, so it's generally dark, melancholic and very melodic. The singer tends to be drunk on concerts, which is kinda cool :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TR_qr99S5ow&feature=fvst
poetry level: czech, english
pub level: polish, french
shopping level: finnish, arabic
wannabe level: kalaallisut & such

perskychrt

Postby perskychrt » 2012-01-23, 10:42

Jinak je zajímavé tě tu vidět, až doteď jsem nevěřil, že existují Finové studující češtinu (jinde než v učebnici finštiny) .)

--

It's interesting to see you here, because I've never believed that there are Finns studying Czech (except for the Finnish textbook) .)

--

Se on intresanttia nähdä teidän täällä, koska en koskaan uskoin että siellä oli suomalaiset opiskelut tšekin kieltä (paitsi suomen oppikirjaa)

(there is probably a LOT of mistakes there..)
poetry level: czech, english
pub level: polish, french
shopping level: finnish, arabic
wannabe level: kalaallisut & such

Aurelia

Postby Aurelia » 2012-01-23, 11:20

Was the missing "to" my only mistake? :shock: I can't believe that!

And thanks, I'll check out the music!

Czech is a compulsory subject for people studying Russian at the university, so that's why they are offering the courses. Most of them aren't that passionate about Czech... I, however, am there because I genuinely love the language and my friends in Prague, and I'm considering going there at least for a while after I graduate in May.

Se on intresanttia nähdä teidän täällä, koska en koskaan uskoin että siellä oli suomalaiset opiskelut tšekin kieltä (paitsi suomen oppikirjaa)

On mielenkiintoista nähdä sinut (or Teidät, if you are being super polite) täällä, koska en koskaan olisi uskonut, että suomalaisetkin opiskelevat tšekin kieltä (paitsi suomen oppikirjasta) (or suomalaisesta oppikirjasta? not sure what you meant :)).

Well done, despite the mistakes I completely understood that! And that's what matters, communication. Have you been studying Finnish or why do you know how to say that? :D

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”