tamoto tohle tenhle ten to ?!

Trapy

tamoto tohle tenhle ten to ?!

Postby Trapy » 2008-02-14, 5:28

I've found another road-bump in my czech. I understand that the following mean "that", and that they're listed Masculine Feminine Neutral, and grouped into sets, but when would you use each set? So far, all I can figure out is, the shortest ones are used for "this infront of us", and the rest are used in comparison with "this here and that over there".

ten ______ ta ____ to
tenhle ___ tahle _ tohle
tamten ___ tamta _ tamto
tento ____ tato __ toto

They briefly used this with examples like "kdo je to" and"ta studentka je ve *trida a ten student tam *neni"

So, can anyone explain when you would use each row? After this, I get to move into the accusative cases.

* = missing certain characters for typing

imploder

Postby imploder » 2008-03-28, 23:57

ten ______ ta ____ to - the most common and universally used demonstratives like in English "that"

tento ____ tato __ toto - like English "this" (to point at entities near the speaker) - these rather formal

tenhle ___ tahle _ tohle - equivalents of the latter, more colloquial and used in spoken rather than written language

tamten ___ tamta _ tamto - to point at entities seen further in the distance, not as near as with the latter two demonstratives

"ten/ta/to" is used for both "this in front of us" as well as for things at other locations. Its meaning is generic and I think it doesn't imply any specific position. "tento/tato/toto/tenhle/tahle/tohle" indeed contrast with "tamten/tamta/tamto" in the distance or order of pointing (tento etc. first). "tamten/tamta/tamto" are not used in the place of English "that" very often, only when pointing at something relatively distant. They should be used for things further than those previously mentioned; it is wrong to use them to talk about something nearer. The most neutral and most often used word for English "that" are the short demonstratives "ten/ta/to".

imploder

Re: tamoto tohle tenhle ten to ?!

Postby imploder » 2008-03-29, 0:03

Trapy wrote:* = missing certain characters for typing

Select a Czech keyboard layout to write them (I recommend QWERTY). Then the numbers will have the values of letters with diacritics: ěščřžýáíé. The acute itself is left of Backspace - press it first and then the letter. With Shift it is a caron. U with ring (ů) is right of L.

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”