Beautiful

0stsee

Beautiful

Postby 0stsee » 2007-01-10, 2:02

Hello!

I'm not actually learning Czech (would like to, but don't see the use of it for me personally), but I just want to share my impression of the language:

I think Czech is the most pleasant-sounding among Slavic languages.
It struck me to hear from Poles that they can understand Czech, because the two languages sound totally different.

I guess what makes it so pleasant is the fact that it has clear, long vowels, which contrasts it to other Slavic languages, which almost seem as if they consisted of solely consonants.

That's all.

Take care!

Mark

Alcadras

Postby Alcadras » 2007-01-10, 13:15

I think, it has one of the best ortography.

UNI-Lukas

Postby UNI-Lukas » 2007-01-10, 16:17

hehe nice opinion... :D
Yeah, actually, the language is nice.

However, when somebody really understand the Czech, it's Slovaks, but I'm sure you know that.
As for Poles, it's not true. I can declare that I do understand Polish then also. But I don't. As well as the Poles don't understand everything out of the Czech language (they do not even get the main point).

When I was in England, there were a lot of Poles, and the other day when I was walking across the town, I heard them speaking. I was just about to approach to talk to them - believing they are Slovaks, but I turned around in the last second, when I recognized that the language that they speak is not Slovak, but Polish. If I were to look at some Polish newspaper, I could recognize a lot of words/verbs/tenses but I mostly wouldn't get the point. The same applies to them being able to understand Czech.

Mostly the elderly can understand, but I doubt normal people do.

Btw. I don't know if you ever heard Slovak language, but if you like "long vowels", you might like it too.

Plus when a Czech meets a Pole, they speak English to each other :wink: (but you know that I know..)
[flag]sk[/flag] [flag]cs[/flag] [flag]en[/flag] [flag]de[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]nl[/flag] [flag]fi[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

hreru

Postby hreru » 2007-01-10, 18:59

Aachie wrote: As for Poles, it's not true. I can declare that I do understand Polish then also. But I don't. As well as the Poles don't understand everything out of the Czech language (they do not even get the main point).

I'd say it depends on what you mean by "understand".
I wouldn't understand a bit of a conversation between Poles; but it's possible to make a Czech and a Pole understand each other without using a single English word, it demands some repeating, rewording and slow talk indeed, and there are many chances for a misunderstanding, but as for me, I'd confirm that Czechs can understand Poles.

0stsee

Postby 0stsee » 2007-01-19, 15:49

Aachie wrote:hehe nice opinion... :D
Yeah, actually, the language is nice.

However, when somebody really understand the Czech, it's Slovaks, but I'm sure you know that.
As for Poles, it's not true. I can declare that I do understand Polish then also. But I don't. As well as the Poles don't understand everything out of the Czech language (they do not even get the main point).

When I was in England, there were a lot of Poles, and the other day when I was walking across the town, I heard them speaking. I was just about to approach to talk to them - believing they are Slovaks, but I turned around in the last second, when I recognized that the language that they speak is not Slovak, but Polish. If I were to look at some Polish newspaper, I could recognize a lot of words/verbs/tenses but I mostly wouldn't get the point. The same applies to them being able to understand Czech.

Mostly the elderly can understand, but I doubt normal people do.

Btw. I don't know if you ever heard Slovak language, but if you like "long vowels", you might like it too.

Plus when a Czech meets a Pole, they speak English to each other :wink: (but you know that I know..)

I don't think I've ever heard Slovak before.
From what I've read Czech and Slovak are so similar. Probably it's comparable to Indonesian and Malaysian.

I watched "Save The Last Dance" on DVD two weeks ago, and I listened to the Czech dubbing.

It contrasts so much to the other Slavic languages, it amazes me.

Everytime I hear someone says that Slavic languages sound so hard and use only consonants, I bet s/he hasn't heard Czech, or Slovak, for that matter.

Mark

Return to “Czech (Čeština)”