anatomical words needed

Moderator:voron

wolverine
anatomical words needed

Postby wolverine » 2019-12-17, 21:34

What do you call your core, as in your back and abdominal muscles? Also what is the most appropriate word in Russian meaning to tighten or contract something? I need these words for talking about opera and singing sometimes...
'You're so cold, but you feel alive
Lay your hands on me, one last time'
- Breaking Benjamin

Fruchtenstein

Re: anatomical words needed

Postby Fruchtenstein » 2019-12-18, 12:20

Ah, that's one of my pet peeves! So called 'new runners' (that is, those who picked up running in the last 3-5 years, during the new running boom) tend to use the English load word 'кор' ('мыщцы кора'). These youngsters are too lazy to use good old Russian 'туловище' or even gooder and older Latin 'корпус'!
Anyway, when talking about opera you might want to use also 'дыхательные мыщцы' (respiratory muscles).
To contract your muscles will be 'напрягать мыщцы', 'мыщцы напрягаются' or 'мыщцы сокращаются'. 'Сокращать мышцы' looks a bit wrong.
Native: Russian Fluent: Am.English Learning: French, Latin
Book reviews in Russian
Fruchtenstein on Strava

wolverine

Postby wolverine » 2019-12-18, 18:27

Fruchtenstein wrote:Ah, that's one of my pet peeves! So called 'new runners' (that is, those who picked up running in the last 3-5 years, during the new running boom) tend to use the English load word 'кор' ('мыщцы кора'). These youngsters are too lazy to use good old Russian 'туловище' or even gooder and older Latin 'корпус'!
Anyway, when talking about opera you might want to use also 'дыхательные мыщцы' (respiratory muscles).
To contract your muscles will be 'напрягать мыщцы', 'мыщцы напрягаются' or 'мыщцы сокращаются'. 'Сокращать мышцы' looks a bit wrong.

Thanks!
- Breaking Benjamin

Fruchtenstein

Postby Fruchtenstein » 2019-12-18, 19:03

Fruchtenstein wrote: English load word

Oops... Loan word, of course
Book reviews in Russian
Fruchtenstein on Strava

wolverine

Postby wolverine » 2019-12-18, 22:55

Fruchtenstein wrote:
Fruchtenstein wrote: English load word

Oops... Loan word, of course

I feel the same way you do about loan words. I'd rather hear real Russian than loan words.

So basically I should use "туловище"? Like for sentences such as 'that note is too high for him, you can see him contract his core very tightly' that kind of usage?
- Breaking Benjamin

Fruchtenstein

Postby Fruchtenstein » 2019-12-19, 8:47

wolverine wrote:

So basically I should use "туловище"? Like for sentences such as 'that note is too high for him, you can see him contract his core very tightly' that kind of usage?

"Эта нота слишком высока для него, видно, как сильно он напрягает туловище (корпус)". To emphasize, one can say "напрягает все туловище" or "весь корпус".

Or "видно, как сильно он напрягает мыщцы туловища (корпуса)".

Just like in English, the Latin term sounds slightly more 'scientific'. But only if it really refers to the whole core, including abdomen, chest and back. Otherwise you can use more specific expressions, like "мыщцы живота" for abdominal muscles.

I feel the same way you do about loan words. I'd rather hear real Russian than loan words.

It's worse than loan word, it doesn't even exist in Russian. It's just that some people are too lazy to search for a word when they translate from foreign sources and then this non-word becomes sort of fashionable among aficionados :)
Book reviews in Russian
Fruchtenstein on Strava

wolverine

Postby wolverine » 2019-12-19, 13:42

Fruchtenstein wrote:
wolverine wrote:

"Эта нота слишком высока для него, видно, как сильно он напрягает туловище (корпус)". To emphasize, one can say "напрягает все туловище" or "весь корпус".

Or "видно, как сильно он напрягает мыщцы туловища (корпуса)".

Just like in English, the Latin term sounds slightly more 'scientific'. But only if it really refers to the whole core, including abdomen, chest and back. Otherwise you can use more specific expressions, like "мыщцы живота" for abdominal muscles.

It's worse than loan word, it doesn't even exist in Russian. It's just that some people are too lazy to search for a word when they translate from foreign sources and then this non-word becomes sort of fashionable among aficionados :)

Thanks, sorry to be demanding, I'm not that confident and worry about using language wrong :)
- Breaking Benjamin

Return to “Russian (Русский)”