Russian in Mongolia

Moderator: voron

Anthony

Russian in Mongolia

Postby Anthony » 2005-03-20, 17:57

Hello.

I have yet another question about Russian. I read a (like most resources) very vague account that Russian is commonly spoken as a second language in Mongolia. Could anybody expand upon this statement please. Thank you so much.

Anthony
Anthony Rinna

Geist

Postby Geist » 2005-03-20, 18:56

I remember reading that during the existence of the USSR, Mongolian had to be written in Cyrillic - that might mean that the people there are at least somewhat familiar with the script, and perhaps the Russian language, too.
Das ganze Meer verändert sich, wenn ein Stein hineingeworfen wird.
- Blaise Pascal

English, Deutsch, Español

Learning: Polski, Русский

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-03-20, 19:32

Well, Mongolian is indeed written in two scripts, the Mongolian script and the everyday Cyrillic script (with couple extra letters to represent Mongolian sounds not found in the Cyrillic). Mongolian is a very different language from Russian though.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Raza

Postby Raza » 2005-03-21, 4:14

My history of the USSR in central Asia isn't all that good. But if the Sovient Union annexed and controlled Mongolia for a number of decades as they did in the 'stans', then I'm sure educated modern Mongolians would have some knowledge of it. For example, that is usually the case in Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan etc. where Russian is still used alongside their respective native languages.

schalke81

Postby schalke81 » 2005-03-21, 5:44

i had two mongolian friends when i lived in the UK, and they, who are both late 20`s spoke Russian fluently.
However, from what i remember, they told me English the number one studied language there now, and many younf peope dont touch Russian at all.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2005-03-21, 9:24

I remember the reportage(about 2 years ago) on TV about Russian pop stars giving concerts in Mongolia, that was strange, people knew lyrics of songs, so they have some knowledge of Russian.

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2005-03-21, 16:03

schalke81 wrote:i had two mongolian friends when i lived in the UK, and they, who are both late 20`s spoke Russian fluently.
However, from what i remember, they told me English the number one studied language there now, and many younf peope dont touch Russian at all.

Yes, true. I used to know a 12 years old boy from there, and he spoke a very fluent English when in fact he rarely leaves Mongolia. Impressive...
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “Russian (Русский)”