Verb to explore caves

Moderator:voron

paul_a_j
Verb to explore caves

Postby paul_a_j » 2017-10-17, 19:50

My dictionary has the word спелеолог for someone who goes in caves. Is there a verb for the action, something like the English "caver/caving" "climber/climbing"?
Cheers Paul

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Verb to explore caves

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-01-27, 21:30

Not as far as I can tell so far

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-16, 8:36

paul_a_j wrote:My dictionary has the word спелеолог for someone who goes in caves. Is there a verb for the action, something like the English "caver/caving" "climber/climbing"?
Cheers Paul

In case there isn't any particular direct equivalent to that English verb in Russian, could there be a Work-Around Alternative?

While not knowing too much about Russian yet, what I do know is that words can be combined with each other for expressing many, many different things. This is _at least_ remotely comparable to the German idea of concattinating two or more nouns.

I don't know if it (i.e. combining two or more words just like building blocks) is used for _both_ of Russian nouns and verbs.

If it is done to verbs, too :), then I think it would be especially easy.
And if it is being done to nouns only, then one could "make up" :) a noun describing the activity, and then talking about it using a "helper" verb like "do" or "make".
this is a reboot

alphawell

Postby alphawell » 2019-01-27, 16:26

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:
I don't know if it (i.e. combining two or more words just like building blocks) is used for _both_ of Russian nouns and verbs.

If it is done to verbs, too :), then I think it would be especially easy.
And if it is being done to nouns only, then one could "make up" :) a noun describing the activity, and then talking about it using a "helper" verb like "do" or "make".

This is definitely precise assumption, this type of word formation is also adopted in Russian. And yes, it's applicable for both nouns and verbs.
For example, I guess that one of the word of your interest, скалолаз, (literally, "rock climber"), is derived from the noun скала and verb лазать (the rock and to climb respectively).
However, I'm not aware of any equivalents for the caver/caving, other that спелеолог. Actually, I haven't ever heard about these words [caver/caving], so thanks for the insight. And by the way, definition of the word спелеолог implies some person who not just goes into a cave, but rather a scientific-class profession. As far as I know, the branch of tourism, dedicated to the cave exploration, called спелеотуризм, and respectively, it's driven by the people who called спелеотурист. I hope that clarifies the subject a bit.
Grau, teurer Freund, ist alle Theorie
und grün des Lebens goldner Baum.

Return to “Russian (Русский)”