Why are you learning Russian?

Moderator:voron

What is the main reason that made you learn russian?

I'm of Russian Origin
7%
I am in relationship with a Russian speaker
1%
For my Russian friends
5%
For travelling
13%
I want to marry Mother Russia(in other words, I love the culture)
19%
As a lingгa-frаnca in slavic/former USSR countries
18%
I'm learning languages for fun, and cyrillic is cool
26%
Other(please explain)
11%

Total votes: 97

Prowler
Re: Why are you learning Russian?

Postby Prowler » 2017-10-02, 21:28

vijayjohn wrote:
Prowler wrote:I'm not learning it yet, but I'm interested in Russian because since I already speak a Romance language and am in the process to achieve fluency at a 2nd Germanic language, I might as well learn a Slavic one.

What about a second Romance language?

Dont really want to...

Katya O.

Postby Katya O. » 2018-03-08, 8:48

I'm Russian and I'm learning Russian because it's difficult. I don't know my mother tongue perfectly. There are many controversial questions.

repl2

Postby repl2 » 2018-08-08, 8:00

Nukalurk wrote:It’s surely still useful in other countries like Kazakhstan.

Many former SU countries are rushing to join the NATO, and their new master promotes the usage of English, of course.

Are you forced to learn English by Masters?

repl2

Postby repl2 » 2018-08-13, 17:24

Nukalurk wrote:It’s surely still useful in other countries like Kazakhstan.

Many former SU countries are rushing to join the NATO, and their new master promotes the usage of English, of course.

It is a very funny statement because almost everybody learnt English in the soviet "union" at least since AD 1980s; at least 5 years at school (maximum: 10 years); "high" education means from 5 to 6 years of learning English too. For sovien "PhDs" English was a must! (At AD 1980s it became a typical to have "high" education so the soviet "high" education is not the same that normal high education). So in the soviet "union" it was a typical to learn English* 10 years in average. (Be shure: "Nukalurk" knows all that stuff -- it is "normal" for soviets to call black "white" and vice versa!)

BUT

To know English really is not OK for soviets. To "know" English to be a spy is OK, because führer's command is mandatory for soviets; they call it "to have the tsar in the head"!!

---
*Also there were French and German. Before WWII there were only French and German. We even have a Chinese school at Kyiv!!!

Return to “Russian (Русский)”