Halfway-Portugal, halfway-Brazilian pronunciation?

Moderator:Luís

Woods
Halfway-Portugal, halfway-Brazilian pronunciation?

Postby Woods » 2022-05-18, 10:06

I've looked a little bit into Portuguese pronunciation and I'd say I like some features of the Portugal version better (the fading e's at the end of the word (saúde - /sa'ud/), the non-cheerful pronunciation of the t's and d's (again /sa'ud/ and not /sa'udʒi/) etc. ; while at the same time, for some other features I prefer the Brazilian version (s's at the end of the word being pronounced /s/ and not /ʃ/, l's at the end of the word being pronounced as w's).

To what extent would it be okay not to select one of the two standard pronunciations and just pick the features I like from both and make my own version? If I put the two pronunciations next to each other, I couldn't say there's one particular version I like better, since the amount of things that I prefer in each is about equal; but one could probably say that each has its own set of "cheerful" sounds that make it sound like Portuguese and it is precisely those that I would like to remove (postalveolar fricatives, more open vowels, velarised approximants), so I may end up with a somewhat darker/muted pronunciation that doesn't really sound like Portuguese?

And finally, if I still had to pick one of the two versions, I would probably go with the Portugal one due to geographic proximity, since there's more of a chance I ever go there to practise. So I'd be more curious if there are places in Portugal in which speakers have these features of Brazilian Portuguese. This is not much of a reason though, so it would also be fine if there are places in Brazil where people have the features of Portugal Portuguese that I prefer.

And one final thing I almost forgot - I really like much better how the French-like r's sound in Portuguese compared to the Italian-like ones. However, it seems that in both versions those are pretty rare - only at the beginning of the word or when r's are double. How common is it for speakers to just do away with the Italian-style r and use the French-like one everywhere?

Osias

Re: Halfway-Portugal, halfway-Brazilian pronunciation?

Postby Osias » 2022-05-19, 1:41

I don't know anyone that tried to pick and choose features of Portuguese varieties like that. If I got what you mean. I think being understood in any of them is already hard enough. My advice to anyone learning is to stick to a standard, any standard. The two languages/varieties are too dissimilar, you risk not being understood in both.

I have a hard time understanding the terminology on our r's. When I think I've learned their names, I forget again. Is that French r the aspirated one?
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2022-05-19, 14:50

Osias wrote:I have a hard time understanding the terminology on our r's. When I think I've learned their names, I forget again. Is that French r the aspirated one?

French actually has several r's, but the most common version is [ʁ] alternating with [χ]. The latter is identical to the "aspirated" r found in most Brazilian varieties (though this can also occur as [x] and [h]); the former is the version found in most dialects of European Portuguese. The "Italian-style" r is a trill (IPA [r]) identical to Spanish erre.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2022-05-24, 11:14

There must be a dialect of Brazilian Portuguese that is close to the pronunciation you want. There are some that don't have palatalization of /s/ and /z/ at the end of syllables and don't have affrication of /t/ and /d/.

Because it doesn't have vowel reduction, on the whole I would think Brazilian dialects are easier to understand for Europeans than the other way around. If you ever went to Portugal I am sure they would understand you and just think you sound Brazilian.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2022-08-13, 19:50

Woods wrote:To what extent would it be okay not to select one of the two standard pronunciations and just pick the features I like from both and make my own version?

That would be a bit unusual, but sure, why not?

"Woods wrote:So I'd be more curious if there are places in Portugal in which speakers have these features of Brazilian Portuguese.

Not those two particular features, no.

Woods wrote:I really like much better how the French-like r's sound in Portuguese compared to the Italian-like ones. However, it seems that in both versions those are pretty rare - only at the beginning of the word or when r's are double. How common is it for speakers to just do away with the Italian-style r and use the French-like one everywhere?

In (standard) European Portuguese there's [ʁ] (the French-r) and [ɾ] (not exactly the same as the Italian r, but I guess that's what you meant). It would be impossible for speakers to do away with the latter, though, because they're actually different phonemes, not just allophones
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”