Brazilian Portuguese Language Course

Moderator: Luís

FNORD

Postby FNORD » 2006-07-02, 17:19

Dminor wrote:Am I just being an idiot, or does Timon say "Hatuna matata"? :para:
Something like that. Does he say something else on the original?

Dminor
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dminor » 2006-07-02, 17:22

Yes, Hakuna matata. :P
काव्यशास्त्रविनोदेन कालो गच्छति धीमताम् । व्यसनेन च मूर्खाणां निद्रया कलहेन वा

chicoac

Postby chicoac » 2006-12-20, 15:53

This is very interesting...
But let me ask you something: why are you more interested in "Brazilian Portuguese" than the Portuguese one?

0stsee

Makan

Postby 0stsee » 2007-01-02, 15:55

Kirk wrote:je mange [mɑ̃ʒ]
tu manges [mɑ̃ʒ]
il mange [mɑ̃ʒ]

nous mangeons [mɑ̃ʒɔ̃]
vous mangez [mɑ̃ʒe]
ils mangent [mɑ̃ʒ]

Even the French mostly say on mange instead of nous mangeons.

amanditas2v

Postby amanditas2v » 2007-01-31, 15:10

Dminor wrote:Yes, Hakuna matata. :P

Yes, the portuguese version of the song is different from the rest of the world! it is because kids could use the song as an excuse to say a bad word. KU has the same pronunciation as a bad word in portuguese so the translators decided to change it to haTUna Matata. TU is not a bad word in portuguese so it's all good :wink:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2007-01-31, 15:21

Really? :shock:

That sounds ridiculous to me, as the combination /ku/ appears inside many other Portuguese words as well...

The European Portuguese version has kept the original Swahili Hakuna Matata, as far as I know.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

edumelo

Postby edumelo » 2007-01-31, 16:09

I always thought it was Hakuna Matata here too... :?

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-01-31, 16:34

edumelo wrote:I always thought it was Hakuna Matata here too... :?

I’ve always sung Hakuna Matata in Portuguese as well. :?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

amanditas2v

Postby amanditas2v » 2007-02-02, 1:44

i'm finishing my post graduation in translation methodology of the english language and disney movies were a subject of a class. it was a decision made by disney, maybe people didn't notice and maybe it is only in Brazil since i'm pretty sure that KU is a bad word in brazilian portuguese and angry parents would definitely sue disney if they hear their children saying KU all the time. so here is a link to a translation of the song posted on a website: http://disney.letras.terra.com.br/letras/68572/

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-02-02, 2:02

I wouldn’t trust that specific website for lyrics, since the lyrics are usually written down and sent by ordinary internet users. And the official Brazilian title of e.g. The Lion King III: Hakuna Matata is indeed O Rei Leão III: Hakuna Matata, as can be confirmed at the Brazilian Disney website (http://www.disney.com.br/VideoDVD/index_flash.html?interna=oreileao3.swf).

And I can’t imagine parents sueing people because of words with cu, since that’d mean sueing not only dictionary makers as well, but also most native speakers who used words such as cueca, escutar, bocuda, etc., or even words such as computador. :?
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

amanditas2v

Postby amanditas2v » 2007-02-02, 2:07

maybe they changed their mind since nobody will watch this movie, anyway (i'm being sarcastic, there is no need to be rude)

kibo

Postby kibo » 2007-02-02, 2:11

And have they edited the other subliminal message in the Brazilian version too? :P
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2007-02-02, 14:53

Psi-Lord wrote:I wouldn’t trust that specific website for lyrics, since the lyrics are usually written down and sent by ordinary internet users. And the official Brazilian title of e.g. The Lion King III: Hakuna Matata is indeed O Rei Leão III: Hakuna Matata, as can be confirmed at the Brazilian Disney website (http://www.disney.com.br/VideoDVD/index ... ileao3.swf).

Well, as silly as it might seem, I don't think there are any doubts they're actually saying "Hatuna" and not "Hakuna", at least in the version I heard.

Bem, por mais idiota que possa parecer, não acho que haja dúvidas de que eles estão realmente a dizer "Hatuna" e não "Hakuna", pelo menos na versão que eu ouvi.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-02-02, 15:50

I. Am. In. Shock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yPjv3GP5kI

And of course, Disney’s dropped like a hundred levels in my personal concepts right now. :P

culúrien

Postby culúrien » 2007-02-02, 15:53

Psi-Lord wrote:I. Am. In. Shock.

And of course, Disney’s dropped like a hundred levels in my personal concepts right now. :P

I am :shock: too :shock:
استیسی

kibo

Postby kibo » 2007-02-02, 18:10

Psi-Lord wrote:I. Am. In. Shock.

Yeah, I hear "t" in all occasions except in the beginning, the warthog says something that could be either k or t.

The European version apparently leaves the "h" out. :lol:

Of course this still doesn't show what the the motive for the change was nor if the change was on purpose. It's possible that they sang "hatuna" by mistake and later they realized the mistake when it was too late to edit it. The "ku sounds like a bad word" is extremely irrational to be the motive for the change, but it doesn't sound like a bad cover-up story. (This is a pure speculation, of course)

[spoiler]Moral of the story: subtitle your songs instead of of dubbing them. :P[/spoiler]

Psi-Lord wrote:And of course, Disney’s dropped like a hundred levels in my personal concepts right now. :P

Disney or Disney Brazil? ;)
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2007-02-02, 19:03

Bolek wrote:The European version apparently leaves the "h" out. :lol:

Well, /h/ is not a part of Portuguese phonology.

Bolek wrote:Of course this still doesn't show what the the motive for the change was nor if the change was on purpose

Maybe there's a town called "Matata" in Brazil and they didn't want to sing "há cu na Matata" ;)

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2007-02-02, 19:14

Bolek wrote:
Psi-Lord wrote:And of course, Disney’s dropped like a hundred levels in my personal concepts right now. :P

Disney or Disney Brazil? ;)

Disney. As far as I know, our branch are far from that independent when it comes to the translations, the dubbings, and the version of the lyrics, always having someone from the US approve or veto everything.

Luís wrote:
Bolek wrote:The European version apparently leaves the "h" out. :lol:

Well, /h/ is not a part of Portuguese phonology.

Which is why I usually replace [x] for it, hehe.

Luís wrote:Maybe there's a town called "Matata" in Brazil and they didn't want to sing "há cu na Matata" ;)

Too bad Microsoft hasn’t thought of releasing their products as meant for ordenadores, since people ‘obviously’ confuse computador with com (uma) puta dor. ;)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2007-02-02, 19:30

Psi-Lord wrote:Which is why I usually replace [x] for it, hehe.

The usual here is simply not to pronounce it. Words like "hamster" or "hobby" are pronounced as "amster","óbi" and things like "happy hour" and "hip hop" become /"Epi "aw64/ and /i"pOp/ :lol:

Psi-Lord wrote:Too bad Microsoft hasn’t thought of releasing their products as meant for ordenadores, since people ‘obviously’ confuse computador with com (uma) puta dor. :wink:

What about compilador? ;) (pila = pinto, pau)

Eu compilo, tu compilas, ele compila...

Eu computo, tu computas, ele computa...

Já para não falar do putativo deputado reputado ;)

HaggenKennedy

Postby HaggenKennedy » 2007-02-03, 0:16

Luís wrote:The usual here is simply not to pronounce it. Words like "hamster" or "hobby" are pronounced as "amster","óbi" and things like "happy hour" and "hip hop" become /"Epi "aw64/ and /i"pOp/ :lol:

:!:
I didn't even know that. It's just like Spanish (from Spain) and French (from France). :roll:

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”