Portuguese colonialism

Moderator: Luís

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Portuguese colonialism

Postby Luís » 2015-10-28, 8:09

The Portuguese who live there :P

It's not a big community, but there are even a few daily newspapers such as Hoje Macau or Tribuna de Macau, a TV channel and a school.

In addition there are also a few Macanese who speak Portuguese as their second language. For instance, I knew a guy at university who was Chinese but was studying here and spoke fluent Portuguese (he attended the Portuguese school in Macau). After finishing college in Lisbon he went back to Macau.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-28, 15:15

And lawyers and people working in the government.

IMHO, I think the main reason they kept Portuguese as an official language is because they had all the Portuguese laws...
So law students go to study in Portugal.

And if one is fluent in Cantonese and in Portuguese and in law, the government will hire them for life. They lack bilingual people.

OldBoring
Language Forum Moderator

Postby OldBoring » 2015-10-31, 7:04

Patuá macaense is a creole spoken by Macaense people, i.e. people of mixed Portuguese and Chinese descent born in Macau. It's also called Dóci papiaçám ("sweer language"), from papiar, "to speak".
It's a language based on Portuguese, with simplified grammar and heavy influence from Cantonese, but also loanwords from Malay, Tamil, Bengali, etc. and other Asian languages.
Unfortunately it's an almost dying language, as everyone speaks Cantonese, in fact all patuá speakers are also bilingual in Cantonese.
For this reason there's an association called "Dóci papiaçám di Macau" with the aim to promote this language, and they often make videos, theatre plays, and promote events in Patuá macaense.

Macau sâm assi a song that talks about the old Macau, it's based on the song Lisboa é assim
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmPYVbKWF70

Fumâ sem multa: a humorous video about how to smoke in Macau without getting a fine, with the new anti-smoking law.
Unfortunately I can't search for a YouTube link at the moment.

Obliqueshock

Postby Obliqueshock » 2015-12-28, 19:16

What about loanwords FROM malayalam in portuguese? Can't seem to find any specific info online. For e.g. I know Manga for Mango has malayalam/Tamil origin.
Thanks.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-13, 21:12

Oh yeah, I think there are a bunch of those, too, although unfortunately, the only ones I know of so far are the ones that came into English via Portuguese. :hmm: I wonder whether I can find more information on those...

I know for example that jaca > jackfruit comes from Malayalam ചക്ക [t͡ʃəˈka]. Apparently catre 'cot' also comes from Malayalam കട്ടിൽ [kəˈʈɪl] 'bed, cot' (in Kerala, traditionally, most people slept on cots anyway). Maybe I'll post some more if/when I find any. :)

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”