Português [Brasileiro] / Portuguese [Brazilian]

Moderator:Luís

E}{pugnator

Postby E}{pugnator » 2003-12-02, 15:25

E aí, Alexandre, beleza?

Hmm, I guess there's no one else here from Brasilia...I even get mad that it's only me from Belo Horizonte, and i'm not from Belo Horizonte myself, I'm from Bahia, I've been living here for 1 year now, I study at UFMG...

Brasília...e pensar que eu quase entrei na UnB...fiz duas etapas do PAS, mas na terceira acabei preferindo fazer a prova da UFMG mesmo...
Learning Georgian, Mandarin Chinese, Russian and Papiamentu from scratch. Trying to brush up my Norwegian up to an advanced level.

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-12-02, 15:59

Fala, Alexandre, tudo na boa? Seja bem-vindo!

Bem, acho que agora só falta arranjarmos alguém do Norte pra completarmos as cinco regiões do país. ;)
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

pa-integral

Postby pa-integral » 2003-12-02, 16:44

O que quer dizer 'na boa'? Sempre oiço a gente dizê-lo mas nunca percebo o que quer dizer....

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-02, 16:46

It means "fine"/ "ok" or "no problem"/"no trouble" or "easily". Depends on context.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-02, 17:46

pa-integral wrote:O que quer dizer 'na boa'? Sempre oiço a gente dizê-lo mas nunca percebo o que quer dizer....

Luís wrote:It means "fine"/ "ok" or "no problem"/"no trouble" or "easily". Depends on context.

It is quite slanguish. And of that kind which I'd recommend you not to use, unless you are 100% sure that you are correct. Which is in this case difficult, because this has lots of meanings and subtleties not so easily perceived.
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

pa-integral

Postby pa-integral » 2003-12-02, 20:10

ekalin wrote:It is quite slanguish. And of that kind which I'd recommend you not to use, unless you are 100% sure that you are correct. Which is in this case difficult, because this has lots of meanings and subtleties not so easily perceived.

Mmm... Is this the same for European Portuguese?

Can you put some examples of how do you use it in Brazil?

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-02, 20:15

pa-integral wrote:Mmm... Is this the same for European Portuguese?

Probably not 100%, but what Luís described is valid, at least for that case.

pa-integral wrote:Can you put some examples of how do you use it in Brazil?

No! :evil: It is in my list of "slang expression that I hate and refuse to use". :twisted: :evil:
This gubblick contains many nosklarkish English flutzpahs, but the overall pluggandisp can be glorked from context. – David Moser

pa-integral

Postby pa-integral » 2003-12-02, 20:52

ekalin wrote:No! :evil: It is in my list of "slang expression that I hate and refuse to use". :twisted: :evil:

Lol... is it so bad that I can't learn it? lol............

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-02, 21:35

Actually, it's not like I hate it, but I never use it either...
But there's nothing particulary wrong about it.
However, you might want to take ekalin's advice and refrain from using too much slang in your speech... at least until you have the perfect notion of where you can and cannot use such things.

pa-integral

Postby pa-integral » 2003-12-02, 22:02

Luís wrote:Actually, it's not like I hate it, but I never use it either...
But there's nothing particulary wrong about it.
However, you might want to take ekalin's advice and refrain from using too much slang in your speech... at least until you have the perfect notion of where you can and cannot use such things.

Ok... como a gaja do metro :shock:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-02, 22:15

pa-integral wrote:Ok... como a gaja do metro :shock:

Exactly because of that ;)

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-03, 10:27

pa-integral wrote:Lol... is it so bad that I can't learn it? lol............

No, it would not be classified as one of the "dirty" or "bad" ones. But I won't help something I don't like to spread, of course. :twisted:

Luís suggestion that you avoid slang for now is quite good. Don't worry about that now. Later I can teach you some nice ones, especially those that have different meaning in Brazil and Portugal and thus provide endless fun. :twisted:

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-03, 10:31

Luís wrote:
pa-integral wrote:Ok... como a gaja do metro :shock:

Exactly because of that ;)

Private jokes????

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-03, 22:10

I wouldn't call it a joke.
Just an example of misused slang.
One day as he was talking to me, he said something about "a gaja do metro", referring to the woman on the subway that you need to address when you want to buy a city card for the transports. And this felt very weird to my ears, too rude even. Yet, he was just generalising the use of the slang word "gajo" = guy, dude without realising that in the feminine the conotation is a bit more like "whore" :roll: and even if it weren't, it still would not very appropriate.

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-03, 23:13

Luís wrote:Just an example of misused slang.
One day as he was talking to me, he said something about "a gaja do metro", referring to the woman on the subway that you need to address when you want to buy a city card for the transports. And this felt very weird to my ears, too rude even. Yet, he was just generalising the use of the slang word "gajo" = guy, dude without realising that in the feminine the conotation is a bit more like "whore" :roll: and even if it weren't, it still would not very appropriate.

This is the kind of mistake I could have done... I think that (at least in Portugal) "gajo" is so common that I wouldn't even say it's slang. And I never noticed that it should not be used in the feminine, so I might as well have used that sometime...

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-03, 23:25

ekalin wrote:I think that (at least in Portugal) "gajo" is so common that I wouldn't even say it's slang.

:shock: Of course it's slang...
This is not proper language and I think it's far less used than the Brazilian equivalent "cara". You simply don't use it on TV or at school or even at home (at least me), so I'd still consider it pretty much slang.

ekalin wrote:And I never noticed that it should not be used in the feminine, so I might as well have used that sometime...

Well, it can be used in the feminine too. But that's when the native's instinct comes in ;) - You need to know when or it'll end up meaning something else. In this particular case, it wouldn't be quite appropriate. Using that to refer to an older woman, for instance would also be considered quite rude. Actually, as you might know, the same sentence can have different subtleties depending on how you say it, when you say it or to whom you say it. The most common mistake between foreigners when they learn some slang is to use is all the time... :roll:

Btw, when and where were you in Portugal?

ekalin

Postby ekalin » 2003-12-03, 23:30

Luís wrote:Btw, when and where were you in Portugal?

Once in 2000, another time in 2001, both around july or august. And to many cities there...

Psi-Lord

Postby Psi-Lord » 2003-12-04, 17:17

Luís wrote:
ekalin wrote:I think that (at least in Portugal) "gajo" is so common that I wouldn't even say it's slang.

:shock: Of course it's slang...
This is not proper language and I think it's far less used than the Brazilian equivalent "cara". You simply don't use it on TV or at school or even at home (at least me), so I'd still consider it pretty much slang.

Oh, I'd never have guessed. :shock:

Luís wrote:However, you might want to take ekalin's advice and refrain from using too much slang in your speech... at least until you have the perfect notion of where you can and cannot use such things.

Which reminds me the amount of things I just can't understand at all when pa-integral and sklodowska are having a chat. :P
português do Brasil (pt-BR)British English (en-GB) galego (gl) português (pt) •• العربية (ar) български (bg) Cymraeg (cy) Deutsch (de)  r n km.t (egy) español rioplatense (es-AR) 日本語 (ja) 한국어 (ko) lingua Latina (la) ••• Esperanto (eo) (grc) français (fr) (hi) magyar (hu) italiano (it) polski (pl) Türkçe (tr) 普通話 (zh-CN)

pa-integral

Postby pa-integral » 2003-12-04, 20:11

Psi-Lord wrote:Which reminds me the amount of things I just can't understand at all when pa-integral and sklodowska are having a chat. :P

Things like what? :D

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2003-12-04, 20:49

Psi-Lord wrote:Oh, I'd never have guessed.

No, Psi-Lord, I regret to disappoint you but we don't go around greeting people as "Ora vivas, ó gajo", which seems to be one of your favourite sentences ;)

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”