Native Brazilian Portuguese language seek for english native

Moderator: Luís

moiseschaves

Native Brazilian Portuguese language seek for english native

Postby moiseschaves » 2013-01-26, 22:46

Native Brazilian Portuguese language seek for english natives to talk and improve english skills.

Hello,

My name is Moisés (Moses in English).

It is a pleasure to share a little of my culture with foreigners and know that I can also acquire knowledge through this cultural exchange. I'm a Brazilian who lives in the south of Brazil. I'm a talkative person who likes to share experiences, knowledge, plans, and likes. I like to do many things such as play soccer, watch TV, read a good book, sing, dance, listen to music, read a comic books, facebook, and have a good conversation with interesting people. I want improve my English and help people who are learning Portuguese.

Let`s talk.

If you prefer, please feel free and add me on Skype: moises.martins.chaves

Tks in advanced.

Moisés.

Kaylee

Re: Native Brazilian Portuguese language seek for english native

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-17, 22:10

Hiya Moisés!

I would like to help you, but I do not have Skype, so could we talk here in this thread? And you are looking for corrections and the like, right?

In case you are looking for that kind of help; we could talk of comic books, or books and music!
Native American inspired Conlang!
Kaylee - NAILC - Lakȟotiyapi
Learning:lkt (lkt) Next: ru (ru) af (af) bo (bo) ar (ar) cy (cy)/gd (gd)

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2013-02-18, 10:13

[flag]en[/flag]Hello Kayle.

It's funny but the only time I've used "hiya" (which wasn't at UniLang), I've been told that it was "wrong". Do you have any idea on why that happened?

By the way, what kind of comic books do you like?

[flag]pt-br[/flag]Olá Kayle.

É engraçado, mas a única vez que eu usei "hiya" (e não foi aqui no UniLang), me corrigiram dizendo que estava "errado". Você sabe o por quê?

Aliás, quais tipos de comics você curte?
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-18, 21:01

Hello BlackZ.

Why did it happened? I have only one idea as to why. It is that "hello" is a formal way to greet people, while "hiya" is a more laid back option—friendlier sounding if you will. It is an informal greeting like "hi", "yo", "hey", "howdy", and "wassup" are, and is most likely why you were told it is "wrong".

For example, when answering a telephone, most people don't say "hiya!" or "yo!", they say "hello". Unless it is a friend calling, then I have heard people say the opposite.

I used "hiya" because southerners tend to use "hiya/hey" and "howdy" a lot when trying to be friendly, and "hello" in other situations that call for a "hello" (formal situations). Although "hiya" and "hi" are informal greetings, they do not have any negative connotation so I wouldn't say they are "wrong", persay.

You certainly shouldn't go to a job interview and say "howdy!" or "hiya!", but "Hello" and even follow it with your name if you do not know them, like "Hello, my name is Marcus River*."
*your name

I mostly read DC because it has a larger roster of characters that are enjoyable to me, but I also read Marvel and Star Wars comics. What about you?

Thanks to hashi, ronin319, razlem, johntm, Lenguas, jake12,Milya0 and YngNghymru for literally teaching me from nothing, to something big! Thank you guys so much!

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2013-02-19, 10:11

[flag]en[/flag] I really like Marvel, especially X-Men and the Spider-Man :)

But I enjoy japanese mangas a lot too.

[flag]pt-br[/flag] Eu gosto bastante da Marvel, especialmente os X-Men e o Homem-Aranha :)

Mas eu curto bastante os mangás japoneses também.
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-20, 4:51

Spider-man is great, of what I have of it of course. He was practically the first "comic" I was introduced to. Where I live you have to wrestle with yetis and fight dragons to find someplace selling comics, especially Marvel. :lol: Have you been reading the most recent Spider-man issues, or do you prefer the older ones or both?

Ah, what manga do you like?

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2013-02-21, 14:09

Long time I don't read any American comics. I have no idea on what's happening in the recent issues of Spider-Man or X-men :lol:

I used to read them in the 90s in a library. Yes, a library! It's because someone used to donate comics frequently to that library, so I had the opportunity to read them for free. Sadly, the donations stopped after a while and, as my mother refused to give me money to buy them, I was forced to stop reading comics...

Some years later, when I was 16, I begun reading mangas because some of my otaku friends bought many issues and I borrowed from them. The first manga I've read was One Piece (which I still read today). Though my favorite is, by far, Death Note. I simply loved it, because it's very unique among shonens.

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-21, 20:33

Wow! I just want to say you speak English very, very well! Actually, you speak English a lot better than the people I live around—and they are native speakers! :waytogo:

That being said, anything that I see that needs "correcting" will be in red with a correction in green. When you see an "*" that means I have notes on it at the bottom of the post.

BlackZ wrote:Long time I don't read any American comics*. I have no idea on what's happening in the recent issues of Spider-Man or X-men :lol:

I used to read them in the 90s in a library. Yes, a library! It's because someone used to donate comics frequently to that library, so I had the opportunity to read them for free. Sadly, the donations stopped after a while and, as my mother refused to give me money to buy them, I was forced to stop reading comics...

Some years later, when I was 16, I begun reading mangas because some of my otaku friends bought many issues and I borrowed from them. The first manga I've read was One Piece (which I still read today). Though my favorite is, by far, Death Note. I simply loved it, because it's very unique among shonens.

I understand. Before I recently started, it had been years before I could read any of the comics. :)

The same for me! Libraries used to be the only source I had. I used to visit a library that used to have older Superman comics there, but someone stole them. :( Now I have to travel very far to buy them (because there aren't any 'comic' stores here) when I want to get them quickly, otherwise I'm stuck ordering from online. However, when my friends are done reading their comics, they just give them to me because they know I have become a lunatic about comics now. :mrgreen:

Death Note? Is that the one anime/manga where the main guy controls a demon to kill people on certain days? :hmm:

*there are a few ways to word this, but this is what I would have said; "It has been a long time. I don't read American comics anymore." or "I haven't read American comics in a (really) long time."

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2013-02-22, 10:48

Kaylee wrote:Wow! I just want to say you speak English very, very well! Actually, you speak English a lot better than the people I live around—and they are native speakers! :waytogo:

Oh really? That improved a lot my self confidence. Your corrections are very helpful too, thank you :)

Kaylee wrote:Death Note? Is that the one anime/manga where the main guy controls a demon to kill people on certain days?

Almost that. Actually, the main guy (who's called Light Yagami) found a "death note", which has the power to kill people any time he wants. Of course, the note has its limitations - for instance, the note can't kill people whose the name is not known by the holder. The holder also must know how the person he wants to kill looks alike.

The "demon" you saw (actually a "Shinigami" or a "god of death" called Ryuk) is the actual owner of that note - which he threw in a random place in order to watch what humans would do if they had such a power. Why? Just for fun, because he was "bored" :lol: Other than that, he doesn't do anything else. Well, actually he does, but I won't talk because that would be spoiler.

I say that Death Note is different from most shonens because the main guy isn't really a hero. I'd say he's either an anti-hero or a villain. And it focus a lot in a psychological battle between Light and a detective whose codename is "L" - which means that the main atribute of both characters isn't physical strength, but intelligence and ingenuity.

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-02-22, 19:30

Really. :D It is hard to believe English is your second tongue because of it. The 'mistakes' you do make here and there commonly happen to the natives I hear around me, and see in their writing. Of course even natives make mistakes, like me, so... :lol:

And you are welcome. I am glad to be of assistance! (:

BlackZ wrote:Oh really? That improved a lot* my self confidence. Your corrections are very helpful too, thank you :)

Almost that. Actually, the main guy (who's called Light Yagami) found a "death note", which has the power to kill people any time he wants. Of course, the note has its limitations - for instance, the note can't kill people whose the name is not known by the holder. The holder also must know how the person he wants to kill looks alike.

The "demon" you saw (actually a "Shinigami" or a "god of death" called Ryuk) is the actual owner of that note - which he threw in a random place in order to watch what humans would do if they had such a power. Why? Just for fun, because he was "bored" :lol: Other than that, he doesn't do anything else. Well, actually he does, but I won't talk because that would be spoiler (1).

I say that Death Note is different from most shonens because the main guy isn't really a hero. I'd say he's either an anti-hero or a villain. And it focus (2) a lot in a psychological battle between Light and a detective whose codename is "L" - which means that the main atribute (3) of both characters isn't physical strength, but intelligence and ingenuity.

Ah, I think recall Light's name! Hmm, might be I read the manga or watched the anime a few times before... :hmm:

He must have a lot of people he really hates if he wants to keep the note, then. :lol: Does he kill innocent people? Because if he did, then he definitely isn't a "hero". And I agree, it is very different not just from most shonens, but from most manga. I mean there are a lot of demon/killing manga/animes out there, but not like this.

I am tempted to ask if Light is ever "defeated", but perhaps I should just look into it so it technically isn't an average spoiler.

*this sentence can either have the piece that has been striked removed, or moved to the end of the sentence by adding "That improved my self confidence by a lot".

1) "Well, actually he does, but I won't talk about it* because that would be a spoiler." *or you could use "about that because".
2) "And it focuses a lot"
3) "which means that the main attribute"

If you see a simple "strike through" that means the sentence/s would function better without that word. (:

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2013-02-25, 11:38

Kaylee wrote:He must have a lot of people he really hates if he wants to keep the note, then. :lol: Does he kill innocent people?

At first, he uses the note only to kill dangerous criminals. However, he becomes obsessed with the idea of creating a "perfect world" using the note as a tool. So much that, after a while, he begins to kill anyone who he sees as obstacles for his objective.

The manga is truly about how people change when they have too much power in their hands. Light changes from a justice seeker to a fanatic and dangerous psychopath through the series.

A question I have: Lakhota is a difficult language to learn? I read the Wikipedia article about the language and it looks interesting!

Kaylee

Postby Kaylee » 2013-03-01, 0:23

BlackZ wrote:
Kaylee wrote:He must have a lot of people he really hates if he wants to keep the note, then. :lol: Does he kill innocent people?

At first, he uses the note only to kill dangerous criminals. However, he becomes obsessed with the idea of creating a "perfect world" using the note as a tool. So much that, after a while, he begins to kill anyone who he sees as obstacles for his objective.

The manga is truly about how people change when they have too much power in their hands. Light changes from a justice seeker to a fanatic and dangerous psychopath through the series.

A question I have: Lakhota is a difficult language to learn? I read the Wikipedia article about the language and it looks interesting!

Eh, where was Light's uncle to say "With great power comes great responsibility" when he needed it? :lol:

That actually, as odd as it may sound, is my kind of manga/story! I like reading/watching stories about the character of, well, the character. There was a story I used to read a few years back where the main character was trying to make sure he never made mistakes (theft, murder etc etc) and it ended up driving him insane. It was actually quite enjoyable, even if I make it sound psychotic. :whistle:

To answer your question, no, it isn't very hard at all. Even with one dictionary (includes grammar) I have learned a massive amount of Lakhota and it was very easy for me, and I never had experiance with learning langauges nor did I have knowledge of Linguistics.

And it is very interesting! :yep:

"A question I have" should be "I have a question".

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”