Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Moderator: Luís

oico2388

Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Postby oico2388 » 2011-11-29, 16:47

What is easier to learn if you already know Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Yasna

Re: Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Postby Yasna » 2011-11-29, 17:02

At this point what does it matter? Brazilian Portuguese (with 20 times more speakers) is the standard now. Learning European Portuguese would be like an English learner aspiring to learn New Zealand English.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-11-29, 19:38

Unless, y'know, they planned on traveling to Portugal or something. Or hey - maybe their hometown has a lot of Portuguese people.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

sergiolopes

Postby sergiolopes » 2011-12-09, 11:36

oico2388 wrote:What is easier to learn if you already know Spanish, Brazilian Portuguese or European Portuguese?

Both should be equally easy (or difficult). If I were you, I'd choose the one that represents the culture you're more interested in.

Yasna wrote:At this point what does it matter? Brazilian Portuguese (with 20 times more speakers) is the standard now. Learning European Portuguese would be like an English learner aspiring to learn New Zealand English.

More like learning UK English.
"Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors."

Native speaker of Portuguese, who's fluent in English, intermediate in Spanish and has some passive knowledge of French. My passion is Greek, which I study along with Dutch. I dream of one day being fluent in Icelandic.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2011-12-09, 12:06

if oico is from states... he can even attend to a church with services in brazilian portuguese...
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

sergiolopes

Postby sergiolopes » 2011-12-09, 13:34

osias wrote:if oico is from states... he can even attend to a church with services in brazilian portuguese...

He asked for which one would be easier to learn, not which variant is more widespread or has the most influence. I just can't accept when someone uses the number of speakers as the end-all criterion for choosing a language (or dialect), when there's so much more to consider.
"Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors."

Native speaker of Portuguese, who's fluent in English, intermediate in Spanish and has some passive knowledge of French. My passion is Greek, which I study along with Dutch. I dream of one day being fluent in Icelandic.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2011-12-09, 13:57

sergiolopes wrote:
osias wrote:if oico is from states... he can even attend to a church with services in brazilian portuguese...

He asked for which one would be easier to learn
I know. I believe *is* easier if you listen and interact personally with native speakers. But anyway I know I'm not answering the question, just giving an extra tip.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-10, 6:45

To answer the question, Brazilian is probably easier if you know Spanish (although I would like to know what kind of Spanish we're talking about here as well).
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-12-10, 9:32

Brazilian Portuguese is easier with prior Spanish intuition; although I find that the phonologies of EP and Castilian Spanish are a bit more similar than those of BP and Latin American Spanish.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Ser

Postby Ser » 2011-12-20, 0:04

With all that insane vowel reduction? I really don't think so. :P

I guess they're equally easy or difficult, so probably you'd study the one that interests you more for whatever reason. (Friends? Trips? Family? The Portuguese media/literature you'd like to understand in the original?)

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-12-20, 0:15

Whoa. Os meus olhos estão me enganando. O Serafim? No fórum de português? Impossível!

Acho que meu post acima com a palavra <Spanish> te atraiu aqui; perdão. :P
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Chekhov

Postby Chekhov » 2011-12-20, 4:58

With all that insane vowel reduction? I really don't think so. And consonant lenition! Whereas BP has more nasal vowels and also affrication, which is very un-Spanish like.
吾が舞へば、麗し女、酔ひにけり
吾が舞へば、照る月、響むなり

Soniashope

Postby Soniashope » 2012-01-02, 3:24

Which one is easier or more difficult will depend a lot on what ones primary language is. If your language of "birth" has many guttural sounds, Brazilian Portuguese will be easier. If your language of "birth" has more lisping sounds, then European Portuguese might be easier. These two languages are very similar. In my opinion, if you can learn one you will pretty much understand and be able to communicate with the other. 8-)

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”