My Recording

Moderator: Luís

loqu
Location: Sevilla [seˈβiʝa] (Andalucía), born in Cádiz [ˈkaði]

Re: My Recording

Postby loqu » 2011-02-14, 23:10

Michael wrote:I hear that ceceo on Spanish networks so often, that it gets annoying :roll:

I really doubt that. Ceceo gets under-represented in Spanish media, I don't think it's present at all in Latin American television.
Dir la veritat sempre és revolucionari.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-02-15, 5:03

Would a good comparison of Brazilian vs. European Portuguese be between North American English and Scots? Or are they closer than that?

BlackZ

Postby BlackZ » 2011-02-15, 9:58

Lenguas wrote:Would a good comparison of Brazilian vs. European Portuguese be between North American English and Scots? Or are they closer than that?

By reading this, I reached to the conclusion that Brazilian and European Portuguese are closer one to the other than North American English and Scots.

Perhaps it could be a good comparison if we consider only the pronounciation, however our vocabulary, grammar and syntax still are far closer than that.

For instance, I rarely have any difficulty in reading European Portuguese - sometimes it even take a while until I figure out that one text was written in Portugal, not in Brazil. There are differences in the spelling of some words (BP: ação, EP: acção) use of different verbal tenses in some situations (BP: Estou tentando, EP: Estou a tentar :?: ) and vocabulary (BP: ônibus, EP: autocarro), but those doesn't reduce the intellegibility that much.

In my humble opinion, the difference between Scots and NA English is comparable to that of Portuguese and Spanish (at least in writing).
Native: [flag=]pt-br[/flag]
Learning: [flag=]en-us[/flag] [flag=]fr[/flag] [flag=]ja[/flag] [flag=]es[/flag] [flag=]ca[/flag] [flag=]de[/flag]

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-02-15, 17:29

In my humble opinion, the difference between Scots and NA English is comparable to that of Portuguese and Spanish (at least in writing).

Yes, that is a good comparison. The difference between Brazilian and European writing is probably equivalent to the difference between US English and UK English.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-05-03, 23:34

Here is a new recording using a different accent: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-38dd1fb9.html

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-05-04, 0:59

Eu já sei que apanhou esse texto da Wikipedia, com certeza :P Eu acho que tem um sotaque bastante aceitável, ainda que eu não esteja certo dos padrões europeus que está imitando. Bom, eu faço uma gravação, mas no sotaque brasileiro cujo é meu padrão, daquele mesmo texto para que você possa comparar. Talvez leia depressa demais pra você, mas assim eu leio o português :)
http://www.2shared.com/audio/lTGou2WK/Igreja.html
Igreja (do grego εκκλησία [ekklesia] e latim ecclesia) é uma instituição religiosa cristã separada do Estado. Cabe a igreja administrar o dinheiro do dízimo, construir templos, ordenar sacerdotes e muitas vezes mantê-los e repassar para seus crentes sua interpretação da Bíblia. Igreja também pode significar um templo cristão, por exemplo, a "Igreja de São Pedro" (refere-se ao templo dedicado ao São Pedro).

Aos brasileiros deste fórum, que me façam saber se houver qualquer erro no meu sotaque!
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2011-05-05, 7:16

Lenguas wrote:Here is a new recording using a different accent: http://www.datafilehost.com/download-38dd1fb9.html

It's ok. I could understand everything you said, at least. :)

However, if you're aiming at European Portuguese you should pay more attention to the following:

- You need to reduce vowels (namely 'a' and 'e') in unstressed syllables. I hardly heard any /ɐ/ and /ɨ/ in your recording;

- You need to pay more attention to nasal vowels/diphthongs, they sometimes sound a bit too open/oral;

- Prosody! It sounds as if you're reading each word individually instead of making them flow together. You also don't make any liaisons (such as making final -s sound as /z/ when the next word begins with a vowel).
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-05-07, 4:19

Ok, here's a second attempt:
http://www.datafilehost.com/download-76fecc9f.html

@Michael, wow you can speak really fast!
Last edited by Lenguas on 2011-05-11, 16:47, edited 3 times in total.

Michael

Postby Michael » 2011-05-07, 5:10

Lenguas wrote:Ok, here's a second attempt:
Hmm, you seem to have gone even slower this time :? I realize both varieties of Portuguese can be a mouthful to learn how to pronounce, and despite how authentic I sound, I still have much to learn myself. I still struggle with the open vs. close distinctions, and it's almost been a year.

Lenguas wrote:@Michael, wow you can speak really fast!
Com muita certeza! :D But I spoke fast? :shock: That was like the slowest I could go! :mrgreen: But whaddya expect. Portuguese is in ma blood 8-) You just gotta get a feel fa it, that's all.
American English (en-us) Pizzonese (nap) N Italian (it) Mexican Spanish (es-mx) Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Albanian (sq) B1 Greek (el) Persian (fa) A2 Romanian (ro) Old English (en_old) Turkish (tr) Azerbaijani (az) A1
„Çdo njeri është peng i veprave të veta.‟
Every human being is hostage to their own deeds.

sergiolopes

Postby sergiolopes » 2011-05-07, 8:36

Lenguas wrote:Ok, here's a second attempt:

You got better at some things, but worse at others. Some things I noticed:
1. make sure your <i> sound like [i], as in sheep. Your pronunciation of igreja sounded like "agreja" (you make this mistake in other words)
2. mind your <s>. As I said before, syllable final <s> is:
. [ʒ] as in measure if followed by a voiced consonant (e.g. islão, vais logo)
. [ʃ] as in shell if followed by a voiceless consonant (e.g. haste, vais tarde)
. [z] as in zebra if between vowels (e.g. vais agora). In this case, also in other positions (e.g. asa)
3. your pronunciation of dinheiro was wrong. It sounded like "dinhiero". Probably because you add an "i" after the "nh" to help you make the palatal sound [ɲ].
4. in muitas (and other inflections of muito), although not reflected in the spelling, the <i> is nasal, as in ruim.
5. try to pronounce all the vowels in words like significar and administrar. You seem to read it as "sinificar" and "aministrar".
6. the <x> in exemplo is read as [z]
"Books permit us to voyage through time, to tap the wisdom of our ancestors."

Native speaker of Portuguese, who's fluent in English, intermediate in Spanish and has some passive knowledge of French. My passion is Greek, which I study along with Dutch. I dream of one day being fluent in Icelandic.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-05-11, 16:46

Osias

Postby Osias » 2011-05-13, 16:36

Michael wrote:Eu já sei que apanhou esse texto da Wikipedia, com certeza :P Eu acho que tem um sotaque bastante aceitável, ainda que eu não esteja certo dos padrões europeus que está imitando. Bom, eu faço uma gravação, mas no sotaque brasileiro cujo é meu padrão, daquele mesmo texto para que você possa comparar. Talvez leia depressa demais pra você, mas assim eu leio o português :)
http://www.2shared.com/audio/lTGou2WK/Igreja.html
Igreja (do grego εκκλησία [ekklesia] e latim ecclesia) é uma instituição religiosa cristã separada do Estado. Cabe a igreja administrar o dinheiro do dízimo, construir templos, ordenar sacerdotes e muitas vezes mantê-los e repassar para seus crentes sua interpretação da Bíblia. Igreja também pode significar um templo cristão, por exemplo, a "Igreja de São Pedro" (refere-se ao templo dedicado ao São Pedro).

Aos brasileiros deste fórum, que me façam saber se houver qualquer erro no meu sotaque!

Tá bom o sotaque, só em "por exemplo" e "refere-se ao templo " é que foi falado rápido e pareceu Português de Portugal.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

Lenguas

Postby Lenguas » 2011-07-19, 14:28

What do you guys think of the grammar and word choice of Galician compared to Brazilian and European? How does it come off to Brazilians? It's closer to European Portuguese in grammar, right?, so does that mean it sounds more literary than colloquial versions of Brazilian Portuguese, or does it just sound grammatically incorrect? And how about the loanwords from Castillian? And what do you think of the 2nd person pronouns (ti, vós, vosoutros, vostede)?

Return to “Portuguese (Português)”