What do you prefer: Ćirilica or Latinica (Serbia)

Rastko Pocesta
What do you prefer: Ćirilica or Latinica (Serbia)

Postby Rastko Pocesta » 2010-03-18, 18:49

I personally prefer latinica, cause then foreigners could even partially understand me. When i write ćirilica, i suppose it looks like hieroglyphs to one American, englishman or French... :D

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Re: What do you prefer: Ćirilica or Latinica (Serbia)

Postby voron » 2010-03-19, 10:38

Rastko Pocesta wrote:cause then foreigners could even partially understand me

Do we not count us as foreigners then? :)

I don't have any preference, besides that I type the fastest using Latinica without diacritics as I got used to it in chatrooms.
Last edited by voron on 2010-03-19, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2010-03-19, 11:53

I prefer Cyrillic when writing, and Latin when typing.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2010-03-19, 12:28

btw it's an interesting observation how for you guys Cyrillic vs Latin has become an issue with political and cultural connotations. I liked a paragraph from "Nacionalni park Srbija" (which I recently received in paper as a present :)) about "obogaćeni ugostitelj":
Primetio je podignutu ruku i zamućen pogled za najbučnijim stolom... Osam Srpskih Biznismena na poslovnom ručku. Odisalo je ćirilicom:
- Дете!.. 'Оће л' тај рачун да дође?..

Na šta to ćirilica može da odiše? Rakiju i beli luk? :D

wolf_88

Postby wolf_88 » 2010-03-24, 14:34

Ćirilica can reak of nationalisam. In busses or at bus stations in Belgrade, you can see "ПИШИМО ЋИРИЛИЦОМ, ОСТАНИМО СРБИ" (write cyrilic, remain serbian) and similar nationalistic proganda, here directed towards the most recent conflict we had - with coratians (sorry if there are any croatian people here, i actually luv you guys :) )
So it can be a sensitive subjest. Cyrilic has been labled serbian, even though the people who invented it were macedonian/bulgarian (not sure), and based upon the teachings of two greek people :P
Serbs love being stupid :P
Native: Serbian ( Sprski / BCS)
Fluent - proficient: English
Advanced: Norwerian ( Norsk)
Intermediate/Good: Russian, Portuguese
Studying: German, Korean + Wants to learn: Norrønt, Middle and Old Englsih, Czech, Frisian, Dutch

Ludwig Whitby

Postby Ludwig Whitby » 2010-03-24, 15:02

wolf_88 wrote:Ćirilica can reak of nationalisam. In busses or at bus stations in Belgrade, you can see "ПИШИМО ЋИРИЛИЦОМ, ОСТАНИМО СРБИ" (write cyrilic, remain serbian) and similar nationalistic proganda, here directed towards the most recent conflict we had - with coratians (sorry if there are any croatian people here, i actually luv you guys :) )
So it can be a sensitive subjest. Cyrilic has been labled serbian, even though the people who invented it were macedonian/bulgarian (not sure), and based upon the teachings of two greek people :P

You must admit that nationalism in our country goes hand in hand with religiousness, so those people see it as the script that was created by Macedonian Serbs (Don't forget the "Everybody is a Serb" theory :D)(Or if you make them admit that Kliment and Naum were not Serbs, they were both Orthodox Christians, and Slavs.), named it after their Orthodox Greek teacher, and was later reformed by an Orthodox Serb.
On the other hand Latin was made the by Romans and used mostly in Croatia, than reformed by a Croat, Ljudevit Gaj.
So I think that one could argue that Cyrillic is Serbian and Latin Croatian, though I think we (Serbs) should use both scripts equally, and that we're lucky to have 2 scripts.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2010-03-26, 12:11

I think you wouldn't be so sensitive on the Cyrillic issue if it were not being slowly replaced by Latin (isn't it the case? I can hardly see any Serbian Cyrillic on the internet besides websites of government structures and nationalists). If its position were stable (like Cyrillic in Russia), why would anyone bother?

wolf_88

Postby wolf_88 » 2010-04-05, 12:53

True. Lots of books at written in cyrilic, and translators often use cyrilic, but it's annoying to write cyrilic on a keyboard intended for latin.

I am pretty ciratin cyrilic will dissapear from Serbian, cause the goverment and the scientific centers are not doing anything radical to protect it... I don't want to make value judgements if this is good or bad, but i can say i always support diversity over homogenity, so im happy to have had the opportunity to learn both :partyhat:
Native: Serbian ( Sprski / BCS)
Fluent - proficient: English
Advanced: Norwerian ( Norsk)
Intermediate/Good: Russian, Portuguese
Studying: German, Korean + Wants to learn: Norrønt, Middle and Old Englsih, Czech, Frisian, Dutch

Roxannah

Postby Roxannah » 2010-05-25, 2:04

I must say printed ćirilica is much more appealing to me than cursive ćirilica.
Does anyone actually handwrite printed ćirilica? :hmm:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-05-25, 2:10

Latin is easier for me but I think Cyrillic suits the language better. But I have no real preference either way and I must admit I don't really understand the finer points of the political implications each has.
I must say printed ćirilica is much more appealing to me than cursive ćirilica.
Does anyone actually handwrite printed ćirilica? :hmm:
Nope.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2010-05-26, 20:51

I prefer Ћирилицу - in my opinion all Slavic people should write in Cyrillic - these letters had been created for the Great Slavonic nation!

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-05-26, 23:10

Even Catholics like the Poles?
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

gothwolf
Language Forum Moderator

Postby gothwolf » 2010-05-27, 14:12

That's an interesting question. I'm not sure but in my opinion Cyrillic alphabet had been created to serve not only the needs of the Slavic Orthodox church but the all Slavic people as well because they hadn't had writing system at that time. But I don't know why Catholic Slavs had "picked out" the Latin alphabet. :hmm:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2010-05-27, 19:19

Because Latin was the language of the Church, of course. But I feel Cyrillic suits Slavic languages better from a linguistic point of view (written Polish is a good example of how unwieldy Latin can be) so I agree. But I don't think Poles, Czechs and Slovaks are likely to give up their writing systems any time soon.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

Rastko Pocesta

Postby Rastko Pocesta » 2010-09-12, 4:47

wolf_88 wrote:Ćirilica can reak of nationalisam. In busses or at bus stations in Belgrade, you can see "ПИШИМО ЋИРИЛИЦОМ, ОСТАНИМО СРБИ" (write cyrilic, remain serbian) and similar nationalistic proganda, here directed towards the most recent conflict we had - with coratians (sorry if there are any croatian people here, i actually luv you guys :) )

So true. "Буди Србин-пиши ћирилицом" is among the stupidest slogans I ever heard in my life. Although OBRAZ wrote "СРБIN" on the Ratko Mladic's and Radovan Karadzic's photos. Nationalism is so sick... I enjoy being free of that disgusting thing called nationality. ;)

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2010-09-12, 5:17

I haven't started learn any languages which use Cyrillic yet, but I think that in Slavic languages, printed Cyrillic looks better than printed Latin. I'm not a fan of written Cyrillic at all though.

Rastko Pocesta wrote:So true. "Буди Србин-пиши ћирилицом" is among the stupidest slogans I ever heard in my life. Although OBRAZ wrote "СРБIN" on the Ratko Mladic's and Radovan Karadzic's photos. Nationalism is so sick... I enjoy being free of that disgusting thing called nationality. ;)

I don't understand why people think it is sick to have love for their country. I know you don't choose your country of birth, but you can always move away if you don't like it.

I also think it's sad that Croatians are starting to use more English loanwords in an attempt to differentiate itself from Serbian instead of coining their own words, but I guess that's another issue completely.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2010-09-12, 6:32

Yasha wrote:I also think it's sad that Croatians are starting to use more English loanwords in an attempt to differentiate itself from Serbian instead of coining their own words, but I guess that's another issue completely.

Uhm, it's rather the other way around. Croatian is quite a puristic language (well, officially at least), and Serbian has a lot of loan words.
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2010-09-12, 6:42

kibo wrote:Uhm, it's rather the other way around. Croatian is quite a puristic language (well, officially at least), and Serbian has a lot of loan words.

What I was referring to was Croatian being a traditionally puristic language and starting to become less so by even expelling words of Church Slavonic origin. I assumed the alternative were loanwords. I think I'm wrong here now... so I'll just stop.

kibo

Postby kibo » 2010-09-12, 6:58

No, I am interested if you have any examples. :) I think that is true to some extent (for example in slang), but that wouldn't help Croatian differentiate itself from Serbian, nor is that the reason for taking in words from English. It's just the consequence of globalization and the fact that English is now the world's lingua franca. :)
Goals:
[flag=]es[/flag] ➜ C1 (DELE)
[flag=]de[/flag] ➜ B2 (Goethe-Zertifikat) / C1
[flag=]sv[/flag] ➜ B1/B2

hlysnan

Postby hlysnan » 2010-09-12, 7:36

kibo wrote:No, I am interested if you have any examples. :) I think that is true to some extent (for example in slang), but that wouldn't help Croatian differentiate itself from Serbian, nor is that the reason for taking in words from English. It's just the consequence of globalization and the fact that English is now the world's lingua franca. :)

I'm just looking at wikipedia at the moment and I found the following:
Eng: rice
Serb: pirinač
Croat/Bosnian: riža

I'm not sure whether pirinič is a borrowing or neologism, and I also don't know if riža is even a borrowing from English.

Getting back to the original topic: I'm no fan of borrowings in general so I'm more disappointed with the path that the Serbian language took. Although I would like to see Croatian and Bosnian to be written in Cyrillic simply because it seems like the pan-Slavic thing to do, and I'm also not supportive of diacritic and digraph use when it can be avoided.

Return to “Bosnian/Croatian/Serbian (Bosanski/Hrvatski/Српски)”