A joke that you wouldn’t understand

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

bradcole
A joke that you wouldn’t understand

Postby bradcole » 2021-03-29, 9:11

Top 4 Self Leveling Rotary Laser Levels for Electricians

Whether it is about tackling interior applications or outdoor projects, rotary lasers are vital to achieving desired outcomes. Novices can understand how to use them for installing drop ceilings, cabinets, and drywall. An electrician can buy a rotating laser level for installing lights, electric outlets, and for every application requiring accurate leveling and alignment.

Why A Self Leveling Rotary Laser Level?

In a nutshell, these rotating laser levels incorporate electronic systems to let you start work immediately. Automatic self-leveling does not bother you, as does manual leveling. With this feature, you can execute your work without worrying about errors.

Without any further ado, let us discuss the top 5 self-leveling rotary laser levels for electricians in the below section.

Spectra Precision LL100N Rotating Laser Level

It is the most productive rotating laser level that is easily manageable. With quick setups, it enables electricians to complete their tasks in real-time. Our experts rated it the best rotary laser level Imagefor its multiple functions and easy operations. Hence, a beginner can operate it without any training. A pretty good range of 350 meters in diameter makes it more productive.

Laser level and its receiver can withstand harsh worksite conditions. For example, you can use them in rainy seasons and dusty environments. Our experts found them perfect and accurate at almost all types of job sites.

Bosch GLL2-20 Rotating Laser Level

In average working conditions, its visibility range is up to 65 feet. With 360 degrees coverage, you can gain high productivity in less time. You can also project laser beams in four ways, including horizontal, vertical, both together, and manual.

The pendulum locking system enhances efficiency and safety during transportation. Meanwhile, the self-leveling feature can help you save a lot of time. If leveling does not go properly, this rotary laser level notifies the user to rectify it. You will have batteries, magnets, and grid clamps in the kit.

Spectra Precision LL300N-2 Rotating Laser Level

Spectra Precision never stops impressing buyers with its rotary laser level Imagemodels. LL300N-2 is an example that features a rugged design and hard hat to protect the unit even if it falls from a tripod. One-button operation is a feature that does not require expertise, and novices can operate this device with ease. The weatherproof quality widens the scope of the product.

Spectra HV101 Rotating Laser Level

High durability, high visibility, and easy operation make this laser level for landscaping stand out from many other rotary laser levels. One-touch control enables quick setup and management. Way too many scanning angles and spinning speeds make it buyers' choice. Slope setting and alignment do not require a complex operation.

Dust and moisture do not affect the performance of this rotary laser level. Vertical and horizontal projections speak of versatility. You can count on this device for all electrical applications.

Conclusion

Hopefully, our article can give you helpful insights into what can be the best rotating laser level for you. You can also visitImage Self Leveling Rotary Laser Level Reviews for more in-depth information. Generally, a great buying tip you should keep in mind is to select any of those devices after matching its features with your requirements. No matter what model you will pick, all of the above products are all-rounders.
Last edited by bradcole on 2022-06-13, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.

linguoboy

Re: A joke that you wouldn’t understand

Postby linguoboy » 2021-03-29, 19:50

My Armenian-Canadian friend married a Finnish-Canadian and was fond of telling this joke, which she says originates in Finland:

Q: What's white and hides in the bushes?
A: Shy milk.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-03-29, 22:00

linguoboy wrote:My Armenian-Canadian friend married a Finnish-Canadian and was fond of telling this joke, which she says originates in Finland:

Q: What's white and hides in the bushes?
A: Shy milk.

Mikä on valkoinen ja piilottelee puun takana? Ujo piimä. What is white and hides behind the tree? Shy buttermilk.

Questions like these are children's schoolyard riddles. There are lots of them! Here are some others I found along the same lines:
Mikä on keltainen ja osoittaa pohjoiseen? Mangneettibanaani. What is yellow and points to the north? A magnetic banana.
Mikä on valko-musta-vihreä ja se lentää? Lentävä koivu. What is white, black and green and it flies? A flying birch.
Mikä on valko-musta-ruskea ja se lentää? Sama koivu syksyllä. What is white-black-brown and it flies? The same birch in autumn.
Mikä on vihreä ja lentää taivaalla? Kaali, joka menee matkoille. What is green and flies in the sky? Cabbage that is going on a trip.
Millä on neljä jalkaa, on iso ja vihreä ja jos se putoaa puusta, se voi tappaa sinut? Biljardipöytä. What has four legs, is big and green, and if it falls from a tree it can kill you? A pool table.
Miksi norsu maalaa jalkapohjansa keltaisiksi? Ettei sitä huomata kun se ui selkäuintia appelsiinimarmeladissa. Why does the elephant paint the soles of his feet yellow? So that he isn't noticed when he swims in orange marmalade.
Mikä kana kasvaa maassa? Porkkana. What chicken grows in the ground? A carrot. (this one is a pun: kana = chicken, porkkana = carrot)

They aren't really supposed to make sense, I think the joke is more that unless someone has heard the riddle before there's pretty much no way they will know the correct answer. That's probably why children like them so much! We have the same kind of thing in English and they don't make much more 'sense' in English either:
Why did the elephant paint its toenails red? To hide in a cherry tree.
What's black and white and red all over? A newspaper.(this one is also a pun on the words red/read)

As for the porkkana one in Finnish and the newspaper one in English, puns really don't translate at all. I posted one that I liked in the Estonian language forum a couple of days ago:
Halloo, kas ma Mona Lisaga saaks rääkida? Ei, ta on maal. Hello, may I speak with Mona Lisa? No, she's out / she's a painting. It's a pun on the word maal because maal means both "a painting" and "in the country". Can we not talk to Mona Lisa because she's not at home but rather out in the country, or because she's a painting that can't speak? We'll never know which it is. :mrgreen:
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2021-03-29, 22:39

Linguaphile wrote:Mikä kana kasvaa maassa? Porkkana. What chicken grows in the ground? A carrot. (this one is a pun: kana = chicken, porkkana = carrot)

► Show Spoiler

They aren't really supposed to make sense, I think the joke is more that unless someone has heard the riddle before there's pretty much no way they will know the correct answer.

My niece was obsessed with these jokes some years ago, but she didn't understand that even if the answers are quite creative, they should have some connection to the questions... She made jokes such as "what's red and climbs a tree? - a potato" and then laughed at her own joke. Most of the time I had to fake laugh with her so that she wouldn't be disappointed, but some of her jokes were so bizarre they were actually funny. 😂 I wish I had written them down!

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-03-29, 22:41

I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this before (though not in a while), but one joke I occasionally hear in Malayalam is "have you ever heard of [uˈgaːɳɖa]? [uˈgaːɳɖa]?" sometimes accompanied with a hand motion as if the speaker was holding a (piece of :D) fruit in their right hand. The joke is supposedly that to a Malayalee ear, the country name "Uganda" sounds like the name of a fruit even though there are no fruit names I have ever encountered in Malayalam that sound similar. My dad later pointed out that maybe it could have something to do with the fact that [ˈəɳɖi] means 'nut' and [kaː] can mean 'fruit' or 'nut'.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-03-29, 22:49

I had a Palestinian friend in college who had a number of invented names he liked to repeat. Each sounded like a real name in a European language but wasn't. I think there was some punning involved in his native dialect, but of course it was all lost on the rest of us who didn't speak any Arabic. The only one I remember any more is "José Dondalero".
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-03-30, 1:40

I mean, I think Dondalero sounds pretty cute. :D Kinda reminds me of "Bamboleo," or even of how my cousin's youngest son used to call camels [ɖəkɨˈɖuːɖu] when he was a baby. (Okay, I know that last one is a stretch, but it still reminded me of that when I thought about it long enough anyway :lol:).

Apparently, دندل dandal in Iraqi Arabic at least means 'to hang, dangle', and even in Maltese, dendel means 'to hang' (including hanging clothes or hanging a person).

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2021-03-30, 3:41

Naava wrote:My niece was obsessed with these jokes some years ago, but she didn't understand that even if the answers are quite creative, they should have some connection to the questions... She made jokes such as "what's red and climbs a tree? - a potato" and then laughed at her own joke. Most of the time I had to fake laugh with her so that she wouldn't be disappointed, but some of her jokes were so bizarre they were actually funny. 😂 I wish I had written them down!

That's really cute! I would have laughed too. Probably not at the joke itself, but at how funny she thinks they are.
I like the kana cartoons you posted too. :mrgreen:
More:
► Show Spoiler
Sono di continuo a caccia di parole. Descriverei il processo così: Ogni giorno entro in un bosco con un cestino in mano. Trovo le parole tutt'attorno: sugli alberi, nei cespugli, per terra (in realtà: per la strada, durante la conversazioni, mentre leggo). Ne raccolgo quante più possibile. -Jhumpa Lahiri

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-03-30, 7:36

I have a few back issues of the Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad. I'm not sure I get the jokes in any of the cartoons. I guess some of them at least don't make sense unless you literally read them every day to get the full context.

Return to “Literature”