Proof reading and comment exchange

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Proof reading and comment exchange

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-13, 12:26

Hi there!
This idea has been running in my heard for a while! So you'll tell me what you feel about it!
how would you like to read each other's book (before publication) to give opinions and comment and help the other to get better? This way the writer gets an external point of view for free :)

So, if anyone's wishing to make a proof reading and comment exchange with me, I'm more than willing!
I can read French, English, Portuguese, simple Italian and Spanish. I'm unfortunately not ready for Hungarian yet...

In exchange, I write French and English :) I'm always ready to welcome comments!
Okay, let's see if this works :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Proof reading and comment exchange

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-13, 16:36

I might be interested. Can you remind me again what kind of literature you write again? It's fiction of some sort, right? How long is your book? (My grandfather's memoirs as I've edited them are currently 71 pages single-spaced).

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-14, 7:01

Hey, thanks Vijay!
I actually don't like to count in pages because it depends on the font and lots of things... It is about 31 000 words, but I think in ebook format it may be around 70 pages as well.
I write only fiction, perhaps that can be classified in "Woman fiction", though the one I just published is more like a drama (the ones in English are generally more like fictional dramas). I've had it proof-read for the correction of English, of course, so I just need an external point of view about the story and the characters :) My friends have "kindly" been enthousiastic about it but you know, sometimes people just want to be nice :ohwell:

What about your work? What kind of edition did you finally choose? :)
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-15, 8:11

I still haven't made a decision about how I want to publish it, if that's what you mean. (My brother and his family were staying at our house for about three weeks, and since he has a two-year-old daughter, I didn't really get any time to do anything else. Besides, there are a lot of things I have been trying to squeeze into my free time).

Mine is 37,431 words. It's divided into eight chapters, each with about six pages on average. I'm getting kind of worried about whether I'll manage to make enough time to proofread yours though, sorry. :(

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-15, 18:15

There's no hurry anymore (when all is said and done). I mean, my book is published so anyway, no rush now :)
As for yours, it's your schedule! Let me know when you're ready! :D

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-19, 4:51

Oh OK, I didn't realize yours was already published. I also just realized I never told you I never had it proofread by a native speaker of English. :para: I will, though. I hope that's okay. I think I'll just send it over to you just in case. :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-22, 17:28

I'm 20 pages into your book Vijay! :D It's easy reading, but the style does look too much like a translation for me for the moment :) I carry on! I was also a bit surprised by the choice of the tenses - mixing present and past - maybe you should chose another font when you add notes and introductions, and another one when your grandfather actually speaks :wink:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-22, 17:50

france-eesti wrote:maybe you should chose another font when you add notes and introductions, and another one when your grandfather actually speaks :wink:

Yeah, I agree, I think I will do that because somebody else has suggested that, too. Maybe I'll try to look more carefully at the choice of tenses, too. Your book is easy reading, too, even though I've been kind of procrastinating over it. :oops: I think I'll try to help you proofread it, though. I like the way you described the ending of the first part in Orléans - very dramatic, but not overly so, just enough to keep the reader hooked. :)

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2017-08-22, 18:08

Don't worry, I've procrastinated yours since today when I put aside my Hungarian book and decided to do something else (else I'd go crazy :silly: )
Thanks anyway for this exchange and let's carry on then :woohoo: :congrats:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2017-08-22, 22:08

I agree, we should keep going. :)

Return to “Literature”