Random Literature Thread

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

Yasna

Re: Random Literature Thread

Postby Yasna » 2019-08-12, 20:27

linguoboy wrote:Do you have a favourite African-American fiction author?

I think she's the only one I've read.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-14, 3:34

Yasna wrote:

Didn't you read any at any point in school? The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines? "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker? Virginia Hamilton? Zora Neale Hurston?

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2019-08-14, 15:26

vijayjohn wrote:
Yasna wrote:

Didn't you read any at any point in school? The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines? "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker? Virginia Hamilton? Zora Neale Hurston?

I was having this discussion with a coworker recently and I don't think we read a single African-American fiction author in high school. We barely read any white female authors. (The only one who comes to mind is Katherine Anne Porter.)
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2019-08-14, 22:08

vijayjohn wrote:Didn't you read any at any point in school? The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines? "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker? Virginia Hamilton? Zora Neale Hurston?

None of those ring a bell, but it's possible we read some short story that just didn't stick with me.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Dormouse559 » 2019-08-15, 0:10

I read at least a few novels by African-American authors in school. There was definitely "Native Son" by Richard Wright, and I'm pretty sure I read "Bud, Not Buddy" by Christopher Paul Curtis and "Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry" by Mildred D. Taylor. We also read the play "A Raisin in the Sun" by Lorraine Hansberry.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-23, 22:43

Yasna wrote:
vijayjohn wrote:Didn't you read any at any point in school? The Autobiography of Miss Jane Pittman by Ernest J. Gaines? "Everyday Use" by Alice Walker? Virginia Hamilton? Zora Neale Hurston?

None of those ring a bell, but it's possible we read some short story that just didn't stick with me.

To be fair, I didn't remember most of those names myself. Maybe I also should've mentioned "Sweet Potato Pie" by Eugenia Collier and this (which I read by choice). I know my brother had to read Gaines and Hurston, and I had to read Collier and Walker and read Hamilton by choice out of his English literature textbook. All the ones I read were short stories (except for the Dear America diary. I bought it out of a small assortment of books at the library in elementary school that we were required to pick from. The Dear America diaries were almost the only literature there that I found to be worth reading).

Return to “Literature”