What are your "Chills?"

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Koko
What are your "Chills?"

Postby Koko » 2015-02-03, 0:07

Whenever I finish a book I really love… so like every book I ever read :lol: , I get chills and goosebumps. This is usually how I know if that book is just marvelous, brilliant, fantastic, amazing, every good adjective that a book could be. Just last night, I finished rereading Revenge of the Witch by Joseph Delaney. The moment I read that last word, the shiver that was forming at the apex of my spine since the last page was turned ran down and goosebumps manifested all over my arms. That kind of chill comes only when the journey of the protagonist was shared with. This is usually how my experiences go with novels, especially series because there's more time for me to become they whose perspective I was reading.

So, what are your "chills?" Are you affected samely?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: What are your "Chills?"

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-02-03, 2:20

Hmm, I'm not sure. I think my reaction tends to be more like just staring blankly and open-mouthed afterwards (this happens with movies, too - in fact, I think it's happened more often with movies than with books. But then I've probably seen more movies than I have read books :hmm:). The last book I had that reaction with was probably the last one I read: a Malayalam novel called Malagal. The ending was mostly what I expected it to be, but I was surprised at the very end and didn't see it coming.

linguoboy

Re: What are your "Chills?"

Postby linguoboy » 2015-02-03, 3:55

I just got chills from a passage I read in 《丁庄夢》 (Dream of Ding Village) by 閻連科 (Yan Jianke). It would spoil the novel to say too much about it, but it involves romantic love in the face of certain death.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Literature”