The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The last thing you read

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-05-30, 4:17

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton.

The last thing you read which was centered around some kind of competition.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-05-30, 4:52

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, J. K. Rowling.

The last thing you read featuring an anorexic.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

mōdgethanc

Postby mōdgethanc » 2018-06-01, 22:06

Probably Girl, Interrupted.

The last thing you read set in a hospital.
[ˈmoːdjeðɑŋk]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-02, 2:40

The last thing I read that was partly set in a hospital (the story begins in a psychiatric hospital, but the bulk of it is a flashback to all the events that led up to that point) was Yakshi by Malayattoor Ramakrishnan. I can't remember having read anything that was entirely set in a hospital.

The last thing you read even a part of that made you feel like you needed to look up some of the words used in it.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-06-05, 15:41

Every American comic book in its original language makes me google words.

The last thing you read your mother forbid you to read.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-06-05, 15:45

I was surprised recently to realise my parents never forbade me from reading anything. I even found a sex manual (The sensuous male) when I was about 13, read it, and told my brothers about it.

The last thing you read which featured a sexual encounter between two people of the same sex.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-06-07, 17:23

linguoboy wrote:I was surprised recently to realise my parents never forbade me from reading anything. I even found a sex manual (The sensuous male) when I was about 13, read it, and told my brothers about it.

My parents used to forbid me to read as a punishment. I think the term in English is "you're grounded", but it sounds strange to me to use it because I could still go outside and play soccer or something like that.

The last thing you read which featured a sexual encounter between two people of the same sex.
Y The Last Man, as the title says, featured a single male in the entire planet and lots of females, so they have no many options to have sex beyond that.

The last thing you read at your in-laws.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-07, 18:25

Madame Bovary from Flaubert... They own a very beautiful edition of it and it's always a pleasure to read a few chapters of it when I'm sleeping at my father-in-law's :D

The last thing you read featuring a motorbike.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-08, 6:59

I'm pretty sure that was some book I read back in school in fifth grade where the main characters were all Mexican American men from California and used a lot of Spanish. Unfortunately, I have no recollection of what the title was or who the author was (apart from also being a Latino man), even though I kind of remember the cover illustration.
Osias wrote:My parents used to forbid me to read as a punishment. I think the term in English is "you're grounded", but it sounds strange to me to use it because I could still go outside and play soccer or something like that.

That sounds like the opposite of "you're grounded" to me. I don't think English has a term for that.

The last thing you read in English.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-06-08, 8:53

Hamlet.

The last thing you read that you liked more than you thought you would.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-08, 9:19

Le vieux qui ne voulait pas fêter son anniversaire by Jonas Jonasson.
Delightful! I usually tend to dislike anything my mother forces me to read under the pretext that "you'll love it!" because it's generally cheesy and boring but this one wasn't! :P

The last thing you read that was very boring but you struggled and carried on and ended it.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-06-08, 9:47

A poem collection "Ariel" by Sylvia Plath. I didn't really like her style and I only read it because I had a literature exam (this morning!). Everything becomes so blaaaah when you're forced to do it. I'm sure that's a real adjective.

Btw, I also read Madame Bovary because of the exam. :D I thought it was a nice coincidence that france-eesti had read it recently too.

The last thing you read because "everybody" else had read it.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-08, 9:58

Naava wrote:A poem collection "Ariel" by Sylvia Plath. I didn't really like her style and I only read it because I had a literature exam (this morning!). Everything becomes so blaaaah when you're forced to do it. I'm sure that's a real adjective.

Haha indeed! :lol: How did the exam go? When do you expect to get results?

Naava wrote:Btw, I also read Madame Bovary because of the exam. :D I thought it was a nice coincidence that france-eesti had read it recently too.

Oh actually I had to read it in 2002-2003 when I was in University but didn't read the whole thing again since. I only like to go through a couple of chapters when I'm at my father-in-law's as Osias said :) but I kind of liked it when I studied it, may it be classical and supposedly boring! What did you think of this book Naava?

Naava wrote:The last thing you read because "everybody" else had read it.

I don't usually do that kind of thing, I don't like to read "must read" books nor to watch "blockbuster films" just because everyone does, so I'd say... That's the book I'm currently reading "Maman a tort" by Michel Bussi (the New French must read author), but it's kind of enjoyable :) Of course, "popular"...

The last thing you read and couldn't stop talking about to people around you.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-06-08, 10:39

france-eesti wrote:
Naava wrote:A poem collection "Ariel" by Sylvia Plath. I didn't really like her style and I only read it because I had a literature exam (this morning!). Everything becomes so blaaaah when you're forced to do it. I'm sure that's a real adjective.

Haha indeed! :lol: How did the exam go? When do you expect to get results?

I think it was ok. There were only two questions, one about genres of Candide and The Princess of Clèves, and one about how language was used to create comedy or serious tone in Hamlet and The Miser. I had just read about the genres so I'm somewhat confident about that, but I'm not sure what they'll think about my second answer. :D

They* should give me a grade within 3 weeks (that's a rule) but the professors don't always care about rules, especially not in summer. But they also said we should take the exam in early June* so that they could check them in time, which sounds like they plan to grade it soon. After all, it was just two questions so it shouldn't take long to read the answers, right? :para: In other words: no idea. I'll tell you if I ever find out what my grade is.

*We had two teachers.
*It was an electronic exam, which means we could choose the date freely.

france-eesti wrote:I kind of liked it when I studied it, may it be classical and supposedly boring! What did you think of this book Naava?

"What a boring book. What did you think of it?"
"Ummmm..." :lol:

Well I guess "boring" is mandatory because it is realism. I also read Chekhov's Uncle Vanya and that was boring. At least Madame Bovary had a surprising end! :D Though I did think she was such a drama queen there.
I'm used to reading texts I can hardly understand or that are really long and/or boring so the bar is quite low for any book a teacher is asking me to read. Because of that, I liked Madame Bovary. I could understand it (well, I read it in Finnish which helps a lot), the story was easy to follow (and I managed to skip a few pages every now and then because I don't care about descriptions of nature) and I think the plot was, well, ok. Not magnificent, not something I'd read again and again, but it was interesting enough that I enjoyed reading it. I'd say it was well written.

But for some reason I keep mixing up Madame Bovary and The Princess of Clèves. Maybe because both madame Bovary and the princess fall in love with someone else after they're married.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-08, 12:15

france-eesti wrote:The last thing you read and couldn't stop talking about to people around you.

Probably my grandfather's war memoirs :P

The last thing you read that had a happier ending than you were hoping for.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-06-08, 13:02

vijayjohn wrote:
Osias wrote:My parents used to forbid me to read as a punishment. I think the term in English is "you're grounded", but it sounds strange to me to use it because I could still go outside and play soccer or something like that.

That sounds like the opposite of "you're grounded" to me. I don't think English has a term for that.

In Portuguese, any punishment by parents is called 'castigo', which means... punishment. If the kid is being punished for a time period, the kid is 'de castigo', and if the punishment is to stay home it matches the 'grounded' from English, I think.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-06-14, 16:28

france-eesti wrote:How did the exam go? When do you expect to get results?

I got the results now: grade 5 on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 is best. I honestly did not expect this! :D Even though my friend did tell me that they seemed to be very gracious with their grading, maybe because this course was aimed at first year literature majors.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-14, 17:59

Naava wrote:I got the results now: grade 5 on a scale of 1 to 5, where 5 is best. I honestly did not expect this! :D Even though my friend did tell me that they seemed to be very gracious with their grading, maybe because this course was aimed at first year literature majors.

Congratulations! This is great news! Will you celebrate? :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat:
So now what's next? :D

vijayjohn wrote:The last thing you read that had a happier ending than you were hoping for.

Watermelon, by Marian Keyes.

The last thing you read featuring a football player.

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2018-06-14, 19:19

france-eesti wrote:Congratulations! This is great news! Will you celebrate? :partyhat: :partyhat: :partyhat:
So now what's next? :D

More studying, as always. :P I need to take a similar exam about history of Finnish literature and I'm also thinking about this one exam where they have the best book list ever:
► Show Spoiler

I'm tempted by this because I've already read 6 of the novels, so now I would only need to read two theory books and I'd be ready for the exam... :mrgreen:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-15, 0:28

france-eesti wrote:The last thing you read featuring a football player.

My grandfather's war memoirs, in a way :lol: (Or a ten-to-twenty-page-long story (in English, with plenty of swearwords in it) called "TIF" that my uncle once wrote, in another way)

The last thing you read with a lot of obscenities in it.

Return to “Literature”