The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The last thing you read

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-20, 4:02

Rachel vakaciója (Hungarian translation of Rachel's holidays) by Marian Keyes. It's about addiction and it does provide a huge help to me. I found a second-hand copy in Budapest and love it in Hungarian too. The author having been an addict herself, it is very, very accurate.

The last thing you read featuring a drug or alcohol addict.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-20, 15:28

A brief history of seven killings by Marlon James. It deals with the takeover of cocaine trafficking by Jamaican gangs in the 80s so there are a number of drug addicts in the cast of characters.

The last thing you read that described an invented entity so realistically that you had to look up whether it really existed or not.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-21, 9:01

"Anybody out there", Marian Keyes. She describes a cosmetic factory so well I had to look up whether "Candy Grrrrrrl" did actually exist or not :shock:

The last thing you read that defended the rights of women.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-22, 0:35

I suppose The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver defends women's rights in some way, but if that doesn't count, then probably Et dukkehjem by Henrik Ibsen along with two translations of it into English. One was by Peter Watts. I don't remember who the other translator was, but that version was in my English literature(?) textbook in high school.

The last thing you read, in whole or in part, with the intention of improving your foreign language skills.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-22, 1:42

German instagramers.

The last thing you read to talk about it with your father.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-08-28, 15:47

Osias wrote:The last thing you read to talk about it with your father.

Specifically with my father? That would probably be 1421: the year China discovered America. It's a terrible book, badly written and badly researched ("researched" is hardly even the word given how amateurishly Menzies goes about it) that he unaccountably found plausible. So I read the damn thing just so I could debunk it to him. (His wife thanked me.)

The last thing you read that was on your list of books to read before you die.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-08-28, 16:09

I don't have such list. But if I have I would put the Perry Rhodan series there, I think. The last one I read was the episode 200, I believe (I read out of [the] order).

The last thing you read to decide if you could give as a gift.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-04, 4:16

Osias wrote:(I read them out of [the] order).

The last thing you read to decide if you could give as a gift.

I've never read a book cover to cover just to decide whether I should give it away as a gift or not, if that's what you mean. The only books I've ever read at all with the intention of giving them away are A History of the Arab Peoples by Albert Hourani and Indian Astrology by Komilla Sutton, both at the same time and for the same person. IIRC, I wanted to give my 8th grade US history teacher the first one for his birthday (he was a really good teacher!), and my dad thought we should give him the second one instead. In the end, I was so indecisive that I ended up giving him nothing, keeping both, and never reading either book.

The last thing you read with the intention of learning something from it.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-04, 10:25

Everything.

The last thing you read that made you want to nuke the country where the story is set.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-10, 6:02

Nothing?

The last thing you read electronically.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-10, 15:21

O Castelo de Vidro by Jeannette Walls.

The last thing you read set in France.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-10, 15:25

Le village de l'Allemand by Boualem Sansal. It's only partly set in France, though so far the only sequence set elsewhere is one of the protagonist's visit to his ancestral village in Algeria. (His father is "l'Allemand" of the title.)

The last thing you read in German, set in Germany, or featuring Germans that had nothing at all to do with WWII.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-09-10, 15:41

Some of Grimm's fairy tales.

Though my copy of Grimms Märchen was printed in Germany in 1941, so if that doesn't count the answer Krabat by Otfried Preußler.

The last thing you read that featured magic.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-10, 15:53

Yakshi by Malayattoor Ramakrishnan

The last set of song lyrics you read.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-10, 16:06

I was looking for lyrics over the weekend to songs by Vanta and Radio Luxembourg/Race Horse but never found them. So it was probably "Goleuadau Llundain" by Daniel Lloyd a Mr Pinc.

The last thing you read that gave you an earworm.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-09-10, 17:02

Maybe Malakal by E. M. Kovoor.

The last thing you read that made you laugh.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-09-12, 10:06

A specification someone wrote - full of mistakes... After a while it becomes comic 8-)

The last thing you read featuring some food or drink that made you curious to eat or cook.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-12, 11:25

Naan in The Kite Runner.

The last thing you read featuring the president of your country.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-09-12, 14:23

Er ist wieder da by Timur Vermes.

The last thing you read with full-page illustrations.

Osias

Postby Osias » 2018-09-12, 15:44

I can't remember now. Maybe something by Alex Ross like Superman: Peace on Earth, but it was twenty years ago. I must have read something else like that more recently.

The last thing you read featuring the last something, like the last samurai, the last jedi or the last candle maker.

Return to “Literature”