The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator
Re: The last thing you read

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-15, 8:52

Naava wrote:I'm tempted by this because I've already read 6 of the novels, so now I would only need to read two theory books and I'd be ready for the exam... :mrgreen:

Wait, do they seriously offer The Handmaid's Tale in that list? :shock: Hey go for it!
Especially if you've already read 6 of the novels!
(I have personnaly read Vingt mille lieues sous les mers, Brave New World and Nineteen Eighty-Four - as classical, must-read litterature).
That is funny - I never sought the original name of "Brave new world" - in French is it "Le meilleur des mondes" (The best of the worlds litteraly) - I think this is quite different and gives a different feeling to the book...
For example in French the title implies great irony - as this kind of world is far from being the best because it kinds of regulates human lives just on one way...
You may also like in this same category "Et on tuera tous les affreux" by Boris Vian (I dunno if there has been an English translation?) :hmm: which is by far my favourite novel from Boris Vian - in this novel, they create a "higher quality" group of humans, choosing genetically "handsome people" to reproduce together... And in the end "supposedly" handsome people cannot bear beauty anymore and crave for ugliness :D
I love it!

This is so fine! Makes me wanderlust to go back to University! :D but not for the French part - for the English part maybe (I also thought that when I started to read Oliver Twist in olde English) :mrgreen:

vijayjohn wrote:The last thing you read with a lot of obscenities in it.

Not proud to say but that'd be one of my novels - in book #8 I wrote 3 hot lesbian scenes :oops: :oops: But does that count as obscenities? There's no rude word or anything... Just sex :mrgreen:

The last thing you read featuring lesbians.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-18, 6:38

Honestly, the closest thing to that I can think of is Maya Angelou's autobiography I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.

The last thing you read mentioning or referencing a caste system.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-20, 4:57

That must be 1984... I guess :hmm:

The last thing you read that made you shed real tears.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-06-20, 10:32

The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

The last alternate history novel you read.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-24, 21:42

I guess A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain, though I really only skimmed through a kids' version.

The last thing you read about a child growing up.
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-06-24, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-24, 22:58

Probably The Boy Who Harnessed The Wind.

The last thing you read where the main character is a woman.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2018-06-25, 2:00

Marusia by Vasyl Shkliar, a novel based on actual historic events in Central Ukraine in 1919 where a young woman was in charge of a military unit.

The last thing you read involving a religious conflict.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-25, 8:06

That's the one I'm currently writing! :mrgreen: People who have been "forgotten" and left on Earth have created a new religion and intend to force it upon people who have successfully moved to another planet.
So the title will be "Every planet we reach is dead" (yes, I like Gorillaz and I like to put song titles to my books, given my lack of inspiration for titles) :silly:

The last thing you read as a proof-reader.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-06-25, 15:11

france-eesti wrote:(yes, I like Gorillaz and I like to put song titles to my booksgive my books song titles, given my lack of inspiration for titles)

The last thing you read as a proof-reader.

Or "The last thing you proofread."

Tough one. The last thing I remember proofreading is my father's memoirs, but I must have worked on something else since then. (I take it you don't mean my own work, because I reread every single thing I post for errors and poor style.)

The last thing you read where an elephant died.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-25, 18:13

Tintin au Congo, by Hergé... Not his best, though.

The last thing you read featuring someone playing the saxophone.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 20:00

A short story in Burmese (with incomplete audio) called မလဲ့လက်ကောက် (Ma Le's Bracelets) by Win Pe, translated into English by Patrick McCormick
france-eesti wrote:Tintin au Congo, by Hergé... Not his best, though.

I didn't even know that existed until you mentioned it even though I'm familiar with almost all the other Tintin issues.

The last thing you read while listening to a recording of it at the same time.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-06-26, 10:13

Which didn't you know that existed? Tintin au Congo or something else?
Well Tintin au Congo is the first episode, after "Tintin au pays des Soviets" - though both are not considered to be in the same "shape" as the other Tintin-s :) Both are said to be anti-communist, and Tintin au Congo is kind of colonialist (I dunno if those words actually exist) :mrgreen:

The last thing you read while listening to a recording of it at the same time.

Does it work if it's a music sheet? Then it's The Clarinet Sonata Op. 167 by Saint Saëns. I chose it for my clarinet exam and am studying it (a lot) :partyhat:

The last thing you read involving a putsch.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-27, 6:33

france-eesti wrote:Which didn't you know that existed? Tintin au Congo or something else?

Tintin au Congo.
Well Tintin au Congo is the first episode, after "Tintin au pays des Soviets" - though both are not considered to be in the same "shape" as the other Tintin-s :) Both are said to be anti-communist, and Tintin au Congo is kind of colonialist (I dunno if those words actually exist) :mrgreen:

Yes, they do. One American reviewer also considers both of those his worst work ever. This is probably why I had no idea they existed. On the back of every Tintin book I have ever seen in English, you will find the covers of all the Tintin books except those two and Tintin et L'alph-art.
Does it work if it's a music sheet? Then it's The Clarinet Sonata Op. 167 by Saint Saëns. I chose it for my clarinet exam and am studying it (a lot) :partyhat:

Touché. (I.e. yes!)
The last thing you read involving a putsch.

Hmm, maybe Pithaamahan by VKN? It's been so long since I've read some of my Malayalam novels that I've now forgotten parts of the plot...I guess actually it doesn't involve a putsch.

In that case, I guess it would be America's Response to China: A History of Sino-American Relations by Warren I. Cohen.

The last thing you read that taught you something new.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-07-03, 9:37

Bridget Jones - the edge or reason by Helen Fielding => taught me Lady Di loved chocolate :mrgreen:
(not sure this is true however).

The last thing you read and stopped for a minute to read aloud a sentence to someone sitting next to you.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-07-05, 3:31

Probably "Lunch" by VKN, which is also a story I'm thinking of trying to translate into English on UL!

The last thing you fell asleep trying to read.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-18, 18:36

A comic called "Super Dupont" - that's a very chauvinist French who cannot bear any alteration in French culture or language :mrgreen:

The last thing you read eating something meanwhile.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-08-19, 15:55

A very moving autobiographical graphic novel called Lighter Than My Shadow. I do realise the irony of eating cake while reading about a girl suffering from anorexia.

The last thing you read that you couldn't put down.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-08-19, 16:00

I found it in a book box in my city - a brother's journey - while my daughter was at the playing ground (they put book boxes for bored parents - you pick one book, read it and put it back again when you've finished it). It's a story about abused kids :roll: :cry: it's horrible but still unputdownable... :|

The last thing you wrote, read again and re-wrote until you were satisfied of it.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-08-19, 16:23

Every time that I have to write something in Arabic :roll:

The last book you read about politics.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-08-19, 19:24

Depends on what counts as "reading" and what kinds of books count as being "about politics." Do my grandfather's World War II memoirs count as being about politics? If not, then the last one I read about half of was Same Bed, Different Dreams by David M. Lampton. The last one I read almost all (i.e. all but one chapter) of was The Great Wall and the Empty Fortress by Andrew J. Nathan and Robert S. Ross. The last one I read cover to cover was America's Response to China by Warren I. Cohen.
france-eesti wrote:The last thing you read while eating something meanwhile.

The last thing you reread part of.

Return to “Literature”