The last thing you read

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Re: The last thing you read

Postby linguoboy » 2020-01-07, 15:56

I guess it would be Didion's The year of magical thinking, since grief is considered a mental illness by our society.

The last achronological narrative you read.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Osias

Postby Osias » 2020-01-07, 23:35

The last thing you read about (an) illness(es).

I've read something about HIV destroying the defense gave to you by the smallpox vaccine and started to wonder if that diesese could return. Is the virus "alive" somewhere in some organism?

The last achronological narrative you read.

A Twitter thread I read backwards.

The last thing you read with lots of code switching.
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2020-01-12, 7:32

That would be the last thing I read in Malayalam. That was probably an article in the Onam issue of Mathrubhumi where the writer was talking about a personal (near-death IIRC) experience with asthma. I think it was called ഭീകരസൗന്ദര്യമുള്ള ഒരു രാത്രി അഥവാ സ്റ്റാറ്റസ് ആസ്ത്മാറ്റിക്കസ് [ˈbʱiːgəɾəsawn̪d̪əɾjəmʊɭɭa oˈɾu ˈɾaːt̪ri jət̪ʰəˈʋaː ˈstæːtəs æːst̪ɨˈmæːtɪkəs] 'A Terribly Beautiful Night a.k.a. Status Asthmaticus'. I don't remember the author's name.

The last thing you read but were interrupted by a phone call or text while reading it.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-05-23, 14:37

An ad for a second-hand sofa (I'm renewing my living-room furniture) :D

The last thing you read at someone's house.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2020-05-23, 15:10

Earlier this year, my siblings and I gathered at our parents' house to sort through some old documents of my father's. He had saved lots of letters, both ones he had written and ones others--including us--had written to him. One of the things he'd saved was a card I'd given him on his 50th birthday. (I'll be 50 this year.)

The last thing you read that was written or published before you were born.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

TheStrayCat
Language Forum Moderator

Postby TheStrayCat » 2020-05-23, 21:06

Among the books I have read cover to cover, that would probably be Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. After that I also read a few chapters of The Wisdom of Insecurity by Alan Watts, but I haven't finished it yet so it probably doesn't count.

The last thing you read that made you felt deeply confused.

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2020-08-27, 6:41

One message from the digital project manager asking me to test something but I really didn't understand his point :doggy:

The last thing you read that featured a woman motorbiker.
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-02-07, 7:05

The closest thing I can think of is the lyrics to the song "En sortant du lycée" in my brother's second-year French textbook because one of the accompanying illustrations shows her riding a motorbike with a boy. :lol:

The last thing you read before reading no (other) books for at least a year.

Return to “Literature”