Page 2 of 3

Guess

Posted: 2004-10-08, 12:08
by aelred
I was the guess above! :roll:

Posted: 2004-10-08, 14:16
by proycon
In the past weeks, I finished:

Story about a boy - Edmund White Nice writing style, but sometimes it's a bit hard to keep focussed.

De dagen van de blugrassliefde (1999), Edward van der Vendel See description by Frank74.

I'm using this thread to pick my next book :)
I now just got "Kartonnen Dozen" :)

Posted: 2004-10-10, 22:43
by frank74
I remember I have a really funny Dutch children's book.

Jaap de Vries- "Halewijntje en de struikrovers" (Querido, 1998)
(In het kader van de kinderboekenweek :))
Halewijntje droomt van een prins op het witte paard. En haar broer droomt van hetzelfde. Op een dag komt ridder Jorick langs op een wit paard, die er tot Halewijntjes spijt met de broer vandoor gaat. De echte prins is ondertussen door de struikrovers ontvoert, en Halewijntje wordt door de heks gevangen gehouden. Zal Halewijntje ooit haar prins vinden?
Een erg leuk boekje met bijzonder grappige tekeningen.

Posted: 2004-10-11, 7:03
by aelred
frank74 wrote:I remember I have a really funny Dutch children's book.

Jaap de Vries- "Halewijntje en de struikrovers" (Querido, 1998)
(In het kader van de kinderboekenweek :))
Halewijntje droomt van een prins op het witte paard. En haar broer droomt van hetzelfde. Op een dag komt ridder Jorick langs op een wit paard, die er tot Halewijntjes spijt met de broer vandoor gaat. De echte prins is ondertussen door de struikrovers ontvoert, en Halewijntje wordt door de heks gevangen gehouden. Zal Halewijntje ooit haar prins vinden?
Een erg leuk boekje met bijzonder grappige tekeningen.


Dutch is too much for me :roll:

Posted: 2004-10-11, 16:49
by proycon
I just finished the flemish book "Kartonnen Dozen" by "Tom Lanoye", as recommended by LCommi... This really was a great book!! It's very well written and fascinating! Many parts are also recognizable :)

A real book to be recommended for those who can read dutch!

More recommendations are always welcome :) Especially non-english/non-dutch :)

Posted: 2004-10-11, 22:21
by aelred
proycon wrote:More recommendations are always welcome :) Especially non-english/non-dutch :)


I'm reading "Middlesex" by J. Eugenides and until now it's ok.
I strong recommend you "Flesh and blood" by Michael Cunningham. I loved this novel

Posted: 2004-10-12, 13:50
by Kyr
Well, this is not exactly a "gay book" but I would like to recommend the <a href="http://www.ntsearch.com/search.php?q=poetry&v=56">poetry</a> of Constantine Cavafy (or Kavafis), who is regarded as the best greek poet of 20th century. Some of his poems are about homosexual affairs.

Some links:

http://www.armory.com/~thrace/ev/siir/cavafy.html

http://users.hol.gr/~barbanis/cavafy/index.html

les memoires d'hadrien

Posted: 2004-10-14, 16:59
by LWL
Hello - could anybody please give me some explication of the relationship between Hadrien and Antinous in 'Les Memoires d'Hadrien', whether in english or french - Much appreciated.

Posted: 2004-10-21, 7:41
by Emandir
LWL a écrit :
Hello - could anybody please give me some explication of the relationship between Hadrien and Antinous in 'Les Memoires d'Hadrien', whether in english or french - Much appreciated.

Eh bien, it seems that they were clearly lovers... Antinoüs était le favori d'Hadrien, c'est historiquement attesté et non une invention romanesque de Yourcenar...

Jean-Luc

Posted: 2005-01-05, 0:51
by Brunette
[quote="aelred"]
I'm reading "Middlesex" by J. Eugenides and until now it's ok.

:) It is one of my favourites books! I think it is very light to read this one :) And it reminded me about "100 years of loneliness"..

And I like Jeanette Winterson, too. Especially "Written On The Body" and "The.Powerbook". I think she is the best lesbian author.
Unfortunately, I read Winterson's books just in Russian. So, I think many features were losing in translation...But in sprite of this, I think that Winterson's prose is very touching and sensual...very lively... And she is showing the most beautiful sex between women!

So, I would like to read it in origin :)

homosesuality

Posted: 2005-01-05, 16:44
by rfcompte
Hi,
I highly recommend Les Memoirs d'Hadrien. It is an excellent book. I remember it as an inspiring and fascinating one. It is not only about the relationship between Hadrien and Antinoos, in fact that is only one of the chapters. That, I think, is one of the good things about the book: Hadrien's homosexuality falls into place in a completely natural way, not only because of the different perspective that this men had, but also because it is in context in the much more complex life of the Roman Emperor-Philosopher. The book really touched me. It's very human.
Alexis ou le traité du vain combat is more specifict about the psychology of a homosexual pianist who lived in the time between the 1st and 2nd World Wars. Also great, I have to confess that I approached M. Yourcenar's literature thinking that is was something completely different. I read somewhere that she was a Simone de Beauvoir type of writer, only to find out something different in a good way.

I recommend also the famous story of Gustav von Aschenbach: Der Tod in Venedig by Thommas Mann. Highly poetic description of the crush that a old man experiences for a teenage polish boy. It has been taken to film. It treats the topic of homosexuality in a Platonic fashion, which I find really interesting, worth-discussing.

wwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwwwwww

Posted: 2005-01-05, 16:50
by rfcompte
Samariya wrote:I'm attending a very strict religious school and they don't let us read books like that, for which I'm very thankful. I only read 'turks fruit' from jan wolkers once bye myself and it really harmed my soul :?. I'm glad I don't have to read such books.


What is going on here???
Why do we have to read this kind of posts??

I THOUGHT THAT WE IN UNILANG WERE OPEN-MINDED. THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY!!!

I want to add that gay literature is not only for gay people. If it is good and universal it loses much putting a label on it!!

Rafael

Re: wwwwwwwwooooooooooooowwwwwwwww

Posted: 2005-01-08, 9:30
by ReadHarvest
rfcompte wrote:
Samariya wrote:I'm attending a very strict religious school and they don't let us read books like that, for which I'm very thankful. I only read 'turks fruit' from jan wolkers once bye myself and it really harmed my soul :?. I'm glad I don't have to read such books.


What is going on here???
Why do we have to read this kind of posts??

I THOUGHT THAT WE IN UNILANG WERE OPEN-MINDED. THAT'S WHAT I LIKE ABOUT THE COMMUNITY!!!

I want to add that gay literature is not only for gay people. If it is good and universal it loses much putting a label on it!!

Rafael

Considering the thread title, the poster probably should have avoided entering it, but for some reason he/she decided it was worth checking out. I think the comments were brief, civil, and presumably honest feelings. They did not attack or condemn anyone and they do not warrant an offhand dismissal from a truly "open-minded" forum.

Posted: 2005-01-09, 4:47
by rfcompte
Yes, you are right! I think I overreacted!
Sorry!

R.

Posted: 2005-02-16, 12:20
by proycon
I just finished reading another novel, 400 pages (in german) about a 17-year boy. I can highly recommend this to those who like reading psychological novels:

Die Mitte der Welt - Andreas Steinhöfel

Ein Geschichte des Lebens eines schwules Jungens, der in einem großen Haus mit eigenartige Mutter und Schwester wohnt.

Posted: 2005-02-23, 5:09
by Le Serpent Rouge
"Rubyfruit Jungle" by Rita Mae Brown; in the lesbian category. It's not a classic or anything but it's interesting and definitely entertaining.

"Henry and June" by Anaïs Nin. Not a 'gay book' per se, but the theme surrounds sexual desire and exploration. It's just awesome. I love all her stuff.

And finally, "Killer on the Road" by James Ellroy. While not about being gay or anything, sexuality and homoeroticism are integral plot elements. Just read all his stuff, he's damn good.

Posted: 2005-02-26, 11:22
by proycon
I've recommended some french gay books earlier in this topic..

Posted: 2005-03-02, 19:40
by proycon
I just finished another great book:

The same embrace - Michael Lowenthal

About a gay man (24) from a jewish family, reconciliating with his twin brother, who is an orthodox jew.

Re: Gay books

Posted: 2014-12-30, 20:34
by vijayjohn
I once accidentally bought a gay romance novel in Czech called Andĕlé spásy. I still have it, but I doubt very much that I'm ever going to read it. Maybe I should give it back (if that's possible), although I wouldn't mind giving it away to anybody who's interested either. :lol:

Re: Gay books

Posted: 2015-01-03, 7:46
by Koko
vijayjohn wrote:I once accidentally bought a gay romance novel in Czech called Andĕlé spásy. I still have it, but I doubt very much that I'm ever going to read it. Maybe I should give it back (if that's possible), although I wouldn't mind giving it away to anybody who's interested either. :lol:

Lol, i'm desperate enough to read a Czech novel that I would have you mail it to me. I'm not much for romance novels but it'd probably be an interesting way to get intro'd to Czech literature. It would take forever for me to get to that level in Czech, but it is motivation: I can't just have a book lying around and never have read it.

The title sounds fun: "An Angel's Redemption" if wordreference serves me well.