What are you currently reading? (part 2)

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator: Forum Administrators

oho

Re: What are you currently reading? (part 2)

Postby oho » 2021-02-02, 16:35

Atomic Habits by James Clear.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2021-02-02, 17:01

Chocolat by Joanne Harris

Totally different than what I expected. I thought it was Canadian, to begin with.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and baby signs
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, French, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2021-02-02, 17:35

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Nice, that's going on my reading list, thanks! Of his political books, I've only read Losing the Race (2000) and Winning the Race (2005). I can recommend Losing the Race quite highly, it's not too long a book (Winning the Race is a bit longer) and it sums up his main points quite well. Aside from making an argument relevant to the present-day right-left culture war, it's also just an interesting insight into Black America, which wasn't a topic I was particularly familiar with.

You're welcome and thanks back!

I don't know if you know Goodreads, but maybe you want to join (if you aren't a member already) and add some former and current UL members?

I haven't posted about any books I read recently in ages, so I might as well mention The History Book: Big Ideas Simply Explained. I really like the series, I've already read some of them by now and, while not all are equally good, they explain a lot in short chapters.
Please correct my mistakes!

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-02, 17:54

I can't seem to focus on one thing. I'm still ostensibly reading Y pla though I haven't been able to punch through this particular chapter for days. To help me understand the background, I started reading John Davies A history of Wales, but, as interesting as it is, I'm not sure I'm committed to reading all thousand pages or so. (I'm currently just before the discovery of the Gunpowder Plot.) Meanwhile, I picked up Laxness' Sjálfstætt fólk (Independent people in Thompson's English translation) again, which I left off reading a couple of years ago for reasons that are no longer clear since the writing is absolutely brilliant.

Planning ahead, I usually get a yen to read some East Asian fiction around the time of the Lunar New Year so I've already preselected some titles from my to-read shelves. I'd like to finish at least one of these books before starting yet another however.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-02-03, 15:19

I've returned to 兄弟 (Brothers) by Yu Hua after a long hiatus. It's a somewhat lengthy book (646 pages) and I simply ran out of steam after finishing the first of its two parts several years ago.

I'm also reading The Underground Railroad by Colson Whitehead, a novel which imagines that the titular network for fugitive slaves was an actual railroad.

linguoboy wrote:To help me understand the background, I started reading John Davies A history of Wales, but, as interesting as it is, I'm not sure I'm committed to reading all thousand pages or so.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn this book was originally written in Welsh.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-02-03, 16:12

Car wrote:
Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:Nice, that's going on my reading list, thanks! Of his political books, I've only read Losing the Race (2000) and Winning the Race (2005). I can recommend Losing the Race quite highly, it's not too long a book (Winning the Race is a bit longer) and it sums up his main points quite well. Aside from making an argument relevant to the present-day right-left culture war, it's also just an interesting insight into Black America, which wasn't a topic I was particularly familiar with.

You're welcome and thanks back!

I don't know if you know Goodreads, but maybe you want to join (if you aren't a member already) and add some former and current UL members?

I had heard of it, but never used it. I've just set up a profile there now, I'll go post it on that thread :)
(pt-br)(ga)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-02-03, 16:47

Yasna wrote:I've returned to 兄弟 (Brothers) by Yu Hua after a long hiatus.

I read a bit of that (in translation) to get a since of whether it was something I wanted to tackle. I was undecided, so I figured it could wait.

Yasna wrote:
linguoboy wrote:To help me understand the background, I started reading John Davies A history of Wales, but, as interesting as it is, I'm not sure I'm committed to reading all thousand pages or so.

I was pleasantly surprised to learn this book was originally written in Welsh.

So was I! Sometimes when I'm reading a passage, I'll try to imagine how it was phrased in the original. Maybe someday I'll actually find out.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2021-02-03, 17:32

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:I had heard of it, but never used it. I've just set up a profile there now, I'll go post it on that thread :)

I've added you there. :)
Please correct my mistakes!

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-02-05, 15:43

linguoboy wrote:I read a bit of that (in translation) to get a since of whether it was something I wanted to tackle. I was undecided, so I figured it could wait.

I'm about two thirds through it and can report that although the book does not aspire to any great heights, it is dripping with humanity and humor. Although some of the humor is unlikely to translate well, like this ridiculous (in a good way) episode one of the characters just recounted based on a pun of 酒吧 and 98.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Return to “Literature”