Gabriel Gárcia Márquez, RIP

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

linguoboy
Gabriel Gárcia Márquez, RIP

Postby linguoboy » 2014-04-17, 20:31

http://www.lavanguardia.com/cultura/20140417/54405916916/gabriel-garcia-marquez.html

I haven't read much by him, only Cien años de soledad [in English], Viver para contarlo, several short stories, and part of La hojarasca. But what I have read I've enjoyed and I've always planned to read more. (I own copies of El amor en el tiempo de cólera--which my brother didn't believe was a real title--El general en su labirinto, and the Fortieth Anniversary edition of Cien años, which I highly recommend even to those who have already read the novel.)

¿Qué piensáis de Gabo? Are you interested in reading his posthumous novel?
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: Gabriel Gárcia Márquez, RIP

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-04-18, 22:58

I think I've read less by him - only parts of Cien años de soledad (but in Spanish since it was in Spanish class), along with Crónica de una muerte anunciada in English (since we had to read that in English class), and probably a few other short stories I'm forgetting the titles of now. (I'm terrible at reading novels for fun). I also had to read the short story "Un señor muy viejo con unas alas enormes," first in English for English class, then again in Spanish for Spanish class just two years later. That was my first exposure to Márquez.

That's all I remember reading, but I enjoyed what little I did, too. (Crónica de una muerte anunciada maybe not so much, TBH, but I'm sure I would've enjoyed it more if I could've just read it in the original). I'd say those were some of my favorite Spanish literary works (there aren't all that many), and I think he was a great writer.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2014-04-19, 10:43

I've only read two short books by him: Crónica de una muerte anunciada (in Spanish) and El coronel no tiene quien le escriba (in Portuguese). I definitely have to read Cien Años de Soledad one of these days...
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2014-04-19, 12:54

Luís wrote:I definitely have to read Cien Años de Soledad one of these days...

Same here. I actually gave the sample a go, but the dictionary I had at the time sucked, so I didn't understand enough. My mother has it in German, so I could always read the translation, but I'd prefer the original. He has been on my want to read list for quite some time.
Please correct my mistakes!

Return to “Literature”