Your own works

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Yserenhart
Your own works

Postby Yserenhart » 2014-03-01, 21:35

I know there are a number of people here who write their own things, everything from short stories and poetry to novels and academic things. Some people have published works, others are thinking of it, and some just write for the fun of it, but why not have a place to share our own creations, discuss them, and even ask for help if it's needed?

So here we go, a thread for talking about your own works and writings.

Translations of your own works are also permitted.
Native: Derbyshire English (en-GB)/New Zealand English (en-NZ) Learning: Vlaams (nl-BE)

IpseDixit

Re: Your own works

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-03-02, 22:52

I'm trying to write a short story set in a utopic world. The problem is that, since it's a utopia, hence a perfect world, it's not easy at all to develop a gripping storyline :|

Lada

Postby Lada » 2014-03-03, 9:17

I started to write a novel and it's going to be a commercial fiction placed in our time. I even made a psychological portrait of the audience I'm writing for, that's office workers, mainly women. I have a mentor whom I found through writing courses. I hope this book will be "international", I mean, it can be translated in any language and can be understood in any country that has office workers. I don't want to concentrate on Moscow or Russia, though everything happens there, but to concentrate more on inner world of the main characters :)

razlem

Postby razlem » 2014-03-06, 15:40

Minus linguistic research articles, I'm writing a grammar for my conlang Angos, which I hope to be published and distributed within the next week.

I'm also writing a dream journal of sorts. It's a Wordpress blog that I update weekly:
http://ephemerical.wordpress.com/
American English (en-us)::German (de)::Standard Spanish (es) Swedish (sv) Mandarin (zh)::Choctaw (cho) Finnish (fi) Irish (ir) Arabic (ar)
Image wia wi nehas-kolwatos lae angos! Check out my IAL Angos
Image Contributor to the Houma Language Project
I have a YouTube channel! I talk about languages and stuff: Ben DuMonde

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2014-03-06, 22:47

I've published two poems collections at les Editions du Net that you can find on Amazon, and there will be more in the future.
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

Lada

Postby Lada » 2014-04-30, 8:41

Thanks to JuxtapositionQMan, who editied the translation of my fairy-tale, you can read it now:

http://stopka-knig.blogspot.ru/

Any comments are appreciated. :)

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2014-05-02, 11:52

Lada wrote:Thanks to JuxtapositionQMan, who editied the translation of my fairy-tale, you can read it now:

A nice little story. :) It had that kind of absurdism that I enjoy and I chuckled in my head a few times at how the sentences surprised me. (I bet the effect is even better in the original Russian!)

The moral/lesson of the story was interesting, too.

Lada

Postby Lada » 2014-05-03, 17:50

Varislintu wrote:
Lada wrote:Thanks to JuxtapositionQMan, who editied the translation of my fairy-tale, you can read it now:

A nice little story. :) It had that kind of absurdism that I enjoy and I chuckled in my head a few times at how the sentences surprised me. (I bet the effect is even better in the original Russian!)

The moral/lesson of the story was interesting, too.

Thank you very much for the feedback :D It's important for me to know that I could render the absurdism at least :)
The effect in the original is better, when I read the story for the audience, people laughed out loud. That's why only native speakers (the only exception is Nabokov afaik) translate foreign works. My attempt is quite mediocre I'd say, but anyway it was a nice challange :)

הענט

Postby הענט » 2014-10-09, 16:58

I write short stories occasionally, but exclusively in Czech, because I can fully unveil my potential, which is impossible at around 15 thousand words of English floating somewhere in my head. :)

Koko

Postby Koko » 2014-11-29, 17:24

IpseDixit wrote:I'm trying to write a short story set in a utopic world. The problem is that, since it's a utopia, hence a perfect world, it's not easy at all to develop a gripping storyline :|

I know this is way long (Wei Long) ago, but why not make a character a defect in the utopian system — an imperfect baby? This child grows up with a new utopia in mind, and they attempt to make it a reality. Battles could then be waged, fire and anarchy set loose to destroy the once perfect world. I'd be interested in that :) . Or, the story could end up being very dark and sinister. This child, he becomes angry at the world for making him imperfect! How come he should be imperfect, when around him nothing is like him! So he decides to make imperfects. Mutating the newborns into monsters even worse than him. Using the dead bodies, he creates life (like Dr. Frankenstein!). These imperfects make hell out of this utopia. I have an ending in mind, but maybe you want different, or someone here would be interested and doesn't want the ending spoiled.

voron
Language Forum Moderator

Postby voron » 2014-12-26, 13:32

Lada wrote: That's why only native speakers (the only exception is Nabokov afaik) translate foreign works.

This guy is a prominent English writer despite not being a native speaker of English:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Conrad

I bet there is a handful of other examples.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-17, 0:00

You know what, I've actually written quite a few things before. Not in several years, though. They're mostly really silly. I typed up a whole novel when I was growing up, and my dad put it up on a website, but the website went dead after a while, and he never backed up the files on that computer, so that novel is gone forever. :| Oh, well, what can you do. I wonder whether I can find anything that I wouldn't feel too embarrassed to share. :lol:

EDIT: Oh, and I know lots of Indian stories. :) So I thought maybe I could post my own retellings of those stories here. :twisted: But I dunno. :lol:

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2015-11-25, 19:04

I write poetry in Finnish fairly often, though the majority never meets the public eye. The exceptions are here: http://rakkausrunot.fi/runoilijat/suruvaippa
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-12-06, 8:14

I just realized that I never mentioned on this thread that I once wrote a four-scene play in French and submitted it for a competition! It didn't do so well. :P It's called "La Roue et le Nid" (The Wheel and the Nest) and is about a Romani family in France. I was in high school at the time, and there are lots of pretty embarrassing cultural inaccuracies in it (certainly regarding the Romani characters...) in addition to just really dumb mistakes (like never being able to decide how to spell the name of the very first character in the list (of characters)), but oh well, here it is anyway! (It used to be available on the web, too, but I don't really remember the URL now, and it may not be up there anymore in any case. I'm also not sure whether this was the final draft or not; I never changed the plot, though):
► Show Spoiler

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-01-12, 20:21

Is this about writing ? :D

Then I wrote a 10 book saga in French, had them published by a free publisher but then unpublished them because the books were very expensive.
So now I'm self-published on lulu.com and it's awesome :D
Then I wrote another book taking place just after the Wall fell :D

I just ended a trilogy in English taking place in Europe but mostly in Southern France and in Estonia. Self published too because in France no one will publish English books.

And I am currently working on a comic sci-fi book in French. Just for myself :D

It's impossible to enter the editorial mafia in France thus I sell books by self-publishing and some people finished the saga, some have read a lot of them too ! But I keep my fingers crossed. As for the English trilogy, it's even harder... French people won't read in English. :cry:

Let's wish all of us good luck :D
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-12, 21:23

That's really impressive! :shock: And here I was thinking maybe someday I'd manage to publish one book online or something. :lol:

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-01-12, 21:25

thanks you :D publishing online is easy (with Lulu it roughly takes 10 minutes).
Writing and above all BEING READ, now this is tricky (and this actually is my fight) :rotfl:

Maybe some day... :whistle: :partyhat:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2016-01-12, 22:24

I'd try reading them myself if I wasn't so slow at reading stuff these days. :para: But may I ask where we can see these publications anyway? :)

suruvaippa

Postby suruvaippa » 2016-01-12, 23:36

france-eesti wrote:...had them published by a free publisher but then unpublished them because the books were very expensive.

If these "free publishers" in France are anything like the ones in the US (PublishAmerica/America Star Books, I'm looking at you especially :n:), I can see why that didn't work out.
(en-us) native, (fi) advanced, (smi-sme) (smi-sms) (et) working on, (lt) (es) forgetting
(smi-sma) (liv) (ka) (eu) (nv) (ru) (sw) eventually...

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2016-01-14, 18:04

suruvaippa wrote: I'm looking at you especially :n:).

what does that mean ? :para:

Return to “Literature”