www.goodreads.com

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Vortarulo
www.goodreads.com

Postby Vortarulo » 2008-06-14, 13:54

This is not a spam message, I'm actually wondering if anyone of you know http://www.goodreads.com — a website where you can register the books you own and/or have read. You can give them stars and write comments for each and every book and of course you can add new books.

I registered all my books there by now. Almost 500 books, more than half of them dictionaries. ;)

Dictionaries, grammars, language books, I created "shelves" for each of them. Maybe you're interested too? Please share your profile's link, if you have a goodreads account too!

That's me: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/655975
My dictionaries: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/65 ... ctionaries
My books on linguistics: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/65 ... inguistics
My Esperanto books: http://www.goodreads.com/review/list/65 ... =esperanto

Greetings,
- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]eo[/flag] [flag]us[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag] ← fluent
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]tlh[/flag] ← intermediate
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

skye

Postby skye » 2008-06-14, 16:14

I have been looking for that site for ages!!!

I found it by chance a couple of months ago, but forgot the name and I couldn't find it again no matter what I typed in google.

Thank you!

Fajro

www.anobii.com

Postby Fajro » 2008-06-15, 8:29

Vortarulo wrote:This is not a spam message, I'm actually wondering if anyone of you know http://www.goodreads.com — a website where you can register the books you own and/or have read. You can give them stars and write comments for each and every book and of course you can add new books.

I prefer aNobii.com because is in 12 languages and the users can translate it to more.

Librarything is more popular and also multilingual, but aNobii is nicier.

:newbie:

Vortarulo

Re: www.anobii.com

Postby Vortarulo » 2008-06-15, 12:25

Fajro wrote:I prefer aNobii.com because is in 12 languages and the users can translate it to more.

Librarything is more popular and also multilingual, but aNobii is nicier.

I had a look at both. Hmm, indeed they seem very good, if not better. Problem is, I already registered 476 books at Goodreads and don't want to do the same again and again for aNobii and/or Librarything. It would be cool if one could export one's shelves... do you know if such a thing is possible?

aNobii looks really good and they seem to have many books: 5 million. I couldn't find out, how many there are on Goodreads, though. Librarything has 28 million or something, but they demand you to pay, so this is not a choice.

I'll try to find out if one can export and import books, then I'll consider moving to aNobii...

Thanks!
- André
[flag]de[/flag] ← native
[flag]eo[/flag] [flag]us[/flag] [flag]zh[/flag] ← fluent
[flag]nl[/flag] [flag]th[/flag] [flag]tlh[/flag] ← intermediate
[flag]fr[/flag] [flag]ddo[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]lo[/flag] ← conversational
...and also a little bit of [flag]la[/flag] [flag]zhc[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]tpi[/flag] [flag]ja[/flag] [flag]bo[/flag] [flag]pl[/flag] [flag]id[/flag] and [flag]art-tkp[/flag]

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-06-20, 8:36

I've always wanted to "join" one of these types of sites, but a) I've been unable to choose one, and b) I know that I'll get all stressed about not remembering all the books I've read because I take books too seriously :P.

If there are any further recommendations by anyone using a site like this, please post :)!

ILuvEire

Postby ILuvEire » 2008-06-20, 17:08

I'd love to join, but I'd probably not update it...It's a lot of work...
[flag]de[/flag] [flag]da[/flag] [flag]fr-qc[/flag] [flag]haw[/flag] [flag]he[/flag] [flag]es[/flag]
Current focus: [flag]ga[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag]
Facebook | tumblr | Twitter
“We need to make books cool again. If you go home with somebody and they don't have books, don't fuck them.” —John Waters

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-06-20, 19:42

Looking at the sites, I've always liked LibraryThing best, so I made an account just to see if it's usable too (you can add 200 books for free).

It seems all right, but they rely on tags for a lot of the functions I was hoping for (sorting nonfic from fic, sorting read from unread and owned from not owned books).

Plus, I have no idea if I even could buy a lifetime unrestricted account (~25 dollars isn't much if the system is good and popular) as I don't have a credit card. I've never paid with PayPal, any experiences on that?

skye

Postby skye » 2008-06-21, 13:22

Varislintu wrote:Looking at the sites, I've always liked LibraryThing best, so I made an account just to see if it's usable too (you can add 200 books for free).

It seems all right, but they rely on tags for a lot of the functions I was hoping for (sorting nonfic from fic, sorting read from unread and owned from not owned books).

Plus, I have no idea if I even could buy a lifetime unrestricted account (~25 dollars isn't much if the system is good and popular) as I don't have a credit card. I've never paid with PayPal, any experiences on that?

I've used paypal twice, but I think you have to add a credit card if you want to use it. It worked fine for me. I only had a few problems after my old card expired, because I didn't know where you have to fill in the info for the new card.

I have this credit card which I use for online shopping only and it has a monthly limit of 100 euros. I never spend that much.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2008-06-21, 14:34

skye wrote:I've used paypal twice, but I think you have to add a credit card if you want to use it.

No, you don't have to. I've never used it, but I heard it works fine, too.
Please correct my mistakes!

Egein

Postby Egein » 2008-06-21, 23:12

(is)(fi)
Nouse pois nokinen poika / nokiselta nuotiolta / havuisilta vuoteilta /pihkaisilta pään aloilta
www.flickr.com/otsebmi

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2008-06-22, 10:05

Car wrote:
skye wrote:I've used paypal twice, but I think you have to add a credit card if you want to use it.

No, you don't have to. I've never used it, but I heard it works fine, too.

Well, typical how the site says one doesn't have to have a PayPal account to pay with PayPal but then the webstore where you purchase the membership says that you pay by either filling in the credit card info or by PayPal login.

I guess I'll have to settle for the bloggish look of goodreads. At least try it out.

Nukalurk

Re: www.goodreads.com

Postby Nukalurk » 2012-12-24, 11:42

You can find me here at Goodreads. Feel free to add me. :)

PS: Only Goodreads members can inspect my GR profile.

bluejay390

Postby bluejay390 » 2012-12-25, 1:08

I love goodreads! Here's my profile.
Goodreads大好きです!これは私のプロフィールです。私もBooklogを使う
Selamat tidur kekasih gelapku♪♫

Bijlee

Postby Bijlee » 2012-12-25, 2:31

Here I am too! I visit every once in a while.

Tenebrarum

Postby Tenebrarum » 2012-12-25, 12:50

Here's me. I don't update much, because I don't read that much anyway, just mostly horror and LGBT stuff my friend loans me. I've been thinking about getting a Kindle since forever, but actually buying one and setting up an account to pay Amazon is too much work. I'm lazy. :P
!Chalice! Communion wafer of the tabernacle

md0

Postby md0 » 2012-12-25, 13:34

^ http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/14921414
I am too lazy to add anything that the Goodreads Android app won't recognise by scanning their barcode, so my ebooks are not listed, most of my manga are not listed, books that don't have ISBN are not listed...
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2012-12-26, 2:54

I haven't heard or seen that site before but it seems good so maybe I will make a profile.
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Zireael

Postby Zireael » 2012-12-29, 10:57

I found Goodreads by accident, and it's excellent, I have 1000 books listed (and 300 of this is the to-read list).

I wish there was a single exhaustive book website, because right now, there are several of them and you often run into the problem Vortarulo mentioned....
Native: [flag=]pl[/flag] Very advanced/near native: [flag=]en-US[/flag]
Intermediate: [flag=]es[/flag]
Beginner [flag=]de[/flag], [flag=]sgn[/flag], [flag=]tpi[/flag], [flag=]en_old[/flag], [flag=]ar[/flag]
Wanderlusting: [flag=]ja[/flag], [flag=]ru[/flag]
Artificial languages: [flag=]art-qya[/flag], [flag=]art-sjn[/flag],
My interest has been drawn by: [flag=]fa[/flag], [flag=]zh[/flag],

Saaropean

Postby Saaropean » 2012-12-29, 14:08

I've added those books I could find easily. I'm sure I've read more than just 109...
http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/15815513-saaropean

extralean

Postby extralean » 2013-01-03, 8:58

I'm a pretty active goodreader and really enjoy it and find it useful, feel free to add me!
I speak : [flag]au[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] - I study : [flag]it[/flag] & [flag]de[/flag]
“Own only what you can always carry with you: know languages, know countries, know people. Let your memory be your travel bag.”― Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn

Return to “Literature”