modern Russian writers?

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

jumichlo
modern Russian writers?

Postby jumichlo » 2002-09-14, 21:52

I have to admit that I don’t know any modern Russian writers, a fact that I would like to change. If I would know where to start! :cry:
Can you recommend some writers? I certainly know the old guys (Pushkin, Dostoyevsky, Gogol and so on) but not one modern one.

Unfortunately as a beginner I’m still not able to read a book in Russian so I just can hope to find German or English translations. :?

Regards,
Mike

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2002-09-15, 18:28

Hey, jumichlo! Have you read the "Your Literatures" thread? I can remember that some articles regarding the modern Russian literature were posted there.

jumichlo

Postby jumichlo » 2002-09-15, 19:00

Ehm, well ... I didn't. :oops:

Thanks,
Mike

sova

Modern Russian writers

Postby sova » 2002-09-23, 11:55

Yes, Mike, read these articles...

Many of these books can be found in English or German translations. And if you have any specific questions related to the choice of the book, you can always contact me.

Privet, Fenek! How are you?
:D

sova

Modern russian writers - useful website

Postby sova » 2002-09-23, 12:54

One more useful website for umichlo:
http://english.russ.ru/krug/

Viel Spass!

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2002-09-25, 16:25

Hi, sova. I'm fine, thanks. I have come back from Italy two hours ago and I am pretty tired though.
Nice to see you post again!

Francy

Postby Francy » 2002-09-25, 19:57

FEEEENEEEKKKUCCCIOOOOO!!!! Ciao stella!!! You never phoned me!!! I waited for your call.... where did you go? What did you do? Did you enjoy yourself? I HOPE SO!!! Welcome back, so much!! I missed you!!!
There are more things in Heaven and Hearth than are dreamt of in your Philosophy...

<b>
www.myspace.com/ushuayia
</b>

Fenek

Postby Fenek » 2002-09-27, 23:04

Francy, carina, I have sent you an email, so as not to mix the modern Russian writers with my impressions from Italy :wink:

irazum13

modern Russian writers

Postby irazum13 » 2002-10-03, 19:48

Hmmm...modern Russian writers...You know, it depends on your preferences, but I strongly recommend you Tatiana Tolstaya, Ludmila Ulitzkaya. You can also look for some novels by Dina Rubina.
And also: Victor Pelevin, Vladimir Sorokin, Dmitry Lipskerov....
If you write me what are you interested in, I'll give you exact names, Ok?
:)
And do you learn Russian?

Best regards, irazum13

modern Russian writers

Postby Guest » 2002-10-03, 19:51

Hmmm...modern Russian writers...You know, it depends on your preferences, but I strongly recommend you Tatiana Tolstaya, Ludmila Ulitzkaya. You can also look for some novels by Dina Rubina.
And also: Victor Pelevin, Vladimir Sorokin, Dmitry Lipskerov....
If you write me what are you interested in, I'll give you exact names, Ok?
:)
And do you learn Russian?

Best regards, irazum13

jumichlo

Postby jumichlo » 2002-10-03, 21:44

Well, I just want to sniff around. It can be easy reading, like funny stories about life in Russia or great stuff like Márquez.
But I guess I need years only to read the writers already mentioned in that forum.

And yes, for some reason I try to learn some Russian but I'm still years away to understand a book. (Presently I try to figure out some stories of Микки Маус"). :oops:

Пока
Mike

irazum13

still the same: modern Russian writers

Postby irazum13 » 2002-10-04, 16:49

Привет, Mike!
Unfortunatly I can't give you links where you'd find russian books translated on English or German, but I'll try to look for some.
Otherwise, I think it's possible to find smth of Dina Rubina (as she lives in Israel, so she writes in English, too) and of Tatiana Tolstaya (she wrote articles and some more stuff for American magazines and newspapers).
As for others - I don't really know if there are any translations, I hope they must exist :roll:
I know that Victor Pelevin has been translated and edited in French, but in German/English... :?
Anyway, if I find smth you need, you'll know it, oki? :wink:

P.S. All the things of the people I've mentionned write are the melange of funny stories and great stuff in the same time.

best regards, irazum13

sova

To irazum & umichlo

Postby sova » 2002-10-08, 11:48

Guys,

here is the link where you can find Pelewin in English (Moshkov's library, Irazum must know it, for certain...)
Mike, I would advise you to go to your nearby Buchhandlung and have a look what Russian books are on shelves. I do not think you'll come across any junk, but you can always contact us for advice.

Irazum, thank you for the tip about Dina Rubina and L. Ulitskaja- I have never read them. Personally, I am very fond of T. Tolstaya and did already mention her name at this Forum. As to Pelevin, he is fun, yes, but reading him, I always have sneaking impression I've met the ideas before - in books of B. Vian, for instance, or somewhere else...

Regards,

Olga

Lynch

!

Postby Lynch » 2002-10-29, 22:01

You guys! I don't know much about literature, not to mention Russian literature... But I've read a very cool book from a Russian author called Michail Bulgakov... The book's called: "Master i Margarita" - I am sorry, I have no Russian font.

Very famous and good book.
אתה מתחיל הכי מהר שלך, ולאט-לאט אתה מגביר

Return to “Literature”