other tolkien fans here?

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Johanna
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Johanna » 2007-01-04, 21:38

Varislintu wrote:But then, that's pretty common in today's fantasy; few write in a truly fairy-tailish manner anymore ;). One exeption I recently came across was Dart-Thornton's The Ill-made Mute. It has a lot of fairy tale elements. But only that book was any good, the rest of the series was a real disappointment.

I just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust, very nice book if you're looking for modern fairy-tales. :)
Swedish (sv) native; English (en) good; Norwegian (no) read fluently, understand well, speak badly; Danish (dk) read fluently, understand badly, can't speak; Faroese (fo) read some, understand a bit, speak a few sentences; German (de) French (fr) Spanish (es) forgetting; heritage language.

Varislintu

Postby Varislintu » 2007-01-04, 21:40

Johanna wrote:I just finished Neil Gaiman's Stardust, very nice book if you're looking for modern fairy-tales. :)

Thanks :). It's been on my reading list for some time now, I've heard much good about it.

Kiitti :). Se on ollut lukulistallani jo jonkun aikaa, olen kuullut paljon hyvää siitä.

menetekel

Postby menetekel » 2007-01-05, 13:02

Zorba wrote:I used to do a bit of online role-playing, it was great fun but very time consuming. As for CRPGS, I love Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series (Morrowind and Daggerfall), but my computer is not powerful enough to play Oblivion. :?

Oblivion is pretty nice but I only played it once and then never again. You should check out the German RPG series Gothic, if you don't know it yet. Gothic 3 has been released recently (it's still full of bugs; I won't buy it until everything's fixed). Well, first you would have to upgrade your system. ;)

HerrFraeulein

Postby HerrFraeulein » 2007-01-05, 15:22

That foul orc defileth the land! Smite him with your swords, brethren!
You will die, mortal! ~Shao Kahn, MKII

Banazir.Galbasi

Postby Banazir.Galbasi » 2007-01-05, 23:32

Varislintu wrote:Just going on what someone theorised earlier in the thread :lol:. The example wasn't necessarily pointed at Tolkien, either :).

oh, i am sorry. i did not read everything.
(*sniff* and that is why i also repeated what other people already said :cry: )
*native speakers! please feel free to correct my english*

linguanima

Postby linguanima » 2007-04-07, 10:14

Hey! I'm a huge fan of Tolkien! Being interested in languages at the same time, I wonder what 'The Lord of the Rings' would be like if it were written in Old English. I've read Tolkien's biography and according to that book he said that Icelandic was the most suitable language for the work of his, when the Icelandic version came out. But personally I think, if ever possible, it should be translated to Old English.
Şərqiy hünərlər: [flag]ug[/flag] [flag]tr[/flag] [flag]ar[/flag] [flag]fa[/flag] [flag]mn[/flag]
Ğərbiy hünərlər: [flag]en[/flag] [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]pt[/flag] [flag]ru[/flag] [flag]el[/flag]

Return to “Literature”