Random Literature Thread

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

Dormouse559
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Random Literature Thread

Postby Dormouse559 » 2021-06-06, 3:50

I don't usually subvocalize while reading. But there are a couple situations where I may. First, it can help me establish a character's voice to say a line or two aloud; otherwise, all I hear in my head is my own voice. Second, subvocalizing can help me move past a section I'm stuck on. Occasionally, my thoughts get stuck in a loop, and this can also happen with a particular line I'm reading, but saying things out loud breaks the loop.
N'hésite pas à corriger mes erreurs.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-06-09, 15:15

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:How much do you subvocalise (read "out loud" in your head) while reading? Do you ever do accents?

I generally try to avoid subvocalizing as it slows down reading, but when I have a lapse, the subvocalization will be in the author's voice if I'm familiar with it, but otherwise just my own normal voice.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

Rí.na.dTeangacha

Postby Rí.na.dTeangacha » 2021-06-09, 16:08

Yasna wrote:
Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:How much do you subvocalise (read "out loud" in your head) while reading? Do you ever do accents?

I generally try to avoid subvocalizing as it slows down reading, but when I have a lapse, the subvocalization will be in the author's voice if I'm familiar with it, but otherwise just my own normal voice.

I find it exceptionally difficult not to subvocalise. When I try to , in order to speed up reading, comprehension quickly drops off. As far as I can tell, my comprehension is directly proportional to how much and how carefully I subvocalise. I also find that my attention wanes much faster if I don't subvocalise - this is probably due to the comprehension drop-off; the less I understand what I'm reading, the less interested in it I am. For fiction, I find it especially important for me to subvocalise, given that much of the enjoyment I get from good fiction is not just getting the story, but how it's phrased, the poetry of the prose, so it becomes more worthwhile to slow down and savour it. For non-fiction, I often just want the author's argument, not necessarily to focus on their phrasing, so in those cases I speed up and subvocalise less, but at a certain point I have to be honest with myself and admit it's just skimming rather than reading. And that's fine, sometimes I only need to skim it.
(pt-br)(ja) - Formerly Ciarán12

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 1:44

Rí.na.dTeangacha wrote:
Yasna wrote:

I find it exceptionally difficult not to subvocalise.

Atm, I'm not sure it's even possible for me not to.

Yasna

Postby Yasna » 2021-10-13, 2:33

Sittenverfall einer bösen Bande

Die Kollaboration und das Schicksal der Juden im besetzten Frankreich sind das prägende Thema der literarischen Saison in Frankreich. Familienbande spielen ebenfalls eine Rolle. Die erste Nachkriegsgeneration rechnet noch einmal mit dem Verhalten der Väter in der Kollaboration und dem Schweigen der Eltern danach ab. Ihre Kinder begeben sich auf die Suche nach den Großeltern, die sie nicht kannten. Anne Berest hat das Porträt der Großmutter im Pariser „Mémorial de la Shoah“ entdeckt und für ihr Buch „La carte postale“ verwendet. „Le Monde“ bescheinigte ihr das Niveau einer „Shoa für Anfänger“.

Den Totalverriss schrieb nicht ein Kritiker, sondern die Schriftstellerin Camille Laurens. Sie ist ein Star der französischen „Autofiction“, ihr Name ein Pseudonym, längst gehört sie zu den einflussreichsten Figuren des Literaturbetriebs.[...]

„Ignare“ – völlig ahnungslos sei Anne Berest. Die Rezensentin verhöhnt die Kollegin wegen ihrer „Angst vor Gas“: nicht authentisch. „Literatur“? Nur in Anführungszeichen! Soll hier ein Buch vernichtet werden? Es scheint so. „Libération“ warf einen Blick auf die Privatsphäre: Camille Laurens ist die Lebensgefährtin des Philosophen François Noudelmann, der mit Anne Berest um den Prix Goncourt konkurriert und ein Buch über seine aus Russland eingewanderten Vorfahren geschrieben hat. Der Großvater starb nach Senfgasangriffen im Ersten Weltkrieg in der Psychiatrie; der Vater überlebte die Judenverfolgung, schwieg – und starb durch eigene Hand.
Ein Buch muß die Axt sein für das gefrorene Meer in uns. - Kafka

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-10-13, 19:04

Lots of Holocaust victims were not Jewish at all. When are people going to finally learn to recognize all of them?

Naava
Forum Administrator

Postby Naava » 2022-05-06, 19:41

Anyone else heard of Dracula Daily? (I'll add a copy of their description from the site but there's also a FAQ, so go read it if you're interested.)

Get the classic novel Dracula delivered to your email inbox, as it happens.

Bram Stoker’s Dracula is an epistolary novel - it’s made up of letters, diaries, telegrams, newspaper clippings - and every part of it has a date. The whole story happens between May 3 and November 10. So: Dracula Daily will post a newsletter each day that something happens to the characters, in the same timeline that it happens to them.

Now you can read the book via email, in small digestible chunks - as it happens to the characters.

Return to “Literature”