Reading in school [split]

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderator:Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator
Re: Reading in school [split]

Postby vijayjohn » 2014-07-31, 23:03

They would occasionally let us pick the books we wanted to read in elementary school, and we were sometimes allowed to read whatever books we wanted in middle school just to kill time, but otherwise, they pretty much never did this. Once in middle school, they said basically: "You can pick this book, this book, or this book. Which do you want to read? Get into groups of 3-5 people who are reading the same book." Otherwise, at most, they would say, "You don't have to read this book, but you'll get extra credit if you do."

Gormur

Postby Gormur » 2020-05-17, 18:02

Why I hated school. We were forced from 1st grade~8th grade to take English. English at my school meant English grammar and that's all it was, basically like drills with tons of assignments and even long essays

Simultaneously, from 7th~8th grade we had an English studies course, which was studying literature and writing papers about every damn book we read. Then we'd have to read the paper in front of the class. It was terrifying. We also had to read all that English literature from the Renaissance period in its original with footnotes

I didn't mind figuring that out, but just the whole drill we went through. I can't imagine that kids still go through that, or at least I hope they don't :hmm:
Eigi gegnir þat at segja at bók nøkkur er hreinferðug eðr ønnur spelluð því at vandliga ok dáliga eru bœkr ritnar ok annat kunnum vér eigi um þœr at dœma

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2021-01-07, 15:17

My 9 year old has read "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory" and will start on Jack London's one (The Call of the Wild) soon :D good choices for me, less boring than what we did in my memory :P
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-05-08, 21:22

We had to read Call of the Wild in school at some point, I think in 8th grade. I liked it but don't remember anything about it.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-05-09, 1:43

Both of those books are older than I am and I’ve been around for half a century. Call of the wild is older than my grandfather.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2021-06-12, 1:42

I loved reading Ovid in the original Latin at school. I had serious difficulty understanding why my classmates didn't appreciate it just because it was also our assigned reading. Ovid reminds me of the fun and facetious elements of Indian poetry.

Return to “Literature”