What are you currently reading? (part 2)

A place for everyone to have discussions about literature, classical and contemporary.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Forum Administrators

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Re: What are you currently reading? (part 2)

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-07, 3:22

I read a bit of FSI Saudi Arabic Basic Course (Urban Hijazi Dialect) by Margaret K. Omar, or at least sort of leafed through it. :P I also tried to get some new words out of an issue of a Pakistani literary magazine called Jasoosi Digest and started reading For Hearing People Only by Matthew S. Moore and Linda Levitan. I tried to start reading The Art of Sign Language Phrases by Christopher Brown only to suddenly realize with a bit of disappointment that it doesn't teach ASL but rather SEE!

rmanoj

Postby rmanoj » 2018-02-07, 7:02

I am reading a Malayalam novel called നിലം പൂത്തു മലർന്ന നാൾ 'The Time When the Land Blossomed'. It's a work of historical fiction set in the Sangam age. The author tries to stick to native Dravidian words and 'tadbhava' words (i.e. Sanskrit or Prakrit loanwords that have been modified to fit Malayalam phonology, as opposed to 'tatsama' words that you are supposed to pronounce as in Sanskrit). But he slips up here and there. I noticed the word രീതി the other day. That's definitely a tatsama word that doesn't conform to Dravidian rules (it starts with ര [ɾ], which is not permitted).

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-02-12, 5:03

I was afraid I wouldn't be able to get back to TY Business French, Basic Chinese, and Practical Chinese Reader IV (and possibly Strange Stories from a Chinese Studio/聊斋故事) now that I'm working again, but I did manage to read two more chapters of TY Business French at least. That means the next chapter I'll be starting will be Chapter 15.

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-14, 3:58

La lengua de los dioses: Nueves razones para amar el griego por Andrea Marcolongo
Un libro autobiográfico que se trata del aprendizaje y de la enseñanza del griego antiguo, escrito en italiano y traducido al español - ¿qué más se puede pedir?
A memoir about learning and teaching Ancient Greek, written in Italian and translated to Spanish - what's not to like? :D

IpseDixit
Language Forum Moderator

Postby IpseDixit » 2018-02-14, 10:31

Interesting how "the genius language" became "the gods' language".

Linguaphile

Postby Linguaphile » 2018-02-14, 13:54

IpseDixit wrote:Interesting how "the genius language" became "the gods' language".

Yep, because of the Greek pantheon of course (probably among the most familiar things about ancient Greece for most people). It's interesting to see how book and movie titles get changed in translation.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2018-02-19, 19:06

I can't believe it's taken me over two months to finish the Böll. Yeah, it's 400 pages and the print is pretty small, but--as I was telling my pals yesterday--the language isn't really all that hard. I'm only looking up a couple words per page, and generally more out of curiosity than out of need. I also did need to take a couple breaks when the subject matter got a little heavy, but, again, it's totally light reading compared to a lot of what I've gotten through. And I'm still really enjoying it. In any case, I've got less than 40 pages left so I should finish up in the next couple days.

In the meantime and as a palate-cleanser, I picked up a book by a Japanese author advertised as a "thriller" but it was so boring I don't even remember what it was called and dropped it after 40 pages. Now I'm well into Pachinko by Min Jin Lee, a Korean-American author. It seems everyone is reading this book right now. A coworker recommended it and then less than a week later a former coworker who doesn't know the other was like, "Hey, I want to start a book discussion group to talk about Pachinko." The prose is nothing special and most of the local colour is familiar to me from other novels set in Korea. I'm hoping things pick up when the setting moves to Japan.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Return to “Literature”