Dutch Discussion Group

Moderator:Aurinĭa

Car
Forum Administrator
Re: Dutch Discussion Group

Postby Car » 2018-08-18, 1:29

Axystos wrote:
Car wrote:Wow, Axystos, je bent terug? :partyhat:

Terug van weggeweest. Eens kijken hoe lang ik het volhoud. :)

:lol:

Ik heb een opname toegevoegd.

Beetje rare audiokwaliteit. Ik versta ook niet precies wat ze zegt.

Bedankt. Ja, dat is echt een probleem. Jammer.
Please correct my mistakes!

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2018-09-09, 18:03

Hallo, kan iemand me zeggen wat de vrouw in deze video zegt: https://youtu.be/_bHdAU8P9tQ?t=4m46s

Ik heb haast met de ondertitels de video goed gevolgd, maar de vrouw kan ik niet zo goed verstaan...
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2018-09-09, 21:06

+ Ik wil ook een keer iets zeggen.
- Zeg maar.
+ En over wat gaat het?
- Ah, euhm. Gij wilt een vraag beantwoorden?
+ Ja, ik wil een vraag beantwoorden.
- 't Gaat eigenlijk over aambeien.
+ Oei, dat is niet goed, hè, als ge dat hebt. Dat doet pijn, hè. Maar dat doet echt verschrikkelijk pijn, hè. En dat jeukt voor dood.* Maar ik ga niet zeggen wat dat is. Dat is pijnlijk. (...) Naar school gaan, dan gaat ge dat weten. Naar school gaan.

* Dat jeukt verschrikkelijk.

Iván
Language Forum Moderator

Postby Iván » 2018-09-11, 19:24

Dankjewel! Ik heb de video goed gevolgd met de transcriptie die Youtube biedt, maar was het een beetje moeilijk de vrouw te verstaan.
Minkä nuorena oppii, sen vanhana taitaa.

langmon

How to become an advanced Dutch speaker as a native of German?

Postby langmon » 2018-11-10, 10:35

Not telling you anything new by mentioning the degree of mutual understanding between Dutch and German.
But being actively able to use it of course is something different than the mere ability to understand it.
So how to become an advanced Dutch speaker as a native of German?
this is a reboot

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-10, 11:11

I would say knowing German helps you mostly in the beginning. You can get to an intermediate level in Dutch really fast. This was really helpful for myself because things like textbooks just don't motivate me a lot, and this allowed me to go straight to taking part in the discussions/games here, and reading interesting articles and books. Without much effort, this can take you quickly to a level where you have a good passive understanding of the most common topics, and can make yourself understood, though probably often not using perfectly correct or natural sounding language.

From there, it's the same as in every language: Expose yourself to the language, use it actively if you can, and pick up the details. I don't think the advantages of being a German native speaker are very relevant any more at this point.

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-11, 15:49

kevin wrote:I would say knowing German helps you mostly in the beginning. You can get to an intermediate level in Dutch really fast. This was really helpful for myself because things like textbooks just don't motivate me a lot, and this allowed me to go straight to taking part in the discussions/games here, and reading interesting articles and books. Without much effort, this can take you quickly to a level where you have a good passive understanding of the most common topics, and can make yourself understood, though probably often not using perfectly correct or natural sounding language.

From there, it's the same as in every language: Expose yourself to the language, use it actively if you can, and pick up the details. I don't think the advantages of being a German native speaker are very relevant any more at this point.

Now that was one perspective, and I do find many parallels to my own one.
But as for one thing in particular, we could differ :D. This is about the "... at this point" part in the end of your post that I quoted right now. To me, Dutch is something like the language I have been knowing since I was a baby or a very small child, it's just that I am not fully familiar with this particular flavor yet. But I could compare that one to the differences between Standard German and Bavarian.
this is a reboot

kevin
Language Forum Moderator

Postby kevin » 2018-11-11, 16:20

I don't know about you, but I can't speak other German dialects authentically. I can understand some of them quite well and make myself understood, but that's the first stage. Mastering the details is something that you would even need to do for other German dialects before you can speak them at an advanced level.

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-11, 16:43

kevin wrote:I don't know about you, but I can't speak other German dialects authentically. I can understand some of them quite well and make myself understood, but that's the first stage. Mastering the details is something that you would even need to do for other German dialects before you can speak them at an advanced level.

It could depend on what is meant by "authentically". Some people, possibly including SGP, too, would sometimes be able to speak other dialects in a next-to-native way when it is about basic conversations only.

(This is something different from knowing them at beginner's level when speaking as someone who hasn't got any heritage connection with them, while, in addition, it is also clear that he only does it for the purposes of tourism or something similar.

Like a, for example, Bavarian speaking like Hamburger Diggahs [can't translate "Diggah" to English...] just to sell more Bavarian Sweets to them for the purpose of the Maximum Money Making Effect only).

And sure, mastering the details can be even rather difficult for a great number of non-native flavors, dialects, and ... etc. :).
this is a reboot

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-13, 13:53

How do you say this in Dutch?

"I understand most of what you say, but I currently cannot express myself that clearly yet"

"Someone is currently doing an in-depth comparison of Dutch and German" [not doing it myself, but asking because of the Sentence Construction Building Blocks and some Word Usage Related Topics]

"Are you also able to express many of your thoughts in German, even if you would definitely say that you couldn't do so, speaking of all what is on your mind?"
this is a reboot

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2018-11-20, 18:12

"I understand most of what you say, but I currently cannot express myself that clearly yet"
- "ik begrijp het meeste wat je zegt, maar ik kan mezelf nog niet goed uitdrukken"

"Someone is currently doing an in-depth comparison of Dutch and German" [not doing it myself, but asking because of the Sentence Construction Building Blocks and some Word Usage Related Topics]
"Iemand voert op dit moment een intensieve vergelijking van het Duits en het Nederlands door"

"Are you also able to express many of your thoughts in German, even if you would definitely say that you couldn't do so, speaking of all what is on your mind?"
"Ben je in staat vele gedachten in het Duits uit te drukken, zelfs als je definitief zou zeggen dat je het niet kunt, wat alles wat je bezig houdt aangaat?"

Om eerlijk te zijn zou ik de laatste zin anders formuleren. Ik vind hem zelfs in het Engels ietsje onbeholpen.
The last sentence is quite clumsy even in the original English, I would formulate both the original and the translation differently, to be honest.

adventrue

Postby adventrue » 2018-11-20, 18:13

Ik moest een nieuw profiel aanmaken, ik herinner me mijn wachtwoord niet meer ...

Ik heb twee vraagjes:

1. Wat betekent het vetgedrukte deel?
"Het kan per arts verschillen wat ze onder een lage bloeddruk verstaan. Hier komt bij dat onbegrepen klachten zoals vermoeidheid en duizeligheid vaak voorkomen, waarbij niet heel duidelijke afwijkingen worden gevonden. In sommige gevallen wordt dan een wat lage bloeddruk gevonden, waaraan de klachten geweten zouden kunnen worden. Maar het is hierbij de vraag of je daadwerkelijk de diagnose lage bloeddruk kan stellen."

2. Wat betekent "slank zijn voor de kerst"?
Betekent "voor" hier "voor dat het kerst wordt"? Of betekent het gewoon "voor het veest" (doeleind)?
Kan je ook "slank zijn voor kerst" zeggen, of moet het lidwoord gebruikt worden?

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-21, 2:52

adventrue wrote: "Are you also able to express many of your thoughts in German, even if you would definitely say that you couldn't do so, speaking of all what is on your mind?"
"Ben je in staat vele gedachten in het Duits uit te drukken, zelfs als je definitief zou zeggen dat je het niet kunt, wat alles wat je bezig houdt aangaat?"

Om eerlijk te zijn zou ik de laatste zin anders formuleren. Ik vind hem zelfs in het Engels ietsje onbeholpen.
The last sentence is quite clumsy even in the original English, I would formulate both the original and the translation differently, to be honest.

As for the overall translations you provided, hartelijk bedankt.

And as for the "clumsy" part only, you know... my second foreign language already was Latin. So maybe that's why I sometimes would say such long sentences. You are very welcome to tell me what makes you feel that it is clumsy, and also to tell me any suggestion on how to express myself with fewer words while also being able to still convey the same amount of information :). I'd really like to do whatever I can to maximize the communication experience, because UniLang even became a place where I, sort of, am living, in addition to primarily living outside of the Internet :D. Soooo... looking forward to hear from you:

https://forum.unilang.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56140&p=1125764#p1125764
this is a reboot

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-17, 12:15

Wat bedoelt "uitgeëffend" in deze zin: "Volgens de laatste inzichten in de taalwetenschap zouden de verschillen tussen het Vlaams en het Nederlands dan heel snel uitgeëffend worden."

Bron

Bedankt!

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-01-17, 17:36

Car wrote:Wat bedoelt betekent "uitgeëffend" in deze zin (...)

bedoelen = meinen
betekenen = bedeuten

Uiteffenen is geen officiëel Nederlands woord, maar in deze context betekent het zoiets als ausgleichen: de verschillen zullen verdwijnen.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-18, 11:49

Bedankt!

Wat bedoelen (:P) ze hier:
Denk bijvoorbeeld aan een Vlaming die zegt “Wij komen goed overeen” en een Nederlander die vraagt “Wat zijn we dan overeengekomen?”

Ik snap het verschil niet.

Aurinĭa
Forum Administrator

Postby Aurinĭa » 2019-01-19, 12:46

De Vlaming gebruikt overeenkomen hier met de betekenis to get along. De Nederlander kent alleen de betekenis to agree on something, to arrange something with someone.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-19, 17:16

Bedankt.

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2019-01-30, 9:46

Wat betekent "uit de hoek komen" in deze zinnen?
"Wat ik wel vind is dat de Nederlanders soms wat onbeschoft, en grof en direct uit de hoek kunnen komen, ..." "... de Nederlanders kunnen soms wat onbeschoft uit de hoek komen, ..."

Bedankt!

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2019-02-16, 13:27

Car wrote:Wat betekent "uit de hoek komen" in deze zinnen?
"Wat ik wel vind is dat de Nederlanders soms wat onbeschoft, en grof en direct uit de hoek kunnen komen, ..." "... de Nederlanders kunnen soms wat onbeschoft uit de hoek komen, ..."

Bedankt!

Eigenlijk niets anders dan: 'kunnen zijn'. Het is een uitdrukking om te beschrijven hoe iemand communiceert, meestal in combinatie met onbeschoft, grappig, scherp ed.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”