Dutch Discussion Group

Moderator:Aurinĭa

geoff

Postby geoff » 2003-04-17, 2:08

Hi!

We had a discussion on the chat about where to put a comma, and I just couldn't believe you could put a comma between Nederland and Nederlands in this sentence:

Luis zegt, dat hij in Nederland, Nederlands heeft geleerd.

Could anyone explain/confirm it to me? Can the rule for putting commas, where there is a speech pause, really be so strong? I wouldn't even put much of a speech pause here.

geoff

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2003-04-17, 10:44

geoff wrote:Hi!

We had a discussion on the chat about where to put a comma, and I just couldn't believe you could put a comma between Nederland and Nederlands in this sentence:

Luis zegt, dat hij in Nederland, Nederlands heeft geleerd.

Could anyone explain/confirm it to me? Can the rule for putting commas, where there is a speech pause, really be so strong? I wouldn't even put much of a speech pause here.

geoff

I'm gonna reproduce what I said myself last night in that chat: I'm no expert grammarian, but I believe that you can't put a comma between the Verb (zegt) and the Direct Object (dat hij in Nederlands Nederlands heeft geleerd).

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2003-04-17, 10:47

Patricia wrote:Question: what's the difference between afgelopen, geleden and vorige?

Niemand antwoordt de bovenstaande vraag?? :cry:

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-04-17, 17:52

Patricia wrote:Question: what's the difference between afgelopen, geleden and vorige?

Eerst maar even die arme Patricia (proberen te) helpen.. :D

<b>geleden</b> wordt alleen gebruikt bij bijvoorbeeld '5 jaar geleden' (5 years ago). (en er is ook nog 'hij heeft geleden' = he suffered, maar ik neem aan dat je het woord in dit verband niet bedoelt)

<b>afgelopen</b> en <b>vorige</b> zijn volgens mij synoniemen. Vorige week...afgelopen week. Vorig jaar...afgelopen jaar. Misschien dat 'vorige' wat meer gebruikt wordt. In ieder geval door mij.. :)

Zijn alle Nederlandstaligen het met mij eens? :)

Axystos.
Native: Nederlands; C2: Deutsch; C1: English;
B1: русский, français, 日本語;
A2: norsk, svenska; A1: português, italiano, español, čeština, polski

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-04-17, 18:04

And <b>geoff</b>: Both commas are wrong there. According to me, anyway.. :)

Axystos.

the_real_onion

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-04-23, 18:06

Ik ben het helemaal met jou eens, Axystos. Zowel wat de komma's betreft als vorige/afgelopen/geleden. Ik had het zelf niet beter kunnen zeggen!

8)

the_real_onion

Komma's

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-04-23, 18:31

For Geoff and anyone else interested in this:

In Dutch, comma's are basically used to separate elements that do not belong together but seem to be one group according to the normal word order. Basically, comma's help you divide the sentence into logical parts.

For example: any two verbal forms that are not part of the same verbal construction should be separated.
- Dat had ik willen zien gebeuren.
- Dat jij Geoff heet, wist ik al.

Comma's also make the difference between a relative clause that can be left out without changing the meaning of the main clause, and a necessary addition that cannot be left out.
For example:
- De jongens, die doodmoe waren, vielen meteen in slaap.
- De jongens die doodmoe waren, vielen meteen in slaap.
In the first sentence, all the boys fell asleep, regardless of the remark that they were all tired. In the second, only the boys that were tired fell asleep...apparently there were others - not tired.

Comma's are also used in cases like this:
- Onze universiteit heeft geld nodig voor de departementen Handelswetenschappen, Biologie, Boekhouding en Fiscaliteit, en Rechten.
Normally, comma's can replace "en" when you sum things up. But here, one element of the group already has "en" in it, so it is ok to have a comma before the last "en".

Some other cases:
- Goed gedaan, Axystos! (when you address someone)
- "Goed", zei hij, "dat is dan geregeld". (when interrupting direct speech)
- Patricia, dat sympatieke Argentijnse meisje, heeft heel interessante vragen. (an apposition(?), which can be left out without altering the meaning of the main clause)

ok...after all this, the point I was actually going to make was this: comma's are there to make reading easier. When you read out loud, comma's can indeed imply a pause, but i don't think they were made to indicate a pause in speech.

Saaropean

Re: Komma's

Postby Saaropean » 2003-04-23, 18:36

All those examples could be translated into German using the same commas. But Geoff mentioned an example, where German spelling rules don't use a comma, because there is no subordinate phrase or so...

proycon
Server Administrator

Postby proycon » 2003-04-26, 21:37

I've finished the second part of the Dutch Course for Beginners today.. So now there are five more lessons! Check out the free language resources section. I hope it is useful.
Language is the dress of thought -- Samuel Johnson
my homepage

Car
Forum Administrator

Postby Car » 2003-04-27, 12:54

proy, where is the solution to the first exercise A of lesson 6? And in lesson 7, solution 1A it should be "he also comes...".

geoff_not_logged_in

Postby geoff_not_logged_in » 2003-05-04, 13:29

Thanks axy and the_real_onion on the comma issue. You restored my faith in the Dutch language. How about this example, I think there also should be no commata here:

Het laatste deel van het opstel, toont overeenkomsten van diakritische tekens, tussen verschillende talen.

If I shorten it a bit it would be

Het opstel toont overeenkomsten tussen talen.

and I think none of the inserts justifies a comma. And if you take out the middle part, it makes no sense.

geoff

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-05-04, 20:01

geoff_not_logged_in wrote:Het laatste deel van het opstel, toont overeenkomsten van diakritische tekens, tussen verschillende talen.

You can delete the commas here as well. Where did this sudden love for commas come from? :)

Axystos.

the_real_onion

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-05-09, 12:33

Axystos wrote:
geoff_not_logged_in wrote:Het laatste deel van het opstel, toont overeenkomsten van diakritische tekens, tussen verschillende talen.

You can delete the commas here as well. Where did this sudden love for commas come from? :)

Axystos.

Maybe it's because of the myth that commas indicate a pause for breath? :wink:

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-05-09, 22:49

Someone should have their bronchial tubes seriously inspected when (s)he needs to take a pause for breath so oftenly... :P

Iemand zou z'n luchtwegen eens serieus moeten laten inspecteren wanneer hij/zij zo vaak een adempauze nodig heeft... :P

Axystos.

Patricia

Postby Patricia » 2003-05-17, 13:42

Hi!

A new question to keep your Dutch brains working. I've been meaning to ask this one for quite some time now, but I keep forgetting to do so:

er...heen and naar...toe

I know I can say Waar ga je heen? or Waar naar toe?, but only as fixed expressions; I don't really understand the structures. Even more puzzling for me is the fact that I hear both heen and toe being used in sentences other than interrogative, something like indication of movement towards a place....is this correct??

Can anyone explain these concepts to me? I haven't found them in my books.

Bedankt!

the_real_onion

Postby the_real_onion » 2003-05-17, 16:59

You're right patricia, both structures express 'going somewhere (else)'. "Ergens heen gaan" en "Ergens naartoe gaan" zijn synoniemen.
Hier zijn enkele voorbeelden van hoe je ze kan gebruiken:

-Waar ga je heen? / Waar ga je naartoe?
Where are you going?

-Jij gaat nergens heen/naartoe!
You're not going anywhere!

-Toen ik niets meer van hem hoorde, ben ik naar hem toe gegaan.
When I didn't hear anything from him anymore, I went to (see) him.

-Na een lange lijdensweg is hij van ons heen gegaan.
After a long period of suffering, he passed away.

-Zwitserland? Daar ben ik nog nooit naartoe geweest.
Switzerland? I have never been there yet.

-Waar gaat de wereld naartoe?
What's the world coming to?

-Zet een kaars voor je raam vannacht, dan kom ik naar je toe.
Put a candle by your window tonight, and then I will come to you.

Maakt dat het een beetje duidelijker?

Christiaan

Postby Christiaan » 2003-06-07, 21:15

Axystos wrote:

Axystos.

Volgens mij zijn de komma's daar zelfs fout, het klikt voor mij in elk geval erg raar.

Christiaan
私輪タイメンバルだです。

Re: Nederlands, Dutch, Niederländisch, Olandese, Néerlanda

Postby Guest » 2003-06-17, 13:43

Ron de Leeuw, Cave Canem wrote:Image Welkom allemaal in het Nederlandse klaslokaal!

Welcome everybody in the Dutch Classroom!

I'll be the tutor of Dutch for the viritual school of languages.

Let I tell you first something about Dutch, before we start, Dutch is a Germanic language, that means it's very similair with English, German and Luxembourgian.

Nobody knows how old the language is, but we know that the oldest books and letters are ± 1000 years old!

If you want to read some more about the history of Dutch, please click this link!

The language has many influences from Latin, Greek, French and English. Now a days is Dutch the 44th biggest language in the world.

Dutch is spoken in The Netherlands, Belgium, The Netherlands Antilles, Suriname, South-Africa and Indonesia.

Lessons

Dutch isn't that hard as Dutch may say to you... pronouncation is maybe the most difficult, but you're here to learn that.

I'll write some lessons and FAQ's till that time you can use this links;

Taalhuis << Online intergral course for Dutch

Learn Dutch << Online course with audio files

Spreek je Nederlands? << List of irregular verbs and Basic Dutch vocabulary!

Learn Dutch << online Dutch course

Download a English - Dutch word list

Yahoo Group Nederlandse Taal << "The idea is to learn everything that they don't (or won't) teach you in your textbooks or classroom." :? :lol:

Kramers Woordenboeken << a site for the advanced student

Online dictionary

A lot of online Dictionaries! << Dutch - English, English - Dutch, Dutch - French, French - Dutch, Dutch - Spanish, Spanish - Dutch, Dutch - Italian, Italian - Dutch, etc.

A introduction to the Dutch language

Dutch - English study group at Yahoo

I hope you will ejoy my lessons and that you learn something, I'll try to do my best, I hope we could have a nice time together, learning Dutch.

With Kind Regards
Ron de Leeuw, Cave Canem
The Netherlands

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-07-15, 19:18

Het is hier gewoon 30 graden! Niet normaal meer! Na vijf minuten fietsen stroomt het zweet al van je voorhoofd af.. :?
Geef mij maar koeler weer. Zweden, here I come. :)

Oh, en wat die Duits-Nederlandse ontmoeting betreft: daar zal ik waarschijnlijk niet heengaan. Dat is hard, ik weet het, maar zo is het leven...

Axystos.

Axystos

Postby Axystos » 2003-08-24, 18:13

Goed..in Zweden was het dan wel iets koeler, maar je werd er doodgestoken door de muggen, als je niet van dat anti-muggen spul bij je had.
Het voordeel van Zweden is wel dat ze daar allemaal Zweeds spreken. Wat dan weer jammer is, is dat als je zelf probeert Zweeds te spreken, ze meteen merken dat je buitenlander bent en ze je in het Engels antwoorden. Dat is natuurlijk best gastvrij, maar ze kunnen het ook overdrijven. Wat ik dan gedaan heb, is gewoon doorgaan in het Zweeds en op een gegeven moment gaan zij vanzelf ook over op hun moedertaal. Meestal, in ieder geval...

Axystos.

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”