Differences in Dutch in the Netherlands and Belgium

Moderator:Aurinĭa

Muisje
Re: Differences in Dutch in the Netherlands and Belgium

Postby Muisje » 2011-09-25, 19:14

Hannahanneke wrote:@Hoogstwaarschijnlijk & Muisje: 'Het frietkraam' sounds wrong to you? 'De frietkraam' sounds wrong to me, i can only imagine a french speaking person (Walloon :mrgreen:) using 'de frietkraam'.
Yes, 'het' sounds wrong. Walloons and Dutch people then, I guess :P

About frietkraam/patatkraam: That's the same as the difference between friet and patat, isn't it? But we could add 'patatkraam' anyway for completeness.

FRIETEN - PATAT (in Limburg en Noord-Brabant FRIET)
Hannahanneke: only frieten is used
Grytolle: And sometimes "friet" as a collective noun
Hannahanneke: After Grytolle's reactie, i would also like to add 'frietje' as a collective noun as well, for example in the expression 'we gaan nog een frietje stekken'.
Muisje: Most commonly 'patat', but 'friet' isn't unheard of either. Both mass nouns. Never 'frieten'. 'Patatje' too in the way Hannahanneke uses 'frietje', I've never heard that with 'frietje' but maybe in the south?

FRUITSAP/APPELSIENSAP - SINAASAPPELSAP/JUS D'ORANGE
Hannahanneke: 'Fruitsap', 'appelsiensap' and 'sinaasappelsap' are used here, 'fruitsap' is the most common word i think. I find it bizarre that the Netherlands has a French loanword for this! I always supposed they hate French loanwords.
Muisje: This one's right I think, for the Netherlands anyway. Often just 'jus', too. Although I always say 'sinaasappelsap'.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Hannahanneke: only garagepoort is used - I would like to add now that most of the 'garagepoorten' are really 'poorten' and not 'deuren' and that's why we call them like this i guess. http://www.google.be/imgres?q=garagepoo ... 80&bih=632 They look like this and 'go up', they don't open like a door.
Muisje: Yeah they look like that here too, still we call them 'door'. Don't know why. :roll:

GEKEND (In de provincie Antwerpen spreekt men over 'gekend' als het over een zaak gaat en 'bekend' als het over een persoon gaat)- BEKEND
Hannahanneke: I'll never say 'gekend' for 'bekend', i would rather use 'gekend' for 'learned, studied'.
Grytolle: A lot of classmates had troubles with "bekend" though (they'd use "gekend"). I'm guessing Antwerpen is as often a bit more Hollandic than... the wider parking terrain

GEVANGENIS - GEVANGENIS/HUIS VAN BEWARING
Hannahanneke:'Huis van bewaring' is used in the dialect here, maybe a bit less than 'gevangenis', so i don't understand at all why they put it in the column of the Netherlands.
Muisje: Maybe because here it's used in the standard language too? 'gevangenis' is definitely more common though, that's the normal word.
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-26, 7:26

Hannahanneke: After Grytolle's reactie, i would also like to add 'frietje' as a collective noun as well, for example in the expression 'we gaan nog een frietje stekken'.
Muisje: Most commonly 'patat', but 'friet' isn't unheard of either. Both mass nouns. Never 'frieten'. 'Patatje' too in the way Hannahanneke uses 'frietje', I've never heard that with 'frietje' but maybe in the south?
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: 'Frietje' is fine for me when you'd like to describe the kind of food you could order at 'de frietkraam' indeed. But with 'een frietje' you mean the dish, while 'friet' is the mass noun to describe the kind of food. Anyway, Wikipedia seems right here.

Hannahanneke: 'Fruitsap', 'appelsiensap' and 'sinaasappelsap' are used here, 'fruitsap' is the most common word i think. I find it bizarre that the Netherlands has a French loanword for this! I always supposed they hate French loanwords.
Muisje: This one's right I think, for the Netherlands anyway. Often just 'jus', too. Although I always say 'sinaasappelsap'.
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Fruitsap doesn't seem to be quite specific and appelsiensap looks too much like appelsap. Sinaasappelsap or jus d'orange (sjuderans) is way better 8-) Wikipedia is right here too.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Hannahanneke: only garagepoort is used - I would like to add now that most of the 'garagepoorten' are really 'poorten' and not 'deuren' and that's why we call them like this i guess. http://www.google.be/imgres?q=garagepoo ... 80&bih=632 They look like this and 'go up', they don't open like a door.
Muisje: Yeah they look like that here too, still we call them 'door'. Don't know why. :roll:
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: I don't agree with Muisje. We used both words, though usually 'de poort van de garage'. But we used it for different things: the poort is the whole thing, the part that goes up indeed (I don't necessarily think it makes more sense to call it a poort by the way, a poort for me is mostly the 'door' to the garden) and the deur is the part in the poort that works as a door.

GEKEND (In de provincie Antwerpen spreekt men over 'gekend' als het over een zaak gaat en 'bekend' als het over een persoon gaat)- BEKEND
Hannahanneke: I'll never say 'gekend' for 'bekend', i would rather use 'gekend' for 'learned, studied'.
Grytolle: A lot of classmates had troubles with "bekend" though (they'd use "gekend"). I'm guessing Antwerpen is as often a bit more Hollandic than... the wider parking terrain

Hannahanneke:'Huis van bewaring' is used in the dialect here, maybe a bit less than 'gevangenis', so i don't understand at all why they put it in the column of the Netherlands.
Muisje: Maybe because here it's used in the standard language too? 'gevangenis' is definitely more common though, that's the normal word.
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: This is a strange one, because they make it seem like huis van bewaring is the same thing as a gevangenis, but it's not.
Native: Dutch
Learns: Latin and French
Knows also (a bit): English, German, Turkish, Danish

Corrections appreciated.

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2011-09-27, 22:23

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: 'Frietje' is fine for me when you'd like to describe the kind of food you could order at 'de frietkraam' indeed. But with 'een frietje' you mean the dish, while 'friet' is the mass noun to describe the kind of food. Anyway, Wikipedia seems right here.
Leviwosc: 'Frietje' is indeed used for the dish, but then in a specific form. One will use the noun 'frietje' for the typical Belgian paper cone bag filled with French fries or the white plastic packages with a special compartment for the mayonnaise. Usually one buys these delicacy in cafetaria and fast food restaurants. While 'friet' can also be a dish when one decides to deep fry French fries at home in a deep fryer.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Fruitsap doesn't seem to be quite specific and appelsiensap looks too much like appelsap. Sinaasappelsap or jus d'orange (sjuderans) is way better 8-) Wikipedia is right here too.
Leviwosc: I agree here with Hoogstwaarschijnlijk.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: I don't agree with Muisje. We used both words, though usually 'de poort van de garage'. But we used it for different things: the poort is the whole thing, the part that goes up indeed (I don't necessarily think it makes more sense to call it a poort by the way, a poort for me is mostly the 'door' to the garden) and the deur is the part in the poort that works as a door.
Leviwosc: A 'poort' is a wooden or an iron gate in a fence or in a wall made of bricks/stones, which closes the entrance to a space without a roof. A poort always enables people entrance to an inner court or a garden. The gate of a city was always called a poort for example. It's an important door. The door that enables entrance to a house or at least a room with a permanent roof on top is called a 'deur'.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: This is a strange one, because they make it seem like huis van bewaring is the same thing as a gevangenis, but it's not.
Leviwosc: Hoogstwaarschijnlijk is right, 'Huis van Bewaring' is not the same as a 'gevangenis'. It's used for temporary imprisonment, the people who are imprisoned in a Huis van Bewaring are not condemned yet.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2011-09-27, 23:25

Leviwosc: 'Frietje' is indeed used for the dish, but then in a specific form. One will use the noun 'frietje' for the typical Belgian paper cone bag filled with French fries or the white plastic packages with a special compartment for the mayonnaise. Usually one buys these delicacy in cafetaria and fast food restaurants. While 'friet' can also be a dish when one decides to deep fry French fries at home in a deep fryer.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Leviwosc: A 'poort' is a wooden or an iron gate in a fence or in a wall made of bricks/stones, which closes the entrance to a space without a roof. A poort always enables people entrance to an inner court or a garden. The gate of a city was always called a poort for example. It's an important door. The door that enables entrance to a house or at least a room with a permanent roof on top is called a 'deur'.
Grytolle:: Voetnoot: in het Zweeds zou ik onderscheiden tussen de garagedörr (een deur die ongeveer hetzelfde uitziet als de deur van een huis) en een garageport (de poort waardoor de auto binnenrijdt). Overal waar ik gewoond heb hadden we en een garagepoort en een garagedeur

Leviwosc: Hoogstwaarschijnlijk is right, 'Huis van Bewaring' is not the same as a 'gevangenis'. It's used for temporary imprisonment, the people who are imprisoned in a Huis van Bewaring are not condemned yet.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-28, 8:01

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk:: That's exactly what I meant. So what will we do with the Wikipedia?

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Grytolle:: Voetnoot: in het Zweeds zou ik onderscheiden tussen de garagedörr (een deur die ongeveer hetzelfde uitziet als de deur van een huis) en een garageport (de poort waardoor de auto binnenrijdt). Overal waar ik gewoond heb hadden we en een garagepoort en een garagedeur
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Wat Leviwosc zegt, klopt allemaal wel, maar dat zegt nog niets over het gebruik van het woord 'garagepoort', wel? Voor zover ik weet, wordt het in Nederland ook garagepoort genoemd, op de manier die Grytolle aangeeft.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: I suggest we just delete this one.

Corrections appreciated.

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2011-09-28, 9:36

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk:: That's exactly what I meant. So what will we do with the Wikipedia?
Muisje: So 'frietje' and 'patatje' are the same thing, except one is south and the other is north. The problem is that this is more a below the rivers vs above the rivers than a netherlands vs belgium, if you know what I mean :P Is Brabant exactly the same as Belgium? Because then we could just put the northern forms in the 'netherlands' column and add a note saying the south of the Netherlands patterns with Belgium for this one.

FRUITSAP/APPELSIENSAP - SINAASAPPELSAP/JUS D'ORANGE: Wikipedia is correct.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Wat Leviwosc zegt, klopt allemaal wel, maar dat zegt nog niets over het gebruik van het woord 'garagepoort', wel? Voor zover ik weet, wordt het in Nederland ook garagepoort genoemd, op de manier die Grytolle aangeeft.
Muisje: Ik zou dus dat omhooggaande gedeelte ook 'deur' noemen :P Maar ik heb zelf nooit in een huis met een garage gewoond en ik begin nou ook te twijfelen. Misschien kan ik het eens aan wat mensen vragen ofzo..

GEVANGENIS - GEVANGENIS/HUIS VAN BEWARING: Wikipedia is wrong - delete.
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-28, 9:45

Muisje: So 'frietje' and 'patatje' are the same thing, except one is south and the other is north. The problem is that this is more a below the rivers vs above the rivers than a netherlands vs belgium, if you know what I mean :P Is Brabant exactly the same as Belgium? Because then we could just put the northern forms in the 'netherlands' column and add a note saying the south of the Netherlands patterns with Belgium for this one.
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Unfortunetaly it is not, we don't say 'frieten' usually, we just say 'friet'. But Wikipedia containt that already, so I guess it's just fine as it is.

FRUITSAP/APPELSIENSAP - SINAASAPPELSAP/JUS D'ORANGE: Wikipedia is correct.

GARAGEPOORT - GARAGEDEUR
Muisje: Ik zou dus dat omhooggaande gedeelte ook 'deur' noemen :P Maar ik heb zelf nooit in een huis met een garage gewoond en ik begin nou ook te twijfelen. Misschien kan ik het eens aan wat mensen vragen ofzo..
Hoogstwaarschijnlijk: Ik heb in een huis gewoond waarbij de garagedeur deel uitmaakte van de poort van de garage, maar die zie ik op google afbeeldingen helemaal niet terug, dus ik begin nu ook te twijfelen over hoe gewoon de benamingen zijn die wij ervoor hadden... Ja, maar eens aan wat mensen vragen inderdaad!

GEVANGENIS - GEVANGENIS/HUIS VAN BEWARING: Wikipedia is wrong - delete.

Corrections appreciated.

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-29, 7:51

Heb het aan één iemand gevraagd, die zei: 'O, wij zeggen garageklep' :D :(

Corrections appreciated.

Spaigelploatje

Postby Spaigelploatje » 2011-09-30, 0:09

Ik zag zojuist dat rustoord in het Vlaams een bejaardentehuis is, en in het 'Nederlands' een begraafplaats.
Ik kan me niet anders inzien en indenken dan dat een rustoord een bejaardentehuis is. Al zal dat wellicht komen omdat hier in de buurt een bejaardentehuis is met de naam "Wilhelmina rustoord".

Mogelijk is dit woord net als appelsien wel in het noorden van Nederland blijven hangen, net als in Vlaanderen, maar is het in de rest van Nederlands veranderd. Al dan niet qua woord op zich (appelsien tegen sinaasappel), maar ook als betekenis (rustoord een bejaardentehuis ten opzichte van begraafplaats).

Hoogstwaarschijnlijk

Postby Hoogstwaarschijnlijk » 2011-09-30, 8:43

Nou, ik zou het wat cru vinden om met rustoord een begraafplaats te bedoelen, ik zou dan ook eerst aan een bejaardetehuis denken hoor :P

(maar we waren ze eigenlijk per vijf aan het bespreken, is het weer tijd voor de volgende?)

Corrections appreciated.

Grytolle

Postby Grytolle » 2011-10-04, 15:15

Volgens een discussie op een e-maillijst die ik volg, zeggen jullie in Nederland "veralgemeniseren" in plaats van "veralgemenen" :partyhat: (even :rotfl: dan :partyhat: )

TeneReef

Postby TeneReef » 2011-11-10, 0:41

I would like to learn Belgian Dutch but there are no courses available. All courses focus on Holland Dutch (yes people in Belgium call the Netherlands simply Holland :wink: ). Even if you say ''the formal grammar is identical'' there are still two main different things: 1. pronunciation, and 2. vocabulary.
Even everyday vocabulary is different (things like frigo and so on). I wouldn't like to use words ''from Holland'' in Belgium. :? There are courses of Swiss German, American English, even on Quebec French, but nothing on Belgian Dutch. :? Not even one single website. :roll:

Even very common Belgian phrases like Ik zie u graag (I love you) would be hidden from you if you took a Holland Dutch course.

I love Belgium and always visit it, the people are great, both Flemish and Valloon, I like Belgian Dutch very much, it sounds so pleasant and warm, and I like their dance music, especially Milk inc, Annagrace (Ian van Dahl), Jessy, Sylver, Lasgo, Dee Dee, Peter Luts, La Luna. :yep: Unfortunately everyone speaks English. :para: I can understand most of what they say on Flemish TV because I learned German for 9 years, but I can't speak it. :?

We had W817 on Croatian TV with subtitles, but it was canceled after 3 seasons. :(
विकृतिः एवम्‌ प्रकृति
learning in 2019: (no-nn)

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”