How should I as a German native learn Dutch?!

Moderator: Aurinĭa

Quetzalcoatl

How should I as a German native learn Dutch?!

Postby Quetzalcoatl » 2011-07-09, 21:00

Actually I don't want to become fluent, but only increase the percentage of what I understand when I try to listen to Dutch or to read it. As our languages are so related, I think it wouldn't make sence to learn it just like any other foreign language, so I hope you have some advice for me concerning the main differences so that I get a better passive comprehension quickly. :)

Car
Forum Administrator

Re: How should I as a German native learn Dutch?!

Postby Car » 2011-07-10, 8:29

Linguaholic might know this better than anyone else, but what I did when I was reading some Dutch on a regular basis was to learn the basic pronunciation rules, learn some basic Dutch (Pons Powerkurs is really good and interesting, I fully enjoyed that one) and maybe a good dictionary (although I don't know any), then I'd just read it daily.
Please correct my mistakes!

Muisje

Postby Muisje » 2011-07-10, 12:20

Learning the orthography would probably help a lot already, Dutch and German have different ways of writing down the same thing sometimes. And it kind of depends on how you learn, but learning some of the general sound correspondences might be a good idea (like [flag]nl[/flag] ou = [flag]de[/flag] ol/al: oud = alt, hout = Holz, etc). I don't know if there is a list of those somewhere..

The Germans here can probably help you better :)
you either lose your fear
or spend your life
with one foot in the grave
over the rhine - spark

linguaholic

Postby linguaholic » 2011-07-10, 17:41

In my opinion, the best way is to let somebody lock you up with 15 other Germans desperate to learn Dutch (for admission to university) and a teacher for a month and then stay in the Netherlands when you get out again. That's what I did, and I think it worked pretty well (if I may say so myself). :lol:

If that's not an option, I think you could just go about it like you would go about starting any other language, and skip the boring parts (looks like German, German, German ... continue on page 50) - that's what they did in my Dutch course, at least. Also, just practising the things you want to would probably help a lot. Try to translate short text or transcribe audio (I'm sure people on here will be happy to help you correct it). Or read a book you already know in German, preferrably with an audiobook alongside it. And as Muisje said, having a good grasp of orthography and a feel for the most common sound changes helps a lot. (At first glance, "zwijgen" doesn't look familiar, but if you know that it would be spelled something like "sweichen" in German and that word-initial S
in Dutch is usually s and g corresponds to x, "schweigen" is the obvious translation.)

Sorry, it's all not terribly innovative, but I don't think there's any perfect method. :P (There seem to be some books on learning to read Dutch quickly aimed at Germans specifically though. Don't know any titles, unfortunately.)
native: Deutsch / advanced: English, Nederlands / intermediate: Esperanto / forgotten: Français / fighting my way through: עברית מקראית / dreaming of: Čeština, עברית / admiring from a safe distance: فارسی

Pendragon

Postby Pendragon » 2011-07-11, 21:04

I just started working on my German a few weeks ago, for some reason I never learned it before. For me the best way to learn a familiar language seems to be to do lots of reading to quickly figure out from practice which words are similar and which aren't. It's really funny to discover 'Dutch words in German' all the time. Should work the other way around too. I guess you should move through the levels quickly to make sure it stays challenging. If you read a newspaper daily, might as well switch to reading the Volkskrant (www.vk.nl) or so and get some extra daily practice.

Leviwosc

Postby Leviwosc » 2011-07-28, 17:53

Sowieso heel erg veel Nederlands lezen! Het Nederlands wordt soms wel eens gekscherend de kleinste wereldtaal genoemd en niet geheel onverdiend. Al vele eeuwen schrijft men in het Nederlands en de schat aan Nederlandstalige literatuur is dan ook heel erg omvangrijk en uitgebreid.
Uiteraard kun je ook naast het lezen van boeken luisteren naar Nederlandstalige muziek, doch kan ik me voorstellen dat je niet bijzonder gecharmeerd zult zijn van het Nederlandse luisterlied. Maar misschien kan zo'n alleraardigste band als Bløf of Spinvis je wel bekoren. Maar als jij wel de voorkeur geeft aan een smartlap met een authentieke Jordanese snik, dan kun je denken aan Johnny Jordaan, Tante Leen of Zwarte Riek.
Maar wellicht kun je beter gewoon beginnen bij het begin. Leer de grammatica, daar deze het fundament vormt van de taal. Wat echter veel belangrijker is op welke wijze jij wenst te leren en hoeveel moeite je bereidt bent om in dit project te steken.
Image Image | Image Image Image Image | Image Image Image

Return to “Dutch (Nederlands)”