PLEASE HELP - Question about conditionnel

Moderator:JackFrost

Lafzor
PLEASE HELP - Question about conditionnel

Postby Lafzor » 2021-01-22, 14:19

I hope someone amongs you could and want to help me.

I'm writing my thesis about future and conditional, and need to find out the answer to the next question:

WHO WAS THE FIRST GRAMMARIAN WHO REFERS FOR THE FIRST TIME THE CONDITIONAL WITH THIS NAME?

I don't mean the first time the tense is explained, but the first time this tense (or mood?) is named as "conditionnel".

I think just have clear the point of that grammarian was French, and then grammarians of the rest of Europe used the same name in the rest of languages.

Thanks and merci beaucoup for the nice helper may solve this mystery to me...

Osias

Re: PLEASE HELP - Question about conditionnel

Postby Osias » 2021-01-22, 19:28

quoi
2017 est l'année du (fr) et de l'(de) pour moi. Parle avec moi en eux, s'il te plait.

linguoboy

Postby linguoboy » 2021-01-23, 0:48

One of the first (if not the very first) examples of this usage is in the Grammaire de Port-Royal of Arnaud and Lancelot. Others had referred to particular expressions as "conditionnel" but I think they might have been the first to refer to an entire verbal conjugation this way.
"Richmond is a real scholar; Owen just learns languages because he can't bear not to know what other people are saying."--Margaret Lattimore on her two sons

Lafzor

Postby Lafzor » 2021-01-23, 3:04

linguoboy wrote:One of the first (if not the very first) examples of this usage is in the Grammaire de Port-Royal of Arnaud and Lancelot. Others had referred to particular expressions as "conditionnel" but I think they might have been the first to refer to an entire verbal conjugation this way.

Thanks a lot. I'm gonna ensure your clue.

Return to “French (Français)”