French TV and Movies

Moderator:JackFrost

darlia
French TV and Movies

Postby darlia » 2014-07-09, 23:41

Hello,

I would like to watch french TV shows and movies so I keep up with my french. I don't live anywhere where many people speak french so I don't use it on a regular basis.

My french is not great but I found I was able to enjoy and understand the TV show "The Returned" because they didn't talk particularly fast or in a strange dialect.

Can anyone recommend any other really good french TV shows or movies? I recently tried a comedy movie but they spoke too fast for me.

Thank you! :)

Meera

Re: French TV and Movies

Postby Meera » 2014-07-15, 15:24

darlia wrote:Hello,

I would like to watch french TV shows and movies so I keep up with my french. I don't live anywhere where many people speak french so I don't use it on a regular basis.

My french is not great but I found I was able to enjoy and understand the TV show "The Returned" because they didn't talk particularly fast or in a strange dialect.

Can anyone recommend any other really good french TV shows or movies? I recently tried a comedy movie but they spoke too fast for me.

My favorite French Film is Amélie. It's a really a cute romantic comedy. I liked The Intouchables too which was based on a true story. These are probably my two favorite French movies. Also Jean Dujardin has a series of movies that make fun of spy/james bond films called OSS. I've only seen OSS 117 but I liked it. :mrgreen: You might want to watch La vie en rose which is about Edith Pilaf's life.

I don't know much about French movies, but these are some of the ones I liked. I don't know any French tv shows :(
अहिंसा/เจ
Learning: (hi) (ja) (ko) (fr)

Marah

Postby Marah » 2014-07-15, 19:51

Meera wrote: I liked The Intouchables too which was based on a true story. These are probably my two favorite French movies. Also Jean Dujardin has a series of movies that make fun of spy/james bond films called OSS. I've only seen OSS 117 but I liked it. :mrgreen: You might want to watch La vie en rose which is about Edith Pilaf's life.

OSS 117? Which one? Le Caire, nid d'espion or Rio ne répond plus? They're funny indeed. :)
Bienvenue chez les ch'tis is kind of funny too, maybe you'll like it.

You can also try to find American movies dubbed in French.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

IpseDixit

Postby IpseDixit » 2014-10-24, 22:09

md0

Postby md0 » 2014-10-25, 4:57

TV5MONDE is actually a great channel. It has a mix of programming from all major French-speaking broadcasters (from France, Canada, Belgium, Suisse and Françafrique). I watch that when I'm staying over with my only friend who has cable TV.
"If you like your clause structure, you can keep your clause structure"
Stable: Cypriot Greek (el-cy)Standard Modern Greek (el)English (en) Current: Standard German (de)
Legacy: France French (fr)Japanese (ja)Standard Turkish (tr)Elementary Finnish (fi)Netherlands Dutch (nl)

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-01-10, 0:50

Marah wrote:
Meera wrote: I liked The Intouchables too which was based on a true story. These are probably my two favorite French movies. Also Jean Dujardin has a series of movies that make fun of spy/james bond films called OSS. I've only seen OSS 117 but I liked it. :mrgreen: You might want to watch La vie en rose which is about Edith Pilaf's life.

OSS 117? Which one? Le Caire, nid d'espion or Rio ne répond plus? They're funny indeed. :)
Bienvenue chez les ch'tis is kind of funny too, maybe you'll like it.

You can also try to find American movies dubbed in French.

Bonjour Marah. I'm sorry I didn't see this until now. I saw Le Caire the one that took place in Cairo :D The Brazil one is on Netflix maybe I should watch it :P I have been trying to find English movies and tv shows dubbed in French online but I haven't found them :(
अहिंसा/เจ

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2015-01-31, 8:22

Meera wrote:
darlia wrote:Hello,

My favorite French Film is Amélie. It's a really a cute romantic comedy.

Yeah, Amélie was good. I've seen a few other French movies before (all in French class, and no, not the ones you'd expect! :lol:), but most of them weren't that great. :P One of them was Danton (1983, I think). I guess that one really was pretty good (especially in comparison to the rest...) but still not as good as Amélie IMHO. Another one I saw was Diva, which honestly is only good if you're into that sort of thing. :P If you're not (like I wasn't), it just looks really, really bizarre. :lol: There's also La Ballade des Dalton, but I can't honestly say I actually saw it, because everybody else in class was being so goddamn noisy! :P

harhakuva

Postby harhakuva » 2015-05-13, 10:47

Has anybody been watching a TV series "Fais pas ci, fais pas ça"? :) I find it really funny and it's good for getting familiar with everyday French as the topic is pretty simple - lives of two different families.

Honestly I haven't been really motivated to improve my French but watching this series has been a huge help!
Υπάρχουν πράγματα που μπορεί να περιμένεις μια ζωή και να μην έρχονται και άλλα που μπορεί να έρθουν σε μια στιγμή και να αλλάξουν ότι περίμενες μια ζωή.

[flag=]fi[/flag] native [flag=]en[/flag] fluent [flag=]sv[/flag] intermediate [flag=]fr[/flag] getting there
[flag=]el[/flag] love this, trying to recover what used to know

Meera

Postby Meera » 2015-07-21, 20:04

I don't know if it is too late to post here but I just got done watching a mini-series called "Witnesses" in French which was absolutely amazing, I just wished it wasn't so short.
अहिंसा/เจ

SnakeMenUnite

Postby SnakeMenUnite » 2018-02-14, 5:19

md0 wrote:TV5MONDE is actually a great channel. It has a mix of programming from all major French-speaking broadcasters (from France, Canada, Belgium, Suisse and Françafrique). I watch that when I'm staying over with my only friend who has cable TV.

it's your best bet, really. lol

SM11

Postby SM11 » 2018-08-31, 8:24

Here's a top 10 of my favorite French movies:

1 - Intouchables
2 - Astérix et Obélix Mission Cléopâtre
3 - Un Prophète
4 - Le Prénom
5 - Le Dîner de Cons
6 - Le Fabuleux Destin d'Amélie Poulain
7 - Indigènes
8 - OSS 117 : Rio ne répond plus
9 - Léon
10 - Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au Bon Dieu ?

Regarding TV Shows, I don't know much about them, maybe:
Fais pas ci, fais pas ça
Un gars une fille
Les revenants
Scènes de Ménages

But you can always watch American series dubbed in French, it's actually more efficient for learning French because you already know the story, so you can just focus on what the characters say in French. The bad side is that there's no suspens... ^^'

But if I say this, it's because French series are usually pretty bad compared to American ones I think.
articles about French and language learning on my blog (https://blogfrench.com/blog/)

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-10-01, 9:34

I've just finished watching Le Chalet on Netflix. It's great for anyone who enjoys a good thriller. There are way too many characters to keep track of at the beginning, but then you get used to it (and half of them will die anyway :P )
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-13, 14:26

There's a very famous old sitcom called Hélène et les Garçons and some resources that even use it as study material. There was a time when the whole series was available for free on YouTube with subtitles in French.

Return to “French (Français)”