Viridzen- Français

Moderator:JackFrost

melski
Re: Viridzen- Français

Postby melski » 2014-08-18, 10:20

Then you definitely have to use passé composé : Hier, j'ai toujours bien répondu aux questions.
................Native: French (fr) French
................Fluent: English (en) English , Italian (it) Italian
.........Intermediate: German (de) German, Brazilian Portuguese (pt-br) Portuguese
.........Conversational: Catalan (ca) Catalan, Spanish (es) Spanish
....................Learning: [flag=Wallisian (East Uvean / faka'uvea)]wls[/flag] Wallisian (topic here)

masorick

Postby masorick » 2014-08-19, 17:05

Frankly, if your point is to illustrate the difference between the imparfait and the passé composé / passé simple, that example is not very good.

EDIT: That said, I agree that the passé composé is the best fit.

Personally, if I were to translate the imparfait "Je répondais toujours bien à toutes les questions" to English, I would render it as "I would always answer all the questions correctly" or perhaps "I used to always answer all the questions correctly"; both convey the idea that it was a recurring thing. The second phrase heavily implies that it's no longer the case, so it depends on context which one you should use.

Viridzen

Postby Viridzen » 2014-10-08, 19:56

Hi, I'm sorry I haven't been on this thread lately. I haven't really been bothering with French recently; I'm not sure why. Anyway, once I start again (which should be soon), I'll be back with questions. Somewhere through «Le Chat au Chapeau», I got bored and decided to go do something else, and so I haven't done much with French ever since (though it was only a month or two ago, so I haven't forgotten much).

Not that I needed to make an announcement, just that I felt guilty that I hadn't.
Please, correct my errors. S'il vous plaît, corrigez mes erreurs.
C2: [flag=]en[/flag] B1: Focusing on: [flag=]fr[/flag] (A2), [flag=]got[/flag]

Return to “French (Français)”