Con vs connard

Moderator:JackFrost

Bacon
Con vs connard

Postby Bacon » 2013-06-02, 1:23

Hello, I have a few questions about these words.

1. What's the difference?

2. What's the vulgarity level of these words?

JackFrost

Re: Con vs connard

Postby JackFrost » 2013-06-02, 2:04

1) None.
2) It's like calling someone a fucker. Not to be used too lightly.
Neferuj paħujkij!

Marah

Postby Marah » 2013-06-02, 6:08

1. What's the difference?

In France:
A "con" is someone stupid.
A "connard" is an asshole.
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

Bacon

Postby Bacon » 2013-06-02, 16:49

Is there a translation for "jerk"? To describe someone who is really mean, rude, and/or arrogant, but is not at all taboo?

Emandir

Postby Emandir » 2013-06-02, 17:52

Bacon wrote:Is there a translation for "jerk"? To describe someone who is really mean, rude, and/or arrogant, but is not at all taboo?
The less arrogant I can think about are "crétin", "abruti" or even "andouille".
Language is the best way men have found to misunderstand each other. Lycodoxos

@Emandir

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-04-13, 7:04

(Funny how you can find old subjects and re-anime then when you're supposed to do some testing but the server displays a 503 error) :mrgreen:

Con = moron, idiot. Can be used either for a man, either for a woman.
Connard = asshole, someone who is voluntary evil. Only for men.
Connasse = only for women - very popular and common in France - a woman who is self-centered and happily steps on everyone else's toes. Very popular insult when a woman is bothering you :P
Conne = should be feminine version of "con" but it's actually more halfway between "idiot, stupid" and "connasse" => evil. Only for women.
Couillon = idiot but in a kind, affective way... Only for men.

I'm not sure all those shades of "con***" exist in other languages :silly:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-16, 8:08

france-eesti wrote:(Funny how you can find old subjects and re-anime then when you're supposed to do some testing but the server displays a 503 error) :mrgreen:

If there was a HTTP 503 error, then how exactly could you find old subjects? Do you mean you found them after that error was gone?

france-eesti wrote:Connard = asshole, someone who is voluntary evil. Only for men.
Connasse = only for women - very popular and common in France - a woman who is self-centered and happily steps on everyone else's toes. Very popular insult when a woman is bothering you :P

As someone who is both into All Things Languages and All Things Communication, I'd like to ask you something.
If a woman really would do such a thing, is it generally acceptable in the view of The Average French Person (if they exist anyway :)) to simply call her a ... connasse? And would even _she_ usually understand it to a certain extent?
this is a reboot

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-11-16, 10:09

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:If there was a HTTP 503 error, then how exactly could you find old subjects? Do you mean you found them after that error was gone?

The stuff I was supposed to be testing was displaying a 503 error, not Unilang!

SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:As someone who is both into All Things Languages and All Things Communication, I'd like to ask you something.
If a woman really would do such a thing, is it generally acceptable in the view of The Average French Person (if they exist anyway :)) to simply call her a ... connasse? And would even _she_ usually understand it to a certain extent?

What do you mean? If she does what for example?
Insults aren't used by every Average French the same way :P so it's kinda hard to generalize. I would call a "connasse" a woman who is doing something nasty or rude on purpose or just because she thinks her person is more important than anyone else :mrgreen:
For example one is queuing and goes in front of everybody because she has a massage appointment, not caring she is passing in front of an elderly woman, a pregnant woman, a young mum with 3 crying kids... She's a connasse :lol:
(fr) Native - (en) Fluentish - (pt) Fluentish when I was younger - (hu) Can sustain a conversation with a patient and kind magyar or order some beer and lecsó in Budapest - (it) On Duolingo ma posso ordinare uno Spritz ed antipasti in un ristorante :blush:

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-16, 10:34

france-eesti wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:If there was a HTTP 503 error, then how exactly could you find old subjects? Do you mean you found them after that error was gone?

The stuff I was supposed to be testing was displaying a 503 error, not Unilang!

Sooo young but nevertheless rather tech-savy!

And what you wrote explains a lot. You wanted to test displaying a 503, rather than the 503 displaying itself to you without a prior "do you want to meet me" inquiry.

france-eesti wrote:
SomehowGeekyPolyglot wrote:As someone who is both into All Things Languages and All Things Communication, I'd like to ask you something.

What do you mean? If she does what for example?

Well, what I mean is: if she does what you described, quoting it right now :). Color Based Emphasis mine.
france-eesti wrote:Connasse = only for women - very popular and common in France - a woman who is self-centered and happily steps on everyone else's toes. Very popular insult when a woman is bothering you :P

france-eesti wrote:Insults aren't used by every Average French the same way :P so it's kinda hard to generalize.

Now you too use some Noun Capitalization :). Side-note only: as for me, I do it because at least to me, it facilitates making additional "brain pathways" (not meant toooo literally).

france-eesti wrote:I would call a "connasse" a woman who is doing something nasty or rude on purpose or just because she thinks her person is more important than anyone else :mrgreen:

Hmmm... I see. Like a female Rambo maybe?

france-eesti wrote:For example one is queuing and goes in front of everybody because she has a massage appointment, not caring she is passing in front of an elderly woman, a pregnant woman, a young mum with 3 crying kids... She's a connasse :lol:

And if she would know that you call her a connasse, what I really would like to know (this is also a Concrete Specific Example of my question in that previous post):

Would even _she_, when knowing that you called her a con..... because of that very behavior (being rude to pregnant women and others), come to the conclusion that it is somewhat understandable that _you_ called _specifically her_ a con.....?

And one more thing:
Because I recently stole your Hungarian Sweets without myself even noticing (we already spoke about it, not trying to respawn a micro-discussion :)), today there are some English Freshly Baken Cookies for you. Inside them, there is a piece of paper with these verses of Somehow And Somewhat Geeky Poetry:

Someone really is happy for advancing with French much more these days
Although it seemed for a long time that he wasn't finding enough ways
But things are different nowadays, this was like being given more than just one single key
And who knows, maybe his quest-y journey will soon go on even more merrily
this is a reboot

france-eesti
Language Forum Moderator

Postby france-eesti » 2018-11-16, 17:02

:lol: Merci ! Au moins tu t'amuses bien ! :silly:
Une connasse n'est pas un Rambo au féminin... Juste... Une connasse. Il y a de la littérature française à ce sujet ! :D Et même une mini-série mais je ne la connais pas. :silly:
Ces sujets t'intéressent ? 8-)

langmon

Postby langmon » 2018-11-16, 17:59

france-eesti wrote::lol: Merci !

Avec plaisir.

france-eesti wrote:Au moins tu t'amuses bien ! :silly:

Je, seulement? :D

france-eesti wrote:Une connasse n'est pas un Rambo au féminin... Juste... Une connasse.

Aloooors... "Une connasse simplement est un connasse" :hmm:.

france-eesti wrote: Il y a de la littérature française à ce sujet ! :D Et même une mini-série mais je ne la connais pas. :silly:
Ces sujets t'intéressent ? 8-)

Pour moi... laisse-moi réfléchir à ça... je diras que cette réponse suffisait. Mais je suppose que on pourrait trouver autres sujects intéressantes dans le futur.

Just one more thing little brunette girl: As I already pointed out, you too started using some Noun Capitalization in English. I'd just like to tell you that these capitals are special. You couldn't play with them the same way you used to maybe play with the likes of Duplo and Lego, because otherwise, the result simply will be LeTTucE LeTtEr SaLaD, and it doesn't taste too good I'd say.
this is a reboot

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2022-02-13, 14:28

Emandir wrote:
Bacon wrote:Is there a translation for "jerk"? To describe someone who is really mean, rude, and/or arrogant, but is not at all taboo?
The less arrogant I can think about are "crétin", "abruti" or even "andouille".

I don't see abruti often enough. :lol: Didn't know about andouille, either!
france-eesti wrote:Couillon = idiot but in a kind, affective way... Only for men.

Thanks for this list!

Wiktionary seems to suggest that the female equivalent of couillon is couillonne. Would you say that's true?

Return to “French (Français)”