L'argot (Slang)

Moderator: JackFrost

johntm

L'argot (Slang)

Postby johntm » 2013-02-24, 4:55

Je veux créer un fil au sujet de l'argot française qui est utilisée fréquemment. La plupart de ma connaissance de ça vient de le rap français, et la plupart de les rappeurs à qui j'écoute viennent de Paris et la banlieue de Paris. Par conséquent, je n'ai pas connaissance de l'argot française qui viens d'autres pays francophones. Ici je partagerai l'argot que je sais et je souhaite que vous ajouterez à cette liste. Je compte sur Jackfrost d'ajouter de l'argot de Québec :wink: En plus, je souhaite que les francophones natifs vont corriger des erreurs (et s'il vous plaît corrigez mes messages, comme je sais qu'il y aura des erreurs)

I want to create a thread about some of the French slang that learners might be exposed to. Most of my knowledge of it comes from French rap, and most of the rappers I listen to come from Paris and its suburbs. Therefore, I don't know much about French slang that comes from other French speaking countries. Here I'm going to share slang that I know and I hope you guys will add to this list. I'm also counting on Jackfrost to add some Quebecois slang :wink: Also, I hope that the French natives will correct any errors and will give us help (and please correct my posts, I know there will be errors).

Anyway, here we go, just some from the top of my head and in no particular order

kiffer-to like, I think of it as not as extreme as «aimer», but that's because I see «aimer» translated as both love and like whereas this as just "like". Can someone else clear that up for me? Do they express the same amount of affection?

beleck-Not sure how common this is, but it comes from Arabic, and it basically means "to pay attention" or "attention"

chtar-In the context I heard it it means police. It's a corruption of «jettard» or «jetard». Here's more on it

la zeubi-penis

la bite-penis

le beuh-weed (marijuana)

zouk-to dance. Not exactly sure where it comes from or how exactly it conjugates, in the song I heard it (and looked it up) it was "zoukent" in the 3rd person plural indicative.

Mes ghettos youth-according to one site I saw it said this was the equivalent to "my boys" or "my homies" in English, and it's used that was in the one song I heard it in

putain de (noun)-fucking (noun). You could probably use it with a verb too, but I don't know. But saying "ce putain d'immeuble" would mean "that fucking building". Yes, immeuble was the best word I could think of for that example. By itself putain means bitch, whore, or slut; "pute" and "salope" mean the same.

le mec-guy/dude

Niquer-Shortened form of «forniquer». Means to fuck, both the act and the insult. The initials in the name of the rap group Suprême NTM stand for "nique ta mère", or "fuck your mother"

Verlan-I'm not gonna go into this much but I'm mentioning it because I think it's really cool. It's like their version of Pig Latin (not quite the same thing but you get the idea). E.g. mir-dor=dormir, sse-cla=classe

Merde-shit (notice the relation to Spanish "mierda" and Italian "merda"?)

That's all I can think of right now. I want it to be more than just swearing/saying dirty things in French, but that's part of slang so it's obviously gonna be included.
Last edited by johntm on 2013-02-24, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

Marah

Re: L'argot (Slang)

Postby Marah » 2013-02-24, 12:16

Je veux créer un fil au sujet de l'argot française qui est utilisée fréquemment. La plupart de ma connaissance de (ça)->l'argot vient du rap français, et la plupart des rappeurs que j'écoute viennent de Paris et la banlieue de Paris. Par conséquent, je n'ai pas connaissance de l'argot française qui vient d'autres pays francophones. Ici je partagerai l'argot que je connais et je souhaite que vous ajoutiez de l'argot à cette liste. Je compte sur Jackfrost pour ajouter de l'argot du Québec En plus, je souhaite que les francophones natifs corrigent les erreurs (et s'il vous plaît corrigez mes messages, comme je sais qu'il y aura des erreurs)

kiffer-to like, I think of it as not as extreme as «aimer», but that's because I see «aimer» translated as both love and like whereas this as just "like". Can someone else clear that up for me? Do they express the same amount of affection?

I think you're right with this assumption. Aimer can mean either " to like" or "to love" whereas kiffer just tends to mean "to like", I think a direct translation to English could be "to dig".

beleck-Not sure how common this is, but it comes from Arabic I believe, and it basically means "beware" or something like that.

I didn't know this one.

zeubi (don't know the gender of the word)

The gender would be feminine.
In my region it's usually used to express the fact that the person you're talking to is not telling you the truth. "You're full of shit! " "Mais oui c'est ça... " "tu dis que d'la merde !"
Par exemple, l'enfant croit au Père Noël. L'adulte non. L'adulte ne croit pas au Père Noël. Il vote.

johntm

Postby johntm » 2013-02-24, 20:22

Thanks for the corrections!

Marah wrote:
beleck-Not sure how common this is, but it comes from Arabic I believe, and it basically means "beware" or something like that.

I didn't know this one.

It's also spelled "belek" http://www.dictionnairedelazone.fr/belek.html#.USpyG1fEnjI
And it means "to pay attention" or "attention", so I'll go back and edit the OP. Not sure why I remembered it wa "beware" when writing this post :oops: Here's where I first heard it (and an example of it being used)

zeubi (don't know the gender of the word)

The gender would be feminine.
In my region it's usually used to express the fact that the person you're talking to is not telling you the truth. "You're full of shit! " "Mais oui c'est ça... " "tu dis que d'la merde !"

Ah, a bit like the Spanish (Latin American?) «verga», because I've heard that translated as "shit" and also "dick". And looking back to where I looked it up (yes I realize it's yahoo answers), it was defined as "ça veut dire ma bite en rebeu en algérie maroc tunisie".
«Rebeu» is like a double verlan of «arabe», and I only know that from the verlan wiki page :P Arabe->beur->rebeu
Native: [flag]en-US[/flag]
Learning: [flag]fr[/flag] [flag]es[/flag] [flag]de[/flag]
"The goal [of learning foreign languages] is to speak not so that you can be understood, but so that you cannot be misunderstood."-Earl W. Stevick
"You either get good at accomplishments or you get good at making excuses."-Anonymous

JackFrost
Forum Administrator

Postby JackFrost » 2013-02-24, 21:53

la zeubi-penis

French people, what the fuck is wrong with you? That just sounds as awful as meuf and nana. <.< :P

Ok, almost all of the listed words aren't really used in Quebec, so I'll give you the equivalents in our wonderful slang.
la bite-penis

"La queue" [kø] ("tail", also heard in France) and "la graine" [gʀɛn] ("seed")

le beuh-weed (marijuana)

"Le pot" [pɔt] in Quebec (just like in English).

putain de (noun)-fucking (noun). You could probably use it with a verb too, but I don't know. But saying "ce putain d'immeuble" would mean "that fucking building". Yes, immeuble was the best word I could think of for that example. By itself putain means bitch, whore, or slut; "pute" and "salope" mean the same.

"Putain (de)" is a giveaway that you're not from here. :P We most often use "crisse (de)" [kʀɪs], "ostie (de)" [ɔsti] in its place.

For "pute/salope", euh... "la guidoune" [gidʊn], "la plotte" [plɔt], "la chienne" [ʃjɛn] (used in France too), "la bitch" [bɪtʃ].

le mec-guy/dude

"Le gars" [gɑ] regardless of age (that usage is not unheard of in France though).

Niquer-Shortened form of «forniquer». Means to fuck, both the act and the insult. The initials in the name of the rap group Suprême NTM stand for "nique ta mère", or "fuck your mother"

"Fourrer" [fuʀe] ("to fill"). And the good old "baiser" will do the trick too.

An extra: (se) crosser [sə kʀɔse] "to jerk (himself) off". So, if you say something like, "osti de crosseur, toé" [ɔsti də kʀɔsœ:ʀ twe] > "you fucking wanker". In Europe, you'd hear "se branler" [sə bʀɑ̃le], which is also heard in Quebec.

Merde-shit (notice the relation to Spanish "mierda" and Italian "merda"?)

We pronounce it as "marde" [maʀd].

Hmmm...

"Quétaine" [ketɛn] > "kitsch", "tacky", "cheesy" Ex.: "Marie, c'est-tu trop quétaine, mon chandail?" [maʀi set͡sy tʀo ketɛn mɔ̃ ʃɑ̃dɑj] "Marie, is my sweater too tacky?"
"Pogner" [pɔɲe] > "to grab", "to get", "to be popular". Ex.: "Heille Jean, j'me suis pogné un nouveau laptop là!" [ej ʒɑ̃ ʒmə sɥi pɔɲe œ̃ nuvo laptɔp lɑ] "Hey Jean, I just got myself a new laptop!"
"Ne pas être capable" [pɑ ɛt kapab] > "not to be capable" (sorta) Ex.: "Chu pu capable, tabarnak!" [ʃy py kapab tabaʀnak] "I can't fucking take it anymore!"
"Full" [fʊl] > "très/tellement/vraiment" "C'est full poche!" [se fʊl pɔʃ] "That's so lame!"
Neferuj paħujkij!

Return to “French (Français)”