Modern Hebrew Study Group

n8an
Re: Modern Hebrew Study Group

Postby n8an » 2019-08-02, 13:04

I feel like the whole forum is really quiet.

Still, keep going guys!

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-02, 13:33

I don’t know if I have already posted this channel. I think it can be helpful. I want to try to improve my level during this month.

https://youtu.be/LrlsdN80r3w

n8an

Postby n8an » 2019-08-02, 13:46

Antea wrote:I don’t know if I have already posted this channel. I think it can be helpful. I want to try to improve my level during this month.

https://youtu.be/LrlsdN80r3w

Wow, this is great!

The conversation is very realistic too.

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-02, 22:23

Yeah, I don't remember that series. Maybe I should use it at some point. :P
Antea wrote:I surely will be posting this month, because I am on holiday and I will have more time. But I don’t follow any exercise book. In fact, I don’t know where I am anymore. I’ve been taking lessons this year, but so far I can only make basic sentences. My vocabulary is mixed with a lot of Arabic :roll:

I think that I should increase my vocabulary and also study better the verbs and conjugations. As for videos, it’s still difficult for me to understand them completely.

Would you be interested in taking a look at the book I'm using? It comes with audio and an answer key to the exercises at the back of the book. :)
n8an wrote:I feel like the whole forum is really quiet.

It was, although I think maybe it's just started to pick up again. :P
Still, keep going guys!

Thanks! I think my slower approach to Hebrew is paying off.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-03, 3:10

vijayjohn wrote:Would you be interested in taking a look at the book I'm using? It comes with audio and an answer key to the exercises at the back of the book.

What’s the name of the book?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-03, 3:17

Colloquial Hebrew

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-03, 3:41

vijayjohn wrote:Colloquial Hebrew

Ok, I have it. Actually I started with it and I think I read several lessons. Then I dropped it because I started with the lessons and I was in a hurry to be able to speak. But I kind of failed because I had not enough vocabulary. I didn’t even learned properly the verb tenses, so in the lessons I was using the verbs with the Arabic endings :roll: My teacher was hallucinating.... :whistle:

So, yes, I think it’s definitely a goo idea :D I will go back to the book and finish it :yep:

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2019-08-03, 3:46

Okay! :) Currently, I'm at the beginning of Chapter 4. I've been going through it really slowly, because when I started going through it before, I went through it way too fast and got so overwhelmed by Chapter 5 I crashed. :lol:

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-03, 3:56

When I dropped it, I was in Chapter 7. I was also going fast, but I crashed anyway :ohwell: (I like this expression).

So I can go a little bit back and review. I will start again with Chapter 5 :D

Please, if somebody is interested, just join the group, because it’s working again :wink:

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-08-03, 10:14

I'll join you guys as well (I haven't used Colloquial Hebrew in a while)

Chapter 5 is probably too easy for me, but another review can't hurt!

Great Youtube channel, thanks for sharing!
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-05, 4:20

vijayjohn wrote:Is anyone still in or reading this study group? No one else wants to post here? I thought at least a few people were studying Modern Hebrew. :hmm:

I'm here! And I just finished chapter 7 of Colloquial Hebrew recently, so I'll join you guys when you get to chapter 8. :)

n8an wrote:The conversation is very realistic too.

For the most part yeah, but what about "eizo hitragshut" ? Wouldn't it be more natural (albeit grammatically incorrect) to say "eize" here?
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

n8an

Postby n8an » 2019-08-05, 5:26

eskandar wrote:For the most part yeah, but what about "eizo hitragshut" ? Wouldn't it be more natural (albeit grammatically incorrect) to say "eize" here?

Yup, it's more conversational to say "eyze" in all cases.

Same goes for "ze" and "zo/zot". Very often you hear things like "banot ze kakha:___" (girls are like this:___). You also hear "ma zot omeret?" a lot, and neither my friends nor I have ever been able to accurately explain what the conversational difference is between that and "ma ze omer?". "Ma zot omeret?" kind of feels like something you say in frustration or disbelief (pronounced as "MASTOMERET!?").

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2019-08-05, 11:45

n8an wrote:
eskandar wrote:For the most part yeah, but what about "eizo hitragshut" ? Wouldn't it be more natural (albeit grammatically incorrect) to say "eize" here?

Yup, it's more conversational to say "eyze" in all cases.

eizo still occurs in speech and far from feeling unnatural though.

n8an wrote: Very often you hear things like "banot ze kakha:___"

That's actually grammatically correct. ze/zo(t) always agree with the gender of the following noun.

בנים זו צרה - "banim(m) zo tzara(f)" is also grammatically correct, for instance.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-05, 17:04

n8an wrote:You also hear "ma zot omeret?" a lot, and neither my friends nor I have ever been able to accurately explain what the conversational difference is between that and "ma ze omer?". "Ma zot omeret?" kind of feels like something you say in frustration or disbelief (pronounced as "MASTOMERET!?").

I understand the difference as follows: ma ze omer asks about the literal meaning of something - like when you encounter a word you don't understand, you could ask "ma ze omer" - what does this mean? Whereas with ma zot omeret (= "mastomeret"), you're not so much asking as making a statement - like saying "what do you MEAN!?"

Baldanders

Postby Baldanders » 2019-08-06, 12:52

I have some thoughts too, but I am curious first -- can you use your definitions to also explain the difference between the non-question forms "ze omer" and "zot omeret", or you don't find it necessary?

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-06, 14:06

I am finishing Chapter 6. I had forgotten a lot of things, and I am now reviewing grammar and vocabulary.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2019-08-06, 18:06

Golv wrote:I have some thoughts too, but I am curious first -- can you use your definitions to also explain the difference between the non-question forms "ze omer" and "zot omeret", or you don't find it necessary?

You tell me, you're the native speaker! I'm just learning. I think there is more overlap between the non-question forms but they can also differ in the same way the question forms differ. To me "ze omer" is more specific, so it could be "ze omer she..." (this means that... - regarding implications, results, conclusions) vs. "zot omeret..." (that is to say, I mean, my intention is). Am I on the right track here?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2019-08-11, 10:30

(page 75)

Looking at Exercise 1, I get the impression ביקר (to visit) is normally used with the preposition ב (in):

:arrow: לבקר באוסטרליה (to visit Australia)
:arrow: לבקר באופרה (to visit the Opera House)

but then...

:arrow: לבקר את המשפחה (to visit the family)

So I'm not really sure anymore... :hmm: Can you also say לבקר במשפחה ?
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-11, 15:31

I have asked someone on the net, and they said that when you visit a place you use ב, and when visiting someone you use את.

And they say that it’s not correct to say לבקר במשפחה.

Antea

Postby Antea » 2019-08-12, 17:31

I am in Chapter 7. Only reading though, and not really watching a lot videos. I think it would be better at least to have some basic vocabulary, because when I try to watch a video I don’t understand most of it and I get depressed with my level :roll:

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”