Modern Hebrew Study Group

księżycowy
Modern Hebrew Study Group

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-20, 14:54

שלום

This thread is for the formation and log of a study group in which we'll work through a resource together, and practice the language as well. There has a been a bit of discussion in my thread (starting here), but I like to shift it here. There has, in my opinion, been enough interest in Modern Hebrew to create a group. Now we just have to decide what resource to go through.

And n8an, since you may not exactly need a resource, maybe you can help us out. But you're more than welcome to follow along in whatever resource we do pick, of course. :D

My suggestion is to use The Routledge Introductory Course in Hebrew by Etzion (which I can provide to others if need be), but I am open to any other suggestions!

Luís
Forum Administrator

Re: Modern Hebrew Study Group

Postby Luís » 2018-06-20, 15:34

I want to finish Assimil Hebrew first (only a few more lessons left) but then I'm open to suggestions.

I think I've mentioned this before, but I'm a bit skeptical about The Routledge Introductory Course in Hebrew. Exercise instructions are in Hebrew only right from the first lesson, so I get the impression this is the kind of book you're supposed to use in a classroom and not by yourself.
Quot linguas calles, tot homines vales

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-20, 15:41

They are indeed in Hebrew, and the instructions are too. But the companion site gives you all of the translations for the instructions and answer keys for the exercises themselves. The companion site makes the book very useable for self learners.

Jannet

Postby Jannet » 2018-06-20, 15:42

A discussion group on the forum? How would you do it practically?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-20, 15:49

Basically we pick a resource to go through, and everyone works on an agreed upon amount for a week and reports any difficulties or questions they have.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-20, 18:09

That reminds me:
Luís wrote:I want to finish Assimil Hebrew first (only a few more lessons left) but then I'm open to suggestions.

When do you think you might be done with Assimil Luís? I'd like to time it well for you.

[I don't mean to imply the discussion about what resource(s) to use is over, rather I want to get an idea of how much time we have to decide.]

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-22, 14:27

księżycowy wrote:When do you think you might be done with Assimil Luís? I'd like to time it well for you.

I'm not sure...

But you guys don't need to wait for me. Whatever resource we'll be using, the first few lessons will probably cover rather basic material, so I can easily catch up.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-22, 14:33

That's true.

So, what resource would we like to use/start with?

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-24, 21:46

How about n8an? He can be our resource! 8-) :twisted:

J/k, I don't have a better suggestion than Routledge (in fact, I don't have a suggestion at all...). The only thing I've really ever used for Hebrew is this. (I also used this and this back when they had free trial lessons. I'm not 100% sure how much of that was Modern Hebrew and how much was Biblical because they did at least teach the phrase לֶךְ-לְךָ, and I'm not sure whether that's used in Modern Hebrew, too. I presume it was used in Biblical Hebrew).
Last edited by vijayjohn on 2018-06-24, 21:57, edited 2 times in total.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-24, 21:47

Thanks for your ever so helpful contribution, Vijay.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-24, 22:52

Colloquial Hebrew is also a pretty decent book.

I don't really recommend Assimil Hebrew, even though I'm going to finish it. Some of the lessons can be really boring and the explanations are not always that great.

Modern Hebrew: An Essential Grammar is great for beginners/intermediate learners. I love how they explain everything in a really clear and concise way.

I'm also tempted to give this book (and the corresponding workbook) a try.

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-24, 22:59

Luís wrote:Colloquial Hebrew is also a pretty decent book.

I used to have a copy of this, but I think I sold it. I'll look around though, it might still be in the house somewhere.

Modern Hebrew: An Essential Grammar is great for beginners/intermediate learners. I love how they explain everything in a really clear and concise way.

I have a copy of one of the earlier editions (2nd?) of this grammar, and I like it lot too. Not much of a textbook though. :P

Antea

Postby Antea » 2018-06-25, 9:36

I’m in :P , but if you don’t mind, I will be using Assimil. I am more used to this system. But, please, feel free to use whatever other resources are better for you.

eskandar
Language Forum Moderator

Postby eskandar » 2018-06-25, 10:44

Count me in. I'm using Assimil and Colloquial Hebrew, but happy to add other resources as well.
Please correct my mistakes in any language.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-25, 16:28

So, if we're all using different resources (I have nothing against that, btw), how will this work in practice?

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 16:38

Make goals and report in (weekly?)?

I also have digital copies of Colloquial and Routledge, if anyone's interested.

But, I have to say, after taking some time to think some things over, I'm not sure this is the right time for me to be studying Modern Hebrew. I need to free up some time for my intensive efforts with Japanese and German, but I'd like to see this group carry on, and I'll join in eventually.

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-25, 16:42

księżycowy wrote:Make goals and report in (weekly?)?

How is this different from a TAC / personal language learning log ? :P

księżycowy

Postby księżycowy » 2018-06-25, 16:44

Not much, aside from more than one person uses the thread. :P

That's why my original idea was to go through the same resource together (like a typical study group would do), but it doesn't always work in practice.

EDIT: Actually, that is a good question. How can we make it where everyone is using different resources, but this is still a team effort?

Grammar assignments?
Reading assignments?
Writing assignments?

Any other suggestions?
[I'm curious because maybe I can use any ideas formulated here for other study groups.]

vijayjohn
Language Forum Moderator

Postby vijayjohn » 2018-06-25, 23:54

I'm honestly not sure anything much more than your check-in system is necessary, really. As long as we all state our goals as clearly as we can (or at the very least say something like "I won't be able to keep up with y'all so I'm abandoning the activity in the group for now"), we can keep tabs on each other's progress (e.g. "you said you wanted to finish Chapter 5 of Unit Three by Christmas. How's that going? How far along in Chapter 5 are you?").

So far, it sounds to me like Colloquial is the most favored resource, and I have access to it, too. I can follow along in Assimil, too, at least in the original(?) French since at least the text is available for free online.

Antea, are you starting from the beginning of Assimil or somewhere in the middle?

Luís
Forum Administrator

Postby Luís » 2018-06-27, 12:41

Luís wrote:I'm also tempted to give this book (and the corresponding workbook) a try.

I just ordered the texbook (I'll skip the workbook for now). Considering verbs are probably the most difficult part of Hebrew, I think it'll be useful :)

księżycowy wrote:I have a copy of one of the earlier editions (2nd?) of this grammar, and I like it lot too. Not much of a textbook though.

No, but it's a good complement to other textbooks.

vijayjohn wrote:I can follow along in Assimil, too, at least in the original(?) French since at least the text is available for free online.Antea, are you starting from the beginning of Assimil or somewhere in the middle?

Which version? (there's more than one)

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”