What is difference of Old Hebrew, classical Hebrew and modern Hebrew?

Moderator: księżycowy

Giselberga

Postby Giselberga » 2018-04-27, 18:23

Old Hebrew, classical Hebrew and Modern Hebrew are very different
do you know what is difference of old Hebrew, classical Hebrew and modern Hebrew ?

Drink

Re: What is difference of Old Hebrew, classical Hebrew and modern Hebrew?

Postby Drink » 2018-04-27, 18:46

I don't know what exactly you mean by "Old Hebrew" and "Classical Hebrew". Hebrew is generally divided into these major periods: Epigraphic Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Mishnaic Hebrew, Medieval Hebrew, and Modern Hebrew. All these forms of Hebrew are actually remarkably similar. There are differences of course, but if you know one, you can understand a good amount of the others and learn them easily.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

Giselberga

Postby Giselberga » 2018-04-28, 9:03

Drink wrote:I don't know what exactly you mean by "Old Hebrew" and "Classical Hebrew". Hebrew is generally divided into these major periods: Epigraphic Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Mishnaic Hebrew, Medieval Hebrew, and Modern Hebrew. All these forms of Hebrew are actually remarkably similar. There are differences of course, but if you know one, you can understand a good amount of the others and learn them easily.

What is difference of Epigraphic Hebrew, Biblical Hebrew, Mishnaic Hebrew, Medieval Hebrew, and Modern Hebrew?

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2018-04-30, 5:35

Biblical Hebrew has two tenses no longer used in Modern Hebrew, some tenses and benyanim are used differently in some cases, and there are differences in the vocabulary -- besides the fact that Biblical Hebrew doesn't have words for cars, computers, bicycles etc. there are lots of words in Modern Hebrew that don't show up in the Bible, and some words that are in both have changed the meaning.
On the practical level, Biblical Hebrew is usually taught just for reading and comprehension, and no one expects you to read so fluently that you wouldn't need a dictionary so most courses use a lot of grammatical terminology. Modern Hebrew is taught for reading, writing and conversation so the material doesn't necessarily rely as much on grammatical terminology. If you have to take Biblical Hebrew anyway, take it first. You will then have a good overview of the verb system, vocalisation etc. which will save you lots of time in modern Hebrew.

Drink

Postby Drink » 2018-05-01, 14:37

caleteu wrote:Biblical Hebrew has two tenses no longer used in Modern Hebrew, some tenses and benyanim are used differently in some cases, and there are differences in the vocabulary -- besides the fact that Biblical Hebrew doesn't have words for cars, computers, bicycles etc. there are lots of words in Modern Hebrew that don't show up in the Bible, and some words that are in both have changed the meaning.

The best comparison for an English speaker would be that Biblical Hebrew is to Modern Hebrew as Shakespeare's English is to Modern English.

caleteu wrote:On the practical level, Biblical Hebrew is usually taught just for reading and comprehension, and no one expects you to read so fluently that you wouldn't need a dictionary so most courses use a lot of grammatical terminology.

Well that depends on what context you're learning it in. Many religious Jews, and nearly all religious Jews that are fluent in Modern Hebrew, are fluent in reading Biblical Hebrew (that doesn't mean they know all words all the time, just like if you're fluent in reading English, you still might frequently come across words you don't know). Even in secular Israeli schools, children are expected to be able to read the Bible (I believe from elementary school).

caleteu wrote:Modern Hebrew is taught for reading, writing and conversation so the material doesn't necessarily rely as much on grammatical terminology. If you have to take Biblical Hebrew anyway, take it first. You will then have a good overview of the verb system, vocalisation etc. which will save you lots of time in modern Hebrew.

I have to disagree. Because Modern Hebrew is a living language with millions of native speakers, there are much more resources available for learning it, making it much easier to learn. Once you have a foundation in Modern Hebrew, learning Biblical Hebrew is very easy and you'd be able to start reading and understanding things right away and would just have to get used to some of the verb forms.
שתה וגם גמליך אשקה

caleteu

Postby caleteu » 2018-05-24, 7:02

I'm finding modern Hebrew quite different. I am so glad I learned all the verb forms with all their weak forms in the traditional grammatical approach. That way I could use the dictionary right away, when the book didn't explain what was going on.
yours, Caleteu

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”