My name in hebrew (Jarle)

dcs

My name in hebrew (Jarle)

Postby dcs » 2015-12-09, 1:33

My name is an old norwegian name.
It is written as follows: JARLE.
Pronounced: JA/YA-RL-EH.
The beginning consonant is closer to a y sound than J in english. Its more like the sound in the beginning of, let's say "yearning", than Jacob, as examples.
The sound in hebrew Jacob - yod ayin kof bet - is very similar - i would say identical - the the JA-part of my name.

The end - the e in my name, is not pronounced in the english way you would say e (iiiiihh), It is more of the sound an english speaker would say when uncertain what to say: "eeehhhh".

So It's basically: YA-RL-EH.

Would this be:
Yod-ayin-resj-lamed-hey?

Or

Yod-alef-resh-lamed-hey?

The alef is basically mute, and so is the ayin, but I don't know which fits best. I guess the ayin is more correct in hebrew, but the alef is more natural or intuitive for Someone using latin letters. I know hebrew is without wovels, so I know both can be given vowels to sound correct, but one is probably more accurate than the other...

Thank you very much in advance.

Lemanensis
Country: CH Switzerland (Schweiz / Suisse / Svizzera / Svizra)

Re: My name in hebrew (Jarle)

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-12-09, 7:04

dcs wrote:My name is an old norwegian name.
It is written as follows: JARLE.
Pronounced: JA/YA-RL-EH.
The beginning consonant is closer to a y sound than J in english. Its more like the sound in the beginning of, let's say "yearning", than Jacob, as examples.
The sound in hebrew Jacob - yod ayin kof bet - is very similar - i would say identical - the the JA-part of my name.

The end - the e in my name, is not pronounced in the english way you would say e (iiiiihh), It is more of the sound an english speaker would say when uncertain what to say: "eeehhhh".

So It's basically: YA-RL-EH.

Would this be:
Yod-ayin-resj-lamed-hey?

Or

Yod-alef-resh-lamed-hey?

The alef is basically mute, and so is the ayin, but I don't know which fits best. I guess the ayin is more correct in hebrew, but the alef is more natural or intuitive for Someone using latin letters. I know hebrew is without wovels, so I know both can be given vowels to sound correct, but one is probably more accurate than the other...

Thank you very much in advance.

The sound A is more or less the default vowel, so you can get 'Jar' with just yod-resh. There isn't normally a one-to-one equivalent spelling. So Jarle would be ירלה (yod-resh-lamed-hey).
Martin
http://www.hebrew.ecott.ch <= catalogue of resources for learning Modern Hebrew

dcs

Postby dcs » 2015-12-10, 1:28

Thanks. Yes, I know this, using vocalization qametz and patach, but even though you'd get the same pronounciation, but my question was because of the way Jakov is written, as this might be a more biblical hebrew way of writing it?

I see now, after reviewing some biblical names starting with yod, I see most of them are vowed with yod+qametz, and no ayin, except for Yakov and Yara.

I see now that yod-resh-lamed-hey is equally good.

Thank you.
Lailah tov.

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-12-10, 7:01

dcs wrote:Thanks. Yes, I know this, using vocalization qametz and patach, but even though you'd get the same pronounciation, but my question was because of the way Jakov is written, as this might be a more biblical hebrew way of writing it?

I see now, after reviewing some biblical names starting with yod, I see most of them are vowed with yod+qametz, and no ayin, except for Yakov and Yara.

Thank you.
Lailah tov.
Martin

Lemanensis

Postby Lemanensis » 2015-12-10, 7:08

Lemanensis wrote:
dcs wrote:Thanks. Yes, I know this, using vocalization qametz and patach, but even though you'd get the same pronounciation, but my question was because of the way Jakov is written, as this might be a more biblical hebrew way of writing it?

Thank you.
Lailah tov.

If you search for ירלה there are a couple that appear to be a reference to a first name. ירלה סורטלנד for example would appear to be a certain Jarle Sortland...
Jacob - יַעֲקֹב - is in any case 'ya'akov' - there are three vowel sounds.
Martin

dcs

Postby dcs » 2015-12-10, 15:23

Yes, you are correct, sir. Jakov has a double a pronounciation.

Thank you very much.
This was very very helpfull.

Shalom.

Return to “Hebrew (עברית)”